newb thermal paste question

makaveli03

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2003
I was removing thermal paste from an old p4 northwood i pulled out of a gateway and some got on the "green chip" part. I don't know what kind of crappy paste gateway used, and i put the proc back in and it worked, should I be worried? I got arctic silver for my new HSF i know that can screw things up bad if it gets on components or on the underside of the chip. will silicone or ceramic based screw up life for this processor? please let me know. thanks!

Major_Spittle

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
" green chip " ????

When in doubt clean it up. Put the paste between the HS and CPU as the directions say.

And remember, even though it is paste it is not edible like the stuff you used in 1st grade so keep it out of your mouth no matter how yummy and creamy it looks.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I was removing thermal paste from an old p4 northwood i pulled out of a gateway and some got on the "green chip" part. I don't know what kind of crappy paste gateway used, and i put the proc back in and it worked, should I be worried? I got arctic silver for my new HSF i know that can screw things up bad if it gets on components or on the underside of the chip. will silicone or ceramic based screw up life for this processor? please let me know. thanks!
You must mean you got some on the "substrate"...the green base of the CPU. Best to wipe it off, as it would suck if something happened. That being said, as long as the "green" piece doesn't come into contact with any other components, you'll be fine. Silicone/ceramic TIM's(ie: AS Ceramique) are non-conductive, much safer... but that's not a free-pass to be sloppy. Best to take caution and care when working on your stuff, to avoid possible future problems. /lecture :wink: GL :)