Where to get XP documentation?

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
March 26, 2005 12:57:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I have a new XP system. Actually, it was installed by my
company's IT folks, and they cleverly tell us little about
how to use and maintain the system :-(.

Where can I get XP documentation?

Specifically, what I call a User's Manual ("how to use") and
a Reference Manual (more detailed; includes admin info and
perhaps some more technical insight).

I went to www.microsoft.com, entered "xp documentation" in
the search box, and clicked on "documenation on the web".

That web page says: "to download the latest documentation
...., go to Windows Update at <link>".

When I click on the link, that takes me to a web page that
says: "to download the new version of software and begin
using Windows Update, please click Install Now".

I do not see anything there that is specific to downloading
documentation.

Since I have a centrally-managed system, I am relunctant to
select Install Now.

But okay, I took the plunge and clicked on Install Now.
After some downloading and file copying (gulp!), that takes
me to a web page that offers Express Install and Custom
Install.

I still do not see anything there that is specific to
downloading documentation.

Help!

More about : documentation

Anonymous
March 26, 2005 2:05:16 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

The documentation is part of Windows:
Start/Help and Support.
You can get just about anything from there.
Also most bookstores sell a wide variety of books about Windows XP.

To keep your computer safe & secure:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/security.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

<joeu2004@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a new XP system. Actually, it was installed by my
> company's IT folks, and they cleverly tell us little about
> how to use and maintain the system :-(.
>
> Where can I get XP documentation?
>
> Specifically, what I call a User's Manual ("how to use") and
> a Reference Manual (more detailed; includes admin info and
> perhaps some more technical insight).
>
> I went to www.microsoft.com, entered "xp documentation" in
> the search box, and clicked on "documenation on the web".
>
> That web page says: "to download the latest documentation
> ..., go to Windows Update at <link>".
>
> When I click on the link, that takes me to a web page that
> says: "to download the new version of software and begin
> using Windows Update, please click Install Now".
>
> I do not see anything there that is specific to downloading
> documentation.
>
> Since I have a centrally-managed system, I am relunctant to
> select Install Now.
>
> But okay, I took the plunge and clicked on Install Now.
> After some downloading and file copying (gulp!), that takes
> me to a web page that offers Express Install and Custom
> Install.
>
> I still do not see anything there that is specific to
> downloading documentation.
>
> Help!
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 2:57:47 PM

Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
> The documentation is part of Windows:
> Start/Help and Support.
> You can get just about anything from there.

Thanks. I forgot about that.

But I was looking for printable manuals. I still
don't see that under Start -> Help and Support.

Am I correct to conclude that MS does not provide
printable manuals?

> Also most bookstores sell a wide variety of books
> about Windows XP.

"Wide variety" is the operative word. Actually,
"wide variety of quality and completeness" is more
accurate.

Any recommendations?

I am a computer professional with 34 years of
experience designing operating systems. I am used
to printable reference manuals that tell you all the
nitty-gritty -- something to read in the bathroom :-).

Is that a thing of the past?
Related resources
March 26, 2005 3:14:23 PM

joeu2004@hotmail.com wrote:

> Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
>> The documentation is part of Windows:
>> Start/Help and Support.
>> You can get just about anything from there.
>
> Thanks. I forgot about that.
>
> But I was looking for printable manuals. I still
> don't see that under Start -> Help and Support.
>
> Am I correct to conclude that MS does not provide
> printable manuals?
>
>> Also most bookstores sell a wide variety of books
>> about Windows XP.
>
> "Wide variety" is the operative word. Actually,
> "wide variety of quality and completeness" is more
> accurate.
>
> Any recommendations?
>
> I am a computer professional with 34 years of
> experience designing operating systems. I am used
> to printable reference manuals that tell you all the
> nitty-gritty -- something to read in the bathroom :-).
>
> Is that a thing of the past?

Yes. Printed manuals are sadly a thing of the past. Even my IBM laptop
doesn't come with a printed manual, and IBM used to be the Kings of
Documentation. You can print out the Help articles that interest you,
or look for a book like Windows XP Inside Out or the like at the
bookstore.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Windows XP Booklist

Microsoft Windows XP Inside Out 2nd ed ISBN 0-7356-2044-X
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Resource Kit 2nd ed ISBN 0-7356-1974-3
Microsoft Windows Command-Line ISBN 0-7356-2038-5
Windows XP Pro 2nd ed The Missing Manual ISBN 0-596-00898-8
Windows XP in a Nutshell, 2nd Edition ISBN 0-596-00900-3
Windows XP Annoyances, 2nd ed ISBN 0-596-00876-7
Windows XP Hacks, 2nd ed ISBN 0-596-0000918-6
Windows XP Solutions ISBN 0-7645-6773-X
Windows XP Speed Solutions ISBN 0-7645-7814-6
Guide to Home Networking ISBN 0-7645-4473-X

