Install from Hard Drive?

I tried using the recovery console (both the one on the hard drive and the cd
rom version) to install via source files copied to the hard drive. Neither
would let me do it. Is there a way to install Win 2k from the hard drive?
If so, should the $OEM$ structure follow the CD ROM or the Network install
format?

Hi,

I installed it from a second physical drive once using syspart.

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)

The problem is that you can not do it from recovery console as it has
limited functionality that is mainly geared towards working on existing
systems. If you want to install from flats on a hard drive, you would need
to boot to a DOS floppy to access the files. If the drives are formatted
with NTFS, then you would need to get something that would allow you to read
NTFS and you could run it from there.

--
Chris

Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may benefit.

"Brandon" <Brandon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I tried using the recovery console (both the one on the hard drive and the
>cd
> rom version) to install via source files copied to the hard drive.
> Neither
> would let me do it. Is there a way to install Win 2k from the hard drive?
> If so, should the $OEM$ structure follow the CD ROM or the Network install
> format?

Thank you. Where do I get syspart? Is it part of Windows 2000 Pro?

"Gerry Hickman" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I installed it from a second physical drive once using syspart.
>
> Brandon wrote:
> > I tried using the recovery console (both the one on the hard drive and the cd
> > rom version) to install via source files copied to the hard drive. Neither
> > would let me do it. Is there a way to install Win 2k from the hard drive?
> > If so, should the $OEM$ structure follow the CD ROM or the Network install
> > format?
>

> --
> Gerry Hickman (London UK)

Thank you. My floppy controller has broken pins, so I use bootable CDs. I'm
working on a bootable flash as well. I have freeware called "readntfs", but I
think it can only copy files from an ntfs to a fat drive. Any recomendations
on ntfs reading software?

"Chris Butcher [MSFT]" wrote:

> The problem is that you can not do it from recovery console as it has
> limited functionality that is mainly geared towards working on existing
> systems. If you want to install from flats on a hard drive, you would need
> to boot to a DOS floppy to access the files. If the drives are formatted
> with NTFS, then you would need to get something that would allow you to read
> NTFS and you could run it from there.
>

> --
> Chris
>
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.
> Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may benefit.
>
> "Brandon" <Brandon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I tried using the recovery console (both the one on the hard drive and the
> >cd
> > rom version) to install via source files copied to the hard drive.
> > Neither
> > would let me do it. Is there a way to install Win 2k from the hard drive?
> > If so, should the $OEM$ structure follow the CD ROM or the Network install
> > format?

Related to this - can I create a bootable install CD-ROM?

I have created a bootable CD (using Roxio) with a copy of all the files for
the four install diskettes (Win 2K Advanced Server) in the root directory on
the CD. I can boot a server from the disk and the install will begin and
process the files for diskette 1. However, even though the files from
diskettes 2/3/4 and the "DISK10x" files are on the CD, when the install gets
to "disk 2", it is looking for this floppy in drive A:.

Unfortunately, I do not have a floppy on this machine... and therefore
would like to be able to do all this from the CD drive.

Regard,
Erik

"Chris Butcher [MSFT]" wrote:

> The problem is that you can not do it from recovery console as it has
> limited functionality that is mainly geared towards working on existing
> systems. If you want to install from flats on a hard drive, you would need
> to boot to a DOS floppy to access the files. If the drives are formatted
> with NTFS, then you would need to get something that would allow you to read
> NTFS and you could run it from there.
>

> --
> Chris
>
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.
> Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may benefit.
>
> "Brandon" <Brandon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I tried using the recovery console (both the one on the hard drive and the
> >cd
> > rom version) to install via source files copied to the hard drive.
> > Neither
> > would let me do it. Is there a way to install Win 2k from the hard drive?
> > If so, should the $OEM$ structure follow the CD ROM or the Network install
> > format?

Erik,

Steven Bink has one solution. Check out his web site at
http://old.bink.nu/bootcd/. Here is a link to his current site:
http://bink.nu/.

Bart has a nice web page as well. Here is the link:
http://www.nu2.nu/bootablecd/. And I really like his network boot disk!

There is another solution that I have used in the past. Here is the link
for it: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=157.

--
Cary W. Shultz
Roanoke, VA 24014

http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

"E. Eggert" <E. Eggert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Related to this - can I create a bootable install CD-ROM?
>
> I have created a bootable CD (using Roxio) with a copy of all the files
> for
> the four install diskettes (Win 2K Advanced Server) in the root directory
> on
> the CD. I can boot a server from the disk and the install will begin and
> process the files for diskette 1. However, even though the files from
> diskettes 2/3/4 and the "DISK10x" files are on the CD, when the install
> gets
> to "disk 2", it is looking for this floppy in drive A:.
>
> Unfortunately, I do not have a floppy on this machine... and therefore
> would like to be able to do all this from the CD drive.
>
> Regard,
> Erik
>
> "Chris Butcher [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> The problem is that you can not do it from recovery console as it has
>> limited functionality that is mainly geared towards working on existing
>> systems. If you want to install from flats on a hard drive, you would
>> need
>> to boot to a DOS floppy to access the files. If the drives are formatted
>> with NTFS, then you would need to get something that would allow you to
>> read
>> NTFS and you could run it from there.
>>

>> --
>> Chris
>>
>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no
>> rights.
>> Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may benefit.
>>
>> "Brandon" <Brandon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I tried using the recovery console (both the one on the hard drive and
>> >the
>> >cd
>> > rom version) to install via source files copied to the hard drive.
>> > Neither
>> > would let me do it. Is there a way to install Win 2k from the hard
>> > drive?
>> > If so, should the $OEM$ structure follow the CD ROM or the Network
>> > install
>> > format?

TRENDING THREADS