proof

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
Which would you recomend? 1/2" vs 1/4"
The loop is a heater core, a pump, a cpu block, a resevoir, and 2 modules of OCZ with built in blocks. Maybe a VGA block later. And what is the best AM2 CPU block? Is three ports better than 2 for my application?

sailer

Splendid
1/2" gives you more volume, 1/4" gives you more pressure. If you have a pump that will give sufficient pressure, than 1/2" is by far better.

Don't know an answer for your other questions.

mcain591

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
1/2 all the way.
As far as a block:
Sexy: dTek fuZion cpu water block
Slightly cheaper: Apogge GT cpu water block

And if you go VGA cooling, don't get a full coverage block. Stay with core only blocks, and use ramsinks.

As far as # of barbs, ONLY get a 3 barbed block if you need a way to split the flow.
Also, if you use the OCZ memory blocks.... only use them if you are going to only have a cpu, with the OCZ blocks on the loop.
Reason why: 90 degree angles seriously hurt your flow. And the key to getting good w/cooling, is to have sufficiant flow.

These sites are good:
www.petrastechshop.com
www.crazypc.com

And, if you are DESPERATE for a seriously hard to find part,
www.performancepcs.com
and,
www.frozencpu.com (not the best site, marks up their prices bad).

Coolant:
Penatosin G11 coolant from petras, and a bottle of petras Nuke (biocide), and some $1.69 per gallon distilled water from your local grocery place.

If you have some questions, head to www.xtremesystems.com/forums , scroll down to Watercooling, and read the guides. I'd recommmend cleaning the inside of AT least your radiator, with some boiling hot DISTILLED water. Multiple rinses.
8)
EDIT: If you want the ultimate peace of mind, get some 7/16 tubing. Negligable perf. loss compared to 1/2. Note: you may need to either dip the tube into some hot water, or use a blowdryer to soften the tube to get it on.

wun911

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
They say 7/16 is a good go between...

I find that 1/2" fits very loose around some barbs especially some of the rads that claim they are 1/2" friendly.

Interms of a difference in temps its very marginal

HotFoot

Distinguished
May 26, 2004
There was a thread a few months ago about the impact of 90 degree bends. In the end I showed that a single Storm waterblock is the equivalent of about 50 90 degree bends in 3/8" tubing.

As for the size of tubing, larger is technically better for reducing losses, but again a single good CPU impingement-style waterblock brings more loss than 100" of tubing. I wouldn't go 1/4" unless it was far cheaper or more convenient, but if 1/2" tubing starts to make sealing more difficult, you're going to be putting in extra effort for effectively no returns. Just use what works best, and keep in mind that losses in your tubes are going to be less than 5% of total loop resistance. Invest in a good pump is all I can say.