<joeu2004@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a new XP system. Actually, it was installed by my
> company's IT folks, and they cleverly tell us little about
> how to use and maintain the system :-(.
>
> Where can I get XP documentation?
>
> Specifically, what I call a User's Manual ("how to use") and
> a Reference Manual (more detailed; includes admin info and
> perhaps some more technical insight).
>
> I went to www.microsoft.com, entered "xp documentation" in
> the search box, and clicked on "documenation on the web".
>
> That web page says: "to download the latest documentation
> ..., go to Windows Update at <link>".
>
> When I click on the link, that takes me to a web page that
> says: "to download the new version of software and begin
> using Windows Update, please click Install Now".
>
> I do not see anything there that is specific to downloading
> documentation.
>
> Since I have a centrally-managed system, I am relunctant to
> select Install Now.
>
> But okay, I took the plunge and clicked on Install Now.
> After some downloading and file copying (gulp!), that takes
> me to a web page that offers Express Install and Custom
> Install.
>
> I still do not see anything there that is specific to
> downloading documentation.
>
> Help!

Anonymous
March 26, 2005 4:39:05 PM

Joe, if this documentation situation makes you crazy, you are not alone!
"Help and Support" can be extremely obtuse at times, misinterpreting your
keyword and providing neither H nor S. Whoever designed it never tried to
use it much.

"Malke" <noreply@invalid.com> wrote in message
> joeu2004@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> > Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
> >> The documentation is part of Windows:
> >> Start/Help and Support.
> >> You can get just about anything from there.
> >
> > Thanks. I forgot about that.
> >
> > But I was looking for printable manuals. I still
> > don't see that under Start -> Help and Support.
> >
> > Am I correct to conclude that MS does not provide
> > printable manuals?
> >
> >> Also most bookstores sell a wide variety of books
> >> about Windows XP.
> >
> > "Wide variety" is the operative word. Actually,
> > "wide variety of quality and completeness" is more
> > accurate.
> >
> > Any recommendations?
> >
> > I am a computer professional with 34 years of
> > experience designing operating systems. I am used
> > to printable reference manuals that tell you all the
> > nitty-gritty -- something to read in the bathroom :-).
> >
> > Is that a thing of the past?
>
> Yes. Printed manuals are sadly a thing of the past. Even my IBM laptop
> doesn't come with a printed manual, and IBM used to be the Kings of
> Documentation. You can print out the Help articles that interest you,
> or look for a book like Windows XP Inside Out or the like at the
> bookstore.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> In Memoriam - MVP Alex Nichol
> The world is diminished without him.
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 5:51:50 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Start/Help & Support

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

<joeu2004@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a new XP system. Actually, it was installed by my
> company's IT folks, and they cleverly tell us little about
> how to use and maintain the system :-(.
>
> Where can I get XP documentation?
>
> Specifically, what I call a User's Manual ("how to use") and
> a Reference Manual (more detailed; includes admin info and
> perhaps some more technical insight).
>
> I went to www.microsoft.com, entered "xp documentation" in
> the search box, and clicked on "documenation on the web".
>
> That web page says: "to download the latest documentation
> ..., go to Windows Update at <link>".
>
> When I click on the link, that takes me to a web page that
> says: "to download the new version of software and begin
> using Windows Update, please click Install Now".
>
> I do not see anything there that is specific to downloading
> documentation.
>
> Since I have a centrally-managed system, I am relunctant to
> select Install Now.
>
> But okay, I took the plunge and clicked on Install Now.
> After some downloading and file copying (gulp!), that takes
> me to a web page that offers Express Install and Custom
> Install.
>
> I still do not see anything there that is specific to
> downloading documentation.
>
> Help!

Anonymous
March 26, 2005 5:58:42 PM

joeu2004@hotmail.com wrote:
> I have a new XP system. Actually, it was installed by my
> company's IT folks, and they cleverly tell us little about
> how to use and maintain the system :-(.
>
> Where can I get XP documentation?
>
> Specifically, what I call a User's Manual ("how to use") and
> a Reference Manual (more detailed; includes admin info and
> perhaps some more technical insight).
>
> I went to www.microsoft.com, entered "xp documentation" in
> the search box, and clicked on "documenation on the web".
>
> That web page says: "to download the latest documentation
> ..., go to Windows Update at <link>".
>
> When I click on the link, that takes me to a web page that
> says: "to download the new version of software and begin
> using Windows Update, please click Install Now".
>
> I do not see anything there that is specific to downloading
> documentation.
>
> Since I have a centrally-managed system, I am relunctant to
> select Install Now.
>
> But okay, I took the plunge and clicked on Install Now.
> After some downloading and file copying (gulp!), that takes
> me to a web page that offers Express Install and Custom
> Install.
>
> I still do not see anything there that is specific to
> downloading documentation.
>
> Help!

