8800GTS 320mb evga beeping

Goody

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2004
Hi,

Just got this gfx card and can not get it working :(

I install the card and when i switch the power on all i get is this annoying beep, and there is no screen at all just blank.

My current system is:

Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
Intel C2D E6600 2.4GHZ
2GB (2 1GB) Corsair DDR2 800
Corsair HX620W PSU
200GB Hard Drive

I only have 1 PCI-E in this motherboard and am using the X700 right now, working fine, its when i put the 8800GTS nothing happens just beeps away.

I assume it could be a video card problem but not quite sure, is there a way i can try and get the card to work,

thanks,
chris

zornundo

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Do you have the card seated properly? I thought I had my 8800 gts pushed in all the way. I boot up the computer and get no video on the monitor, but I don't remember if it was beeping or not.

Look at the slot. Can you see any of the metal exposed between the card and the slot? if so, its not pushed in all the way. I thought mine was pushed in, then looked at it, and lo and behold, it wasn't! I then pushed it in and it worked fine.

chewbenator

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
According the the manual you are experiencing either a DRAM error (continuous long beeps) or a power error (continuous short beeps), so either re-seat the ram or check all power connectors. I doubt the power supply is the problem because the system boots up with the older card, and it looks like the PSU would be able to handle your system.

Goody

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2004
Hi guys,

I didnt have the external power cable plugged in, so i put that in and it loaded up fine. Works a dream :)

Thanks for the help guys

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Hi guys,

I didnt have the external power cable plugged in, so i put that in and it loaded up fine. Works a dream :)

Thanks for the help guys

Thats brilliant dude :D i am very happy for you , glad i took the time to give the advice as everyone else on this post.

Feels good helping a fellow member :trophy:

continuum

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2007
I had the same problem with a new 8800GTS plugged into an asus P5B mobo.
However pluggin in the gfx card power hasn't helped - the pc turns on, the HD runs, the fans run, there's no beeps but it shuts down after about 2 seconds, then starts up again, and stays up.

However there's no output on the gfx card - I just get a blank screen.

I've tried reseating the card, checked all the connectors but nothing.

I suspect that the card is dead, but it could also be a dead mobo or the psu is not up to the job (450W)

What's the best way for me to determine what's causing the problem, given that I don't have another pc to try the new components in?

thanks in advance for any help

:)