repair install

I may be missing something after an intense spyware/malware removal
preventing me from automatic updates and someone with similar problem said a
"repair install" corrected their problem.

How do you do a "repair install" and is their any chance on losing any
settings/files by doing so?

Larry T.

repair install
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341

A repair install does not affect your files or settings but you will have to
visit Windows Update and get caught up again afterwards.

If you receive a message that the version of Windows on your hard disk is
newer than the one on the cd, then post back here for easy instructions for
making a slipstreamed copy of XP that brings the cd up to date.

"Larry T." <biker-t@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>I may be missing something after an intense spyware/malware removal
> preventing me from automatic updates and someone with similar problem said
> "repair install" corrected their problem.
>
> How do you do a "repair install" and is their any chance on losing any
> settings/files by doing so?
>
> Larry T.

Although a repair shouldn't technically affect the files on your computer it
is always wise to make backup copies of important documents just in case.
As for re-installing xp visit my website:
http://freespace.virgin.net/john.freelanceit/index.htm
Click on the Win XP Faq button and take a look at question 55

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
http://freespace.virgin.net/john.freelanceit/index.htm

"Larry T." <biker-t@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>I may be missing something after an intense spyware/malware removal
> preventing me from automatic updates and someone with similar problem said
> "repair install" corrected their problem.
>
> How do you do a "repair install" and is their any chance on losing any
> settings/files by doing so?
>
> Larry T.

Look for How To Run A Repair Install here

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Larry T." <biker-t@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> I may be missing something after an intense spyware/malware removal
> preventing me from automatic updates and someone with similar problem said
> "repair install" corrected their problem.
>
> How do you do a "repair install" and is their any chance on losing any
> settings/files by doing so?
>
> Larry T.

Well, not sure I want to attempt this now; reason: I see that when you do a
"repair install" you must download and install all service packs and updates
again and that is WHY I was considering doing then install to start with;
windows updates has stopped working.

Now I am afraid after working diligently to manually install all updates
that I may do the repair install and lose all updates then they still won't
work and I will be worse off than I am now.