When setup start i get an error message

OK, i started the setup program in Win98SE and when I boot up i select
Windows 2000 Professional Setup. It starts up and goes through the process of
to a blank black screen and then the blue screen of death comes up and says "
***STOP: 0X0000007B (0X817A5030, 0XC000014F, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)" Then it
says go to a DOS prompt and run a chkdsk /f, so i do and it says run a
scandisk, so i do and it fixes the errors, but the message still comes up
what do you guys suggest i do. I considered formatting my HD but i thought
I'd post here first. Thanks :)
5 answers Last reply
More about when setup start error message

    Save yourself some time and trouble, given that you'll more than likely end
    up with an unstable OS with all the remnants/ corruption left behind from
    the upgrade. Best to blow it all away and go for the clean install.

    To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 CD-Rom or setup disks.
    The set of four install disks can be created from your Win2k CD-rom; change
    to the \bootdisk directory on the cd-rom and execute makeboot.exe (from dos)
    or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the prompts.

    During Windows 2000 setup, at some point, will want to confirm the previous
    operating system for the upgrade; at that point you'll simply insert the
    qualified product install CD for it to verify. Then the install will
    proceed.

    Check the pc, mb or hardware manufacturer's web site for the latest bios and
    or Windows 2000 drivers for your devices.

    Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any network.

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE

    You didn't mention the drive controller (possibly SCSI, or ultra DMA, or
    ATA100, or raid, or serial ATA), but you may need to boot the Windows 2000
    setup disks or CD-Rom and *F6* very early and very important (at setup is
    inspecting your system) in the setup to prevent drive controller detection,
    and select S to specify additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to
    insert the manufacturer supplied Windows 2000 driver for your drive's
    controller in drive "A"

    If you wait and then S to specify additional drivers, then it may be too
    late as Windows 2000 Setup at this point may have already assigned the
    resources your drive's controller is wanting to use.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Tyler C." wrote:
    | OK, i started the setup program in Win98SE and when I boot up i select
    | Windows 2000 Professional Setup. It starts up and goes through the process
    of
    goes
    | to a blank black screen and then the blue screen of death comes up and
    says "
    | ***STOP: 0X0000007B (0X817A5030, 0XC000014F, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)" Then
    it
    | says go to a DOS prompt and run a chkdsk /f, so i do and it says run a
    | scandisk, so i do and it fixes the errors, but the message still comes up
    | what do you guys suggest i do. I considered formatting my HD but i thought
    | I'd post here first. Thanks :)

    It is a SerialATA Segate HD and i was preforming a clean install. So should i
    do a format from 98 then just put in the CD and do a setup?

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

> [...]
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Tyler C." wrote:
    > | OK, i started the setup program in Win98SE and when I boot up i select
    > | Windows 2000 Professional Setup. It starts up and goes through the process
    > of
    > goes
    > | to a blank black screen and then the blue screen of death comes up and
    > says "
    > | ***STOP: 0X0000007B (0X817A5030, 0XC000014F, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)" Then
    > it
    > | says go to a DOS prompt and run a chkdsk /f, so i do and it says run a
    > | scandisk, so i do and it fixes the errors, but the message still comes up
    > | what do you guys suggest i do. I considered formatting my HD but i thought

    You'll want to boot the Windows 2000 setup disks or CD-Rom. The set of four
    install disks can be created from your Windows 2000 CD-Rom; change to the
    \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute makeboot.exe (from dos) or
    makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the prompts.

    Then *F6* very early and very important (at setup is inspecting your system)
    in the setup to prevent drive controller detection, and select S to specify
    additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to insert the manufacturer
    supplied Windows 2000 driver for your serial ATA controller in drive "A"

    "Tyler C." wrote:
    | It is a SerialATA Segate HD and i was preforming a clean install. So
    should i
    | do a format from 98 then just put in the CD and do a setup?
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Well now I've got a different problem. My CD won't load up to setup when i
    tell my computer to boot to the CD, and i used the floppies and it said
    "Error End Licence Aggrement not found setup can not continue." I've got no i
    dea how this happend i just made the disks my question is if the CD is some
    how missing a file or somtin that makes it boot up on startup. The thing is
    that i've never really used this CD it was with my old computer but my friend
    gave me an old compuuter and this is the onw so i loaded 98SE on not knowing
    that I had a 2000 Pro disk so I've never used this CD, thanks for all the
    help so far. :)

    "Tyler C." wrote:

    > OK, i started the setup program in Win98SE and when I boot up i select
    > Windows 2000 Professional Setup. It starts up and goes through the process of
    > to a blank black screen and then the blue screen of death comes up and says "
    > ***STOP: 0X0000007B (0X817A5030, 0XC000014F, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)" Then it
    > says go to a DOS prompt and run a chkdsk /f, so i do and it says run a
    > scandisk, so i do and it fixes the errors, but the message still comes up
    > what do you guys suggest i do. I considered formatting my HD but i thought
    > I'd post here first. Thanks :)
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    An OEM CD license typically dies with the machine and may not work at all
    on different hardware.

    --

    "Tyler C." wrote:
    | Well now I've got a different problem. My CD won't load up to setup when i
    | tell my computer to boot to the CD, and i used the floppies and it said
    | "Error End Licence Aggrement not found setup can not continue." I've got
    no i
    | dea how this happend i just made the disks my question is if the CD is
    some
    | how missing a file or somtin that makes it boot up on startup. The thing
    is
    | that i've never really used this CD it was with my old computer but my
    friend
    | gave me an old compuuter and this is the onw so i loaded 98SE on not
    knowing
    | that I had a 2000 Pro disk so I've never used this CD, thanks for all the
    | help so far. :)
    |
    | "Tyler C." wrote:
    |
    | > OK, i started the setup program in Win98SE and when I boot up i select
    | > Windows 2000 Professional Setup. It starts up and goes through the
    process of
    goes
    | > to a blank black screen and then the blue screen of death comes up and
    says "
    | > ***STOP: 0X0000007B (0X817A5030, 0XC000014F, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)"
    Then it
    | > says go to a DOS prompt and run a chkdsk /f, so i do and it says run a
    | > scandisk, so i do and it fixes the errors, but the message still comes
    up
    | > what do you guys suggest i do. I considered formatting my HD but i
    thought
    | > I'd post here first. Thanks :)

Windows 2000 Error Message Windows