When setup start i get an error message

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
January 29, 2005 11:11:02 PM

OK, i started the setup program in Win98SE and when I boot up i select
Windows 2000 Professional Setup. It starts up and goes through the process of
to a blank black screen and then the blue screen of death comes up and says "
***STOP: 0X0000007B (0X817A5030, 0XC000014F, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)" Then it
says go to a DOS prompt and run a chkdsk /f, so i do and it says run a
scandisk, so i do and it fixes the errors, but the message still comes up
what do you guys suggest i do. I considered formatting my HD but i thought
I'd post here first. Thanks :)
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 12:39:49 AM

Save yourself some time and trouble, given that you'll more than likely end
up with an unstable OS with all the remnants/ corruption left behind from
the upgrade. Best to blow it all away and go for the clean install.

To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 CD-Rom or setup disks.
The set of four install disks can be created from your Win2k CD-rom; change
to the \bootdisk directory on the cd-rom and execute makeboot.exe (from dos)
or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the prompts.

During Windows 2000 setup, at some point, will want to confirm the previous
operating system for the upgrade; at that point you'll simply insert the
qualified product install CD for it to verify. Then the install will
proceed.

Check the pc, mb or hardware manufacturer's web site for the latest bios and
or Windows 2000 drivers for your devices.

Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any network.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D...
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03...
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03...

You didn't mention the drive controller (possibly SCSI, or ultra DMA, or
ATA100, or raid, or serial ATA), but you may need to boot the Windows 2000
setup disks or CD-Rom and *F6* very early and very important (at setup is
inspecting your system) in the setup to prevent drive controller detection,
and select S to specify additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to
insert the manufacturer supplied Windows 2000 driver for your drive's
controller in drive "A"

If you wait and then S to specify additional drivers, then it may be too
late as Windows 2000 Setup at this point may have already assigned the
resources your drive's controller is wanting to use.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Tyler C." wrote:
| OK, i started the setup program in Win98SE and when I boot up i select
| Windows 2000 Professional Setup. It starts up and goes through the process
of
goes
| to a blank black screen and then the blue screen of death comes up and
says "
| ***STOP: 0X0000007B (0X817A5030, 0XC000014F, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)" Then
it
| says go to a DOS prompt and run a chkdsk /f, so i do and it says run a
| scandisk, so i do and it fixes the errors, but the message still comes up
| what do you guys suggest i do. I considered formatting my HD but i thought
| I'd post here first. Thanks :)
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 12:39:50 AM

It is a SerialATA Segate HD and i was preforming a clean install. So should i
do a format from 98 then just put in the CD and do a setup?

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> [...]
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Tyler C." wrote:
> | OK, i started the setup program in Win98SE and when I boot up i select
> | Windows 2000 Professional Setup. It starts up and goes through the process
> of
> goes
> | to a blank black screen and then the blue screen of death comes up and
> says "
> | ***STOP: 0X0000007B (0X817A5030, 0XC000014F, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)" Then
> it
> | says go to a DOS prompt and run a chkdsk /f, so i do and it says run a
> | scandisk, so i do and it fixes the errors, but the message still comes up
> | what do you guys suggest i do. I considered formatting my HD but i thought

January 30, 2005 12:57:05 AM

You'll want to boot the Windows 2000 setup disks or CD-Rom. The set of four
install disks can be created from your Windows 2000 CD-Rom; change to the
\bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute makeboot.exe (from dos) or
makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the prompts.

Then *F6* very early and very important (at setup is inspecting your system)
in the setup to prevent drive controller detection, and select S to specify
additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to insert the manufacturer
supplied Windows 2000 driver for your serial ATA controller in drive "A"

"Tyler C." wrote:
| It is a SerialATA Segate HD and i was preforming a clean install. So
should i
| do a format from 98 then just put in the CD and do a setup?
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 4:31:05 PM

Well now I've got a different problem. My CD won't load up to setup when i
tell my computer to boot to the CD, and i used the floppies and it said
"Error End Licence Aggrement not found setup can not continue." I've got no i
dea how this happend i just made the disks my question is if the CD is some
how missing a file or somtin that makes it boot up on startup. The thing is
that i've never really used this CD it was with my old computer but my friend
gave me an old compuuter and this is the onw so i loaded 98SE on not knowing
that I had a 2000 Pro disk so I've never used this CD, thanks for all the
help so far. :)

"Tyler C." wrote:

> OK, i started the setup program in Win98SE and when I boot up i select
> Windows 2000 Professional Setup. It starts up and goes through the process of
> to a blank black screen and then the blue screen of death comes up and says "
> ***STOP: 0X0000007B (0X817A5030, 0XC000014F, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)" Then it
> says go to a DOS prompt and run a chkdsk /f, so i do and it says run a
> scandisk, so i do and it fixes the errors, but the message still comes up
> what do you guys suggest i do. I considered formatting my HD but i thought
> I'd post here first. Thanks :)
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 8:37:26 PM

An OEM CD license typically dies with the machine and may not work at all
on different hardware.

--

!