AD Setup Problem

I have recently migrated our domain from NT4 to Windows 2000, everything has
gone according to plan expect for one member server that refuses to have
Active Directory installed on it. The server is a Dell Power Edge 1600sc with
DNS, WINS and DHCP installed on it.

I have tried running dcpromo whilst it has been in the domain and also tried
this whilst out of the domain, letting AD add this instead but with the same
results. The computer account is always created but never promoted to a
Domain Controller account.

The error message received whilst trying to promote this server is as follows:

The operation failed because:

The Jet database failed to initialize (error -1206). Please check the event
log
for more information.

"An error occurred while installing the directory service. For more
information, see the event log. "

Cannot find anything in Event Viewer that relates to this error but have
looked the error up on the following Microsoft site. All it tells me is that
I have a “Non-db file or corrupted db�. Could anyone tell me how to get
around this problem please an why this has occurred?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;172570

had something happen to me one time while at a client site several years
back. I don't recall the specific error but it was the same type of upgrade.
We upgraded NT4 to 2000/AD all went smoothly except for 1 member server.
After a lengthy support call to MS we essentially disjoined the domain, ran
dcpromo but rather than try to add to an existing domain we joined it to a
new domain (garbage.com if you will) let it come up successfully, then ran
dcpromo again to strip directory services off of it, rejoined it back to the
intended domian, re-ran dcpromo and joined it under the correct domain and
all seemed to work well after that.

Of course I wouldn't recommend trying this if this server houses any
critical network services