Boot Problem with New Build

Wassup

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2005
Long time lurker, first time poster- so go gentle :)

I have recently begun building a two new rigs (one for myself, one for a friend). The first rig comprises the following;

C2D E6600
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3P Rev 2.0
Arctic Cooler 7 Pro
256MB Gigabyte 7600GT
2X1Gb Corsair TwinX XMS2, DDR2 PC5400 (667)
Antec NeoHE 550W Modular ATX2.0

The problem I am having is the the rig is intermittentely failing to start. I have it set up with only 1 stick of ram, no optical or harddisks- just looking for a basic bios post.

If I start the rig from cold, it boots up as normal and posts correctely (ie I can go into BIOS, change / save settings, exit, restart then it runs through the post successfully to the 'BOOT DISK NOT FOUND' message).

When I then restart the computer, the computer fails to start (ie we never get to post stage). What happens is the cpu fan spins for a fraction of a second (as does the psu fan), then stops / pauses for 3/4 seconds, then spins again, stops, etc. It looks like it is trying to start, stopping, then starting again, every 3/4 seconds.

The only thing I can do to get it to start again is to disconnect the power cable, leave it for a bit (30 mins seems to do the trick), then start it and I can get into bios. After this, the whole cycle is repeated.

I am almost clean out of ideas as to what to do next;

- all 3 power connectors are connected
- have tried different psu (antec Neo 430w )
- have tried different mobo (another DS3)
- have reseated cpu
- tried 1 stick & two sticks
- swapped ram sticks
- disabled everything I could in bios (ie fan control, power saving features, etc). All other bios settings (voltages etc) set to auto.

The bios cpu temp looks pretty normal- bios doesnt crash & its idling at a very low 35 degrees or so. So I dont think its failing to start becuase its misreading the temperature.

Im probably clutching at straws, but the only other factor is that both psu are antex neo's. The 430w is maybe on the lowish side for the rig- but it has been working perfectely well in an old P4 rig I had so I know its not faulty. Given the 7600GT is passively cooled- I think it would have enough power for whats needed.

I have been tempted to throw a copy of xp onto it and see if it thr problem still occurs after its been run-in; but Im clutching at straws so any help / insight would be great.

firemist

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Had a very similiar problem with my DS3 (1.0 not 2.0). I reset the CMOS and that fixed mine. You may want to check the BIOS version and see if there is an update to address some issues. Note that the 965 chipset will power cycle from a cold start (power removed from the unit) and start normally when shut down but power left to the unit. Also check the default RAM voltage in BIOS and make sure it supports your sticks. If not it needs to be changed in the CMOS.

Good Luck

Wassup

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2005
Ive tried the rest CMOS and no joy unfortunately (took battery out & shorted pins for 3/4 secs).

I had read about the ram issue, but thought they has all been sorted. The default ram voltage I havent tried changing though- presumably you mean manually up the voltages to see if it makes a difference.

Could you explain what you mean by
Note that the 965 chipset will power cycle from a cold start (power removed from the unit) and start normally when shut down but power left to the unit.
Im wondering if what I am seeing is actually suppossed to happen?

firemist

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
For the RAM voltage check the specs that the manufacterer claims for the stick and compare that the default value in the CMOS in within that range. If not then change the value in CMOS.

For the power cycle item, if the unit has been unplugged from the wall or the switch on the PS turned off (power removed to the MB, shutting the unit down does not remove all power from the MB) and then you start the unit you will notice the system LEDs and fans come on, then go out for a couple seconds, then come on and the system will start to boot. This is due to the power management built into the 965 chipset. I do not know exactly what is happening in this cycle, but I think it is loading/saving some values from the CMOS into/out of the backup CMOS. Some information on this is in the MB FAQ on the Gigabyte site.

When you reset the CMOS did you remove power from the unit or just take the battery out?

Wassup

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2005
I removed the mains & the battery, and then shorted using a jumper.

The power cycle seems like where Im getting stuck then. Your description sounds exactly whats occuring except it never actually starts to boot (ie no 'beep' / bios / post).

firemist

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
If you search "power cycle Gigabyte" you will see a lot of discussion on this issue. Gigabyte did issue a BIOS update to address this but I have not checked which version it is in. I have not flashed my BIOS and my system still has this behavior, but I know it and it does not concern me as I tend to leave the system on for extended periods (it is in a HTPC setup).

Most the 'stuck in power cycle' threads end up in a memory issue.

I do not see your memory on the approved list from Gigabyte so it may be something to take a closer look at.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/MemorySupport/motherboard_memory_ga-965p-ds3p_2.0.pdf

Can you get your hands on a stick from a differnt mfg just to try?

neveremember

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
does this happen with both rigs you're building or just one of them? if it happens with both, then it has something to do with how you have them connected. (i ussually assume user error before mechanical failure, especially if you have identical systems with identical problems).
Also i don't know if this is true for the C2D's, but i noticed you mentioned you have all 3 power cables plugged in. i had an issue with an AMD board once that sounds similar to your problem, and i had connected an extra 12pin cable to the motherboard that wasn't needed for my system. (don't ask me why they put it there if it wasn't needed) once i unplugged the xtra cable all was well, (of course the manual never said word one about if this should be plugged in or not).