GPO and Admin Rights

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
January 15, 2005 8:51:01 PM

I need to roll out an app and want to do it using MSI's w/ a GPO. The app
needs admin rights on the computer to install.

Someone told me that you could use a System policy instead of a GPO and that
it would elevate the rights for that install without having to change the
rights on the target computers.

Any thoughts.... does this make sense?

More about : gpo admin rights

Anonymous
January 16, 2005 1:30:19 AM

This is the case, and will work fine.

--
--Brian Desmond
Windows Server MVP

www.briandesmond.com
"sleddog" <sleddog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I need to roll out an app and want to do it using MSI's w/ a GPO. The app
> needs admin rights on the computer to install.
>
> Someone told me that you could use a System policy instead of a GPO and
> that
> it would elevate the rights for that install without having to change the
> rights on the target computers.
>
> Any thoughts.... does this make sense?
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 1:30:20 AM

Thx!! Do you know where I can find some good documentation to read about
this...a link or something you might be able to share?

"Brian Desmond [MVP]" wrote:

> This is the case, and will work fine.
>
> --
> --Brian Desmond
> Windows Server MVP
> desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us
>
> www.briandesmond.com
> "sleddog" <sleddog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I need to roll out an app and want to do it using MSI's w/ a GPO. The app
> > needs admin rights on the computer to install.
> >
> > Someone told me that you could use a System policy instead of a GPO and
> > that
> > it would elevate the rights for that install without having to change the
> > rights on the target computers.
> >
> > Any thoughts.... does this make sense?

Anonymous
January 17, 2005 6:56:37 PM

There's a ton of stuff on technet and MSDN about Group Policy & Windows
Installer. I don't have anything handy, but, I'd hit those two sites first.

--

!