Win2003 Server logon script and printer

I have a new Windows 2003 server. I have the netlogon share setup and a
batch file in it. However, none of the clients seem to execute the batch
(ie, they never even try to run it). I have it setup as the logon script.
Any ideas what to check out?

Also, I have a group of XP clients with 1-3 printers installed. The default
printer was changed on each from printer 1 to printer 3 - however, on a
reboot (not on a logoff/login) the default resets to the original. I don't
see any policy settings restricting this in any way. Any idea what to look
at here?
2 answers Last reply
More about win2003 server logon script printer

    Hi Steve,

    1. Make sure the user account has the name of the logon script in their
    profile. You should see it in the "logon script" field. Just enter
    logon.bat, don't put in a path if the file lives in the netlogon share.

    2. I use a vbs script that applies to computer accounts:
    You use this Policy:

    Computer>Admin Templates>System>Logon>Run these programs at user logon.
    Youshould use the UNC to to the location
    (\\servername\share\script.vbs).Here is an example vbs script that adds two
    printers, printer 1 becomes the user's default printer: (it sets the
    default printer for you each time the user logs on)

    On Error Resume Next
    Set WshNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
    PrinterPath = "\\server\printer1"
    PrinterDriver = "HP LaserJet 1000 Series PCL"
    WshNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection PrinterPath, PrinterDriver
    WshNetwork.SetDefaultPrinter "\\server\printer1"

    'Set WshNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
    'PrinterPath = "\\server\printer2"
    'PrinterDriver = "HP Deskjet 895"
    'WshNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection PrinterPath, PrinterDriver

    --
    Scott Baldridge
    Windows Server MVP, MCSE

    "Steve"
    >I have a new Windows 2003 server. I have the netlogon share setup and a
    > batch file in it. However, none of the clients seem to execute the batch
    > (ie, they never even try to run it). I have it setup as the logon script.
    > Any ideas what to check out?
    >
    > Also, I have a group of XP clients with 1-3 printers installed. The
    > default
    > printer was changed on each from printer 1 to printer 3 - however, on a
    > reboot (not on a logoff/login) the default resets to the original. I don't
    > see any policy settings restricting this in any way. Any idea what to look
    > at here?

    Thanks, I wonder if my issue is that I do put
    \\servername\netlogon\logon.bat in for the user. I shall try dropping the
    \\servername\netlogon portion. Thanks!!

    "NIC Student" <nospam@nospam.land> wrote in message
    > Hi Steve,
    >
    > 1. Make sure the user account has the name of the logon script in their
    > profile. You should see it in the "logon script" field. Just enter
    > logon.bat, don't put in a path if the file lives in the netlogon share.
    >
    > 2. I use a vbs script that applies to computer accounts:
    > You use this Policy:
    >

    > Computer>Admin Templates>System>Logon>Run these programs at user logon.
    > Youshould use the UNC to to the location
    > (\\servername\share\script.vbs).Here is an example vbs script that adds
    two
    > printers, printer 1 becomes the user's default printer: (it sets the
    > default printer for you each time the user logs on)
    >
    > On Error Resume Next
    > Set WshNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
    > PrinterPath = "\\server\printer1"
    > PrinterDriver = "HP LaserJet 1000 Series PCL"
    > WshNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection PrinterPath, PrinterDriver
    > WshNetwork.SetDefaultPrinter "\\server\printer1"
    >
    > 'Set WshNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
    > 'PrinterPath = "\\server\printer2"
    > 'PrinterDriver = "HP Deskjet 895"
    > 'WshNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection PrinterPath, PrinterDriver
    >
    > --
    > Scott Baldridge
    > Windows Server MVP, MCSE
    >

    > "Steve"
    > >I have a new Windows 2003 server. I have the netlogon share setup and a
    > > batch file in it. However, none of the clients seem to execute the batch
    > > (ie, they never even try to run it). I have it setup as the logon
    script.
    > > Any ideas what to check out?
    > >
    > > Also, I have a group of XP clients with 1-3 printers installed. The
    > > default
    > > printer was changed on each from printer 1 to printer 3 - however, on a
    > > reboot (not on a logoff/login) the default resets to the original. I
    don't
    > > see any policy settings restricting this in any way. Any idea what to
    look
    > > at here?

Windows Server 2003 Printers Servers Windows