Bad Image Messages

I recently had a guy fix a glitch on my laptop because the cords got
unplugged while the computer was starting up. He was able to get my computer
up and running again however, a slight problem has begun to occur. I use AIM
(AOL Instant Messaging) and iTunes on my computer. Ever since he "fixed" my
computer, I get these Bad Image messages when I start iTunes or AIM. These
two programs eventually work but not before about 6-7 messages pop up. This
is what the message reads. "The application or DLL
C:\WINDOWS\System32\winrnr.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check
this against your installation diskette." If anyone could help me with this
problem it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. -Jared
3 answers Last reply
More about image messages

    It looks like your winrnr.dll (Dynamic Link Library) file has gotten corrupted.
    It is a system file under System32. Try here:
    Start>Run>type CMD and click OK (that is the command prompt).
    now type SFC /SCANNOW (space between C and /) and hit Enter.
    Have your WinXP CD ready to insert for it may ask for it.
    SFC command is System File Checker. It will check your system for
    corrupt or missing files and replace them.

    On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 09:11:04 -0800, Jared wrote:

    > I recently had a guy fix a glitch on my laptop because the cords got
    > unplugged while the computer was starting up. He was able to get my computer
    > up and running again however, a slight problem has begun to occur. I use AIM
    > (AOL Instant Messaging) and iTunes on my computer. Ever since he "fixed" my
    > computer, I get these Bad Image messages when I start iTunes or AIM. These
    > two programs eventually work but not before about 6-7 messages pop up. This
    > is what the message reads. "The application or DLL
    > C:\WINDOWS\System32\winrnr.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check
    > this against your installation diskette." If anyone could help me with this
    > problem it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. -Jared

    Your working copy of this file is damaged or the wrong version. There are
    several ways to get a fresh copy of into the \Windows\system32\ folder.

    If you have a .\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\ folder, copy the winrnr.dll
    file from there over to .\Windows\system32\. If not successful, try
    renaming the old copy first.

    Expand a fresh copy from the \i386\ folder on your Windows CD or, if
    Windows was preinstalled, from a folder with the same name provided by the
    OEM. The OEM folder should show files as compressed (winrnr.dl_). If you
    see that naming convention, you know you have the right folder.

    Use Start> Run> MSCONFIG : General> Expand File for this task. Follow the
    on screen prompts. NOTE: The source folder is the one on the Windows CD or
    the OEM provided folder. The destination folder is \windows\system32\

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Thank you so very much. This was aggrevating me so much. Your advice worked
    great and on the first time. Thanks again! - Jared

    "Byte" wrote:

    > It looks like your winrnr.dll (Dynamic Link Library) file has gotten corrupted.
    > It is a system file under System32. Try here:
    > Start>Run>type CMD and click OK (that is the command prompt).
    > now type SFC /SCANNOW (space between C and /) and hit Enter.
    > Have your WinXP CD ready to insert for it may ask for it.
    > SFC command is System File Checker. It will check your system for
    > corrupt or missing files and replace them.
    >
    > "Jared" wrote:
    >
    > > I recently had a guy fix a glitch on my laptop because the cords got
    > > unplugged while the computer was starting up. He was able to get my computer
    > > up and running again however, a slight problem has begun to occur. I use AIM
    > > (AOL Instant Messaging) and iTunes on my computer. Ever since he "fixed" my
    > > computer, I get these Bad Image messages when I start iTunes or AIM. These
    > > two programs eventually work but not before about 6-7 messages pop up. This
    > > is what the message reads. "The application or DLL
    > > C:\WINDOWS\System32\winrnr.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check
    > > this against your installation diskette." If anyone could help me with this
    > > problem it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. -Jared

Computers Windows XP