Expanding C: drive

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
January 5, 2005 10:19:08 AM

Is there anyway to expand the C (boot drive) in Win2000 Server.
I want to add space from existing available (unallocated) space.

More about : expanding drive

Anonymous
January 5, 2005 11:52:30 PM

mbramlett032(deletethis)@yahoo.com wrote:

> Is there anyway to expand the C (boot drive) in Win2000 Server.
> I want to add space from existing available (unallocated) space.

Not natively (as far as I know).

You can expand it while building the server, and you can also expand
some types of Dynamic volume when your RAID controller supports it (then
you reboot Windows), but if you've got a basic disk I don't think you
can extend it into free space.

You can, however, almost certainly do this with Partition magic, but
make sure everything is backed up first.

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)
Anonymous

"Gerry Hickman" <gerry666uk@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> You can, however, almost certainly do this with Partition magic, but make
> sure everything is backed up first.

This can be tricky because Partition Magic does not work on server OS's.
One trick is to move disk to a system with client OS installed (Win2kPro or
WinXP) and resize partition from there.
But this can also be dangerous. If your original Win2k Server disk changes
drive letter (e.g. from C: to E:) , you must erase drive signature before
returning disk back. You do this with diskpart or "fdisk mbr".
Failing to do this can give you big problems (immediate log off after log
on).

Dusko Savatovic
January 12, 2005 2:11:54 AM

Dusko Savatovic wrote:

> This can be tricky because Partition Magic does not work on server OS's.

Really? Well that's good to know. I've never tried it but always assumed
it was an option...

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)
Anonymous

Gerry Hickman <gerry666uk@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> Dusko Savatovic wrote:
>
> > This can be tricky because Partition Magic does not work on server OS's.
>
> Really? Well that's good to know. I've never tried it but always
> assumed it was an option...

I am not sure what he is talking about. I just boot Partition Magic
from floppy and then I can resize anything. (The floppy version does
not even know what OS is installed, much less care.)

I have certainly done this with "server" OSes.

- Pat
http://unattended.sourceforge.net/
!