New build - have problems

3DGeek

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
I just completed the install of all my components in the case and turned the PC on and all I get is a loud squeal from the PC. Does anyone have the same MB that can help diagnose what I may have hooked up incorrectly?

Nothing shows up on the monitor (blank screen).

The LCD on the MB cycles through codes while the noise continues, but stops at a 7F.

Components:
Vista Home Premium 32bit
Antec P180 case
Intel E6600
EVGA 680i AR MB
EVGA 8800GTS GC
4-1 gb OCZ titanium sticks
2-320gb WD HDD's
Antec TruePower Trio PS
Tuniq Tower 120 HS
Samsung Lightscribe DVD

3DGeek

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
Thanks for the reply.

I finally found the culprit. I didn't connect a power source to the graphics card. When I did, everything booted up just fine and the squeal did not exist anymore.

I was fooled by the motherboard instructions. They have instructions to provide power to the motherboard as an auxiliary power feed for the graphics card. Well I hooked this up and didn't even bother looking for a power source on the card itself.

Well it appears that the card requires this power source regardless of the auxiliary power source on the motherboard.

Always a good feeling when the box actually functions upon completiion of the install. I am glad this was an easy fix.

3DGeek

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
Next problem.

I went through the bios settings and proceeded to install windows vista 32 bit.

On the wizard screen showing my two SATA drives, there are notes for each drive, "This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's bios menu."
When I proceed (hit next), it says "Windows is unable to find a system volume that meets its ciriteria for installation".

Anyone know what bios setting I have wrong?

Mondoman

Splendid
With Win XP, you often need to supply a driver for non-standard chipsets during the Win install process; early on, it asks you to hit F6 if you have a floppy disk with driver(s) on it. I suspect you need to do the equivalent with Vista. Did your MB come with a floppy with drivers for the disk controller?
Alternatively, you may need to ensure that the SATA ports are set to "IDE" mode instead of "RAID" mode in the BIOS.

3DGeek

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
Thanks for the reply.

Well my raid is disabled and the beginning install of Vista does not prompt for the install of a driver (doesn't have the F6 that you mention). To add to this, I do not have a FDD connected to this system.
Question: Is this going to be a problem not having a FDD installed in order to get my system up and running?
Per EVGA.com's support, I removed the battery from the MB, resetting the BIOS, removed one of my HDD's temporarily, and now it doesn't even boot up the Vista install from the DVD drive.
I did notice that now my IDE master and slave is set to none in the BIOS. This kind of makes sense to me since I don't have a IDE HDD, and only have a SATA drive. Should this be set to something other than none? How does the BIOS take care of the DVD drive being connected to the IDE port?

Ninjaz7

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
Depending on your mobo you may need the fdd to release drivers for mass storage device as someone replyed above me,for vista you may need to download driver from mobo web site :D gl.

3DGeek

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
If I hooked up a FDD that connects via USB, would the BIOS recognize it so that I can load drivers if that is what the system needs? or should I just borrow a FDD from another computer I have?

Something like this:

"MITSUMI Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal USB 2.0 digital card reader with Floppy Drive Model FA404M BLK "

There is a jumper on the MB, where the manual mentions briefly that switching the jumper will allow some (hardware?) configurations to be performed by the BIOS. I forgot all about this and haven't tried it yet.

Ninjaz7

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
That new of a mobo should recognize the drives without fdd support(I beleive).Could it be they are running at sata150 and should be running at sata 3g?Is there a pin on your hd?jus some suggestions gl :D .

3DGeek

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
I think I found the culprit.

The first time I went through the process of setting the bios and then running the system, the IDE master was set to the DVD drive. When it tried to run windows and install the software it recognized that this drive was not an appropriate bootable disk, so it failed.

When I removed the battery from the MB, it reset the BIOS and read my connected peripherials correctly, this time the IDE master was indicated as none. But it also changed the OnChip IDE Channel0 setting to "disabled". Once I enabled it everything started up just fine. Windows now recognized my SATA drive partitions as bootable devices.

Thanks for everyone's responses. I hope it is smooth sailing from here.

Cheers :D

3DGeek

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
Well Vista is loaded, but it is telling me I have 2.8gb of ram. What gives? I installed 4 gb (4-1's) and even during the boot up it indicates 4 gb of memory. So why does Vista (Home Premium) only indicate 2.8?

Anyone load Vista and experience the same thing?