GPO and Admin Rights

I need to roll out an app and want to do it using MSI's w/ a GPO. The app
needs admin rights on the computer to install.

Someone told me that you could use a System policy instead of a GPO and that
it would elevate the rights for that install without having to change the
rights on the target computers.

Any thoughts.... does this make sense?
3 answers Last reply
More about admin rights

    This is the case, and will work fine.

    --
    --Brian Desmond
    Windows Server MVP

    www.briandesmond.com
    "sleddog" <sleddog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I need to roll out an app and want to do it using MSI's w/ a GPO. The app
    > needs admin rights on the computer to install.
    >
    > Someone told me that you could use a System policy instead of a GPO and
    > that
    > it would elevate the rights for that install without having to change the
    > rights on the target computers.
    >
    > Any thoughts.... does this make sense?

    Thx!! Do you know where I can find some good documentation to read about
    this...a link or something you might be able to share?

    "Brian Desmond [MVP]" wrote:

    > This is the case, and will work fine.
    >
    > --
    > --Brian Desmond
    > Windows Server MVP
    > desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us
    >
    > www.briandesmond.com
    > "sleddog" <sleddog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I need to roll out an app and want to do it using MSI's w/ a GPO. The app
    > > needs admin rights on the computer to install.
    > >
    > > Someone told me that you could use a System policy instead of a GPO and
    > > that
    > > it would elevate the rights for that install without having to change the
    > > rights on the target computers.
    > >
    > > Any thoughts.... does this make sense?

    There's a ton of stuff on technet and MSDN about Group Policy & Windows
    Installer. I don't have anything handy, but, I'd hit those two sites first.

    --

    > Thx!! Do you know where I can find some good documentation to read about
    > this...a link or something you might be able to share?
    >
    > "Brian Desmond [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> This is the case, and will work fine.
    >>
    >> --
    >> --Brian Desmond
    >> Windows Server MVP
    >> desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us
    >>
    >> www.briandesmond.com
    >> "sleddog" <sleddog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I need to roll out an app and want to do it using MSI's w/ a GPO. The
    >> >app
    >> > needs admin rights on the computer to install.
    >> >
    >> > Someone told me that you could use a System policy instead of a GPO and
    >> > that
    >> > it would elevate the rights for that install without having to change
    >> > the
    >> > rights on the target computers.
    >> >
    >> > Any thoughts.... does this make sense?

Microsoft Windows