Disk management

I have a win2000 server that i am getting ready to wipe out and install 2003
fresh. I am not real familiar with disk management. I physicaly see 2 drives
in the front both 36.4 gig. But when I look in disk Management I see one disk
it is disk0 and total size is 34.4 so is it not seeing one of the drives? or
is it set up so it looks like one drive? The one I see is a Basic Disk.
Help??

What drive controller are you using? It may be a hardware mirror which is
completely transparent to the operating system.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"rocker40" wrote:
|I have a win2000 server that i am getting ready to wipe out and install
2003
| fresh. I am not real familiar with disk management. I physicaly see 2
drives
| in the front both 36.4 gig. But when I look in disk Management I see one
disk
| it is disk0 and total size is 34.4 so is it not seeing one of the drives?
or
| is it set up so it looks like one drive? The one I see is a Basic Disk.
| Help??

Actually that is exactly what is going on. I contacted IBM and this server
has a hardware RAID controller. I am working with them to gather a log file
and make sure there are no hardware problems before I upgrade the server. I
imagine I will have to break this mirror(using their softaware for the RAID
controller) then wipe both drives then load the win2003 and add the mirror
back in?
Thank you for your time

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> What drive controller are you using? It may be a hardware mirror which is
> completely transparent to the operating system.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "rocker40" wrote:
> |I have a win2000 server that i am getting ready to wipe out and install
> 2003
> | fresh. I am not real familiar with disk management. I physicaly see 2
> drives
> | in the front both 36.4 gig. But when I look in disk Management I see one
> disk
> | it is disk0 and total size is 34.4 so is it not seeing one of the drives?
> or
> | is it set up so it looks like one drive? The one I see is a Basic Disk.
> | Help??

Actually no; you don't need to do a thing with the raid configuration.
Hardware mirroring is done at the drive controller's hardware level. The
operating system is completely unaware of the hardware mirror. Hardware raid
configurations are far superior to software raids.

To do a clean install, boot the Windows 2003 install CD-Rom. When you get to
the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other partitions found. After you
delete the partition(s) abort the install, then again restart the pc booting
the CD-Rom to avoid unexpected drive letter assignments with your new
install.

If your drive controller is not natively supported you'll want to boot the
Windows 2003 CD-Rom. Then *F6* very early and very important (at setup is
inspecting your system) in the setup to prevent drive controller detection,
and select S to specify additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to
insert the manufacturer supplied Windows 2003 driver for your raid
controller in drive "A"

If you wait and then S to specify additional drivers, then it may be too
late as Windows 2003 Setup at this point may have already assigned the
resources your drive's controller is wanting to use.