Win2003 Server logon script and printer

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
January 4, 2005 1:46:20 PM

I have a new Windows 2003 server. I have the netlogon share setup and a
batch file in it. However, none of the clients seem to execute the batch
(ie, they never even try to run it). I have it setup as the logon script.
Any ideas what to check out?

Also, I have a group of XP clients with 1-3 printers installed. The default
printer was changed on each from printer 1 to printer 3 - however, on a
reboot (not on a logoff/login) the default resets to the original. I don't
see any policy settings restricting this in any way. Any idea what to look
at here?
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 10:17:08 AM

Hi Steve,

1. Make sure the user account has the name of the logon script in their
profile. You should see it in the "logon script" field. Just enter
logon.bat, don't put in a path if the file lives in the netlogon share.

2. I use a vbs script that applies to computer accounts:
You use this Policy:

Computer>Admin Templates>System>Logon>Run these programs at user logon.
Youshould use the UNC to to the location
(\\servername\share\script.vbs).Here is an example vbs script that adds two
printers, printer 1 becomes the user's default printer: (it sets the
default printer for you each time the user logs on)

On Error Resume Next
Set WshNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
PrinterPath = "\\server\printer1"
PrinterDriver = "HP LaserJet 1000 Series PCL"
WshNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection PrinterPath, PrinterDriver
WshNetwork.SetDefaultPrinter "\\server\printer1"

'Set WshNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
'PrinterPath = "\\server\printer2"
'PrinterDriver = "HP Deskjet 895"
'WshNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection PrinterPath, PrinterDriver

--
Scott Baldridge
Windows Server MVP, MCSE

"Steve"
>I have a new Windows 2003 server. I have the netlogon share setup and a
> batch file in it. However, none of the clients seem to execute the batch
> (ie, they never even try to run it). I have it setup as the logon script.
> Any ideas what to check out?
>
> Also, I have a group of XP clients with 1-3 printers installed. The
> default
> printer was changed on each from printer 1 to printer 3 - however, on a
> reboot (not on a logoff/login) the default resets to the original. I don't
> see any policy settings restricting this in any way. Any idea what to look
> at here?

January 6, 2005 1:00:56 PM

Thanks, I wonder if my issue is that I do put
\\servername\netlogon\logon.bat in for the user. I shall try dropping the
\\servername\netlogon portion. Thanks!!

!