Closed

Expanding C: drive

Is there anyway to expand the C (boot drive) in Win2000 Server.
I want to add space from existing available (unallocated) space.
5 answers Last reply
More about expanding drive

    mbramlett032(deletethis)@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Is there anyway to expand the C (boot drive) in Win2000 Server.
    > I want to add space from existing available (unallocated) space.

    Not natively (as far as I know).

    You can expand it while building the server, and you can also expand
    some types of Dynamic volume when your RAID controller supports it (then
    you reboot Windows), but if you've got a basic disk I don't think you
    can extend it into free space.

    You can, however, almost certainly do this with Partition magic, but
    make sure everything is backed up first.

    --
    Gerry Hickman (London UK)

    "Gerry Hickman" <gerry666uk@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

    > You can, however, almost certainly do this with Partition magic, but make
    > sure everything is backed up first.

    This can be tricky because Partition Magic does not work on server OS's.
    One trick is to move disk to a system with client OS installed (Win2kPro or
    WinXP) and resize partition from there.
    But this can also be dangerous. If your original Win2k Server disk changes
    drive letter (e.g. from C: to E:), you must erase drive signature before
    returning disk back. You do this with diskpart or "fdisk mbr".
    Failing to do this can give you big problems (immediate log off after log
    on).

    Dusko Savatovic

    Dusko Savatovic wrote:

    > This can be tricky because Partition Magic does not work on server OS's.

    Really? Well that's good to know. I've never tried it but always assumed
    it was an option...

    --
    Gerry Hickman (London UK)
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Gerry Hickman <gerry666uk@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

    > Dusko Savatovic wrote:
    >
    > > This can be tricky because Partition Magic does not work on server OS's.
    >
    > Really? Well that's good to know. I've never tried it but always
    > assumed it was an option...

    I am not sure what he is talking about. I just boot Partition Magic
    from floppy and then I can resize anything. (The floppy version does
    not even know what OS is installed, much less care.)

    I have certainly done this with "server" OSes.

    - Pat
    http://unattended.sourceforge.net/
  5. a list of freebie as bellow may help you to extend vista/xp/2000/2003/2008 partition and you may try each one of it for it is totally free

    http://www.partition-tool.com/resource/extend-c-drive.htm

    http://partedmagic.com/

    http://partitionlogic.org.uk/

    http://www.cutepm.com/