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry...

You are definitely part of the audience this book is intended for.

--
Peace!
Kurt

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Hi, Joe.

It's pricey ($70 list), but you should find all you need to know about WinXP
Pro in the Resource Kit. It's from Microsoft Press and I see someone else
has already posted the full name and ISBN. You can explore it and even read
it all online for free at
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Window...,

but it's kinda hard to take that to the bathroom with you. Unless you have
a laptop, of course. ;<}

And I hate to even think about printing out the whole 1700+ pages. :>(

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

<joeu2004@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a new XP system. Actually, it was installed by my
> company's IT folks, and they cleverly tell us little about
> how to use and maintain the system :-(.
>
> Where can I get XP documentation?
>
> Specifically, what I call a User's Manual ("how to use") and
> a Reference Manual (more detailed; includes admin info and
> perhaps some more technical insight).
>
> I went to www.microsoft.com, entered "xp documentation" in
> the search box, and clicked on "documenation on the web".
>
> That web page says: "to download the latest documentation
> ..., go to Windows Update at <link>".
>
> When I click on the link, that takes me to a web page that
> says: "to download the new version of software and begin
> using Windows Update, please click Install Now".
>
> I do not see anything there that is specific to downloading
> documentation.
>
> Since I have a centrally-managed system, I am relunctant to
> select Install Now.
>
> But okay, I took the plunge and clicked on Install Now.
> After some downloading and file copying (gulp!), that takes
> me to a web page that offers Express Install and Custom
> Install.
>
> I still do not see anything there that is specific to
> downloading documentation.
>
> Help!
March 26, 2005 7:22:38 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

what do you expect for $300 , consider your self lucky you even got a cd .
if they gave you a manual , they'd have to give everyone manuals . where
would it end ;-P
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 7:22:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Which raises the question, why no downloadable manual? The cost per copy to
Microsoft would be negligible, and the manual could be updated incrementally
as needed. This is how mobile phone manuals are done, and so much the
better: it's harder to "lose" a website than a physical booklet.

"Woody" <Woody@ByteMe.com> wrote in message
> what do you expect for $300 , consider your self lucky you even got a cd .
> if they gave you a manual , they'd have to give everyone manuals . where
> would it end ;-P

Anonymous
March 26, 2005 7:22:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

The "downloadable manual" consists of a knowledgebase that exceeded 250,000
articles a year ago. That would be about 150 copies of Windows XP Inside
and Out. The knowledgebase is accessed by the Help and Support Center,
along with the locally installed help articles. I realize that the
knowledgebase covers far more than XP, but it gives an idea of the scale of
the OS and what has been documented about it.

"frogspawn" <bufo@hatespam.com> wrote in message
> Which raises the question, why no downloadable manual? The cost per copy
> Microsoft would be negligible, and the manual could be updated
> incrementally
> as needed. This is how mobile phone manuals are done, and so much the
> better: it's harder to "lose" a website than a physical booklet.
>
> "Woody" <Woody@ByteMe.com> wrote in message
>> what do you expect for $300 , consider your self lucky you even got a cd
>> .
>> if they gave you a manual , they'd have to give everyone manuals . where
>> would it end ;-P

Anonymous
March 26, 2005 7:22:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Basically, someone would have to sift through the KB and integrate it into a
comprehensible whole in order to provide anything remotely resembling a
manual. The term "manual" does, after all, come from the Latin word for
"hand." If you cannot pick it up with one hand, it is not the entity Joe, I,
and millions of others seek!

I do realize that it is far too late for MS, which thought the task was too
much trouble in the beginning, to tackle the job now. Still, what we teeming
millions need could be devised. As things stand, you need H&S, the KB, the
newsgroup and several books to deal with all the Windows issues that come up
in the course of using XP or any other Windows.

> The "downloadable manual" consists of a knowledgebase that exceeded
250,000
> articles a year ago. That would be about 150 copies of Windows XP Inside
> and Out. The knowledgebase is accessed by the Help and Support Center,
> along with the locally installed help articles. I realize that the
> knowledgebase covers far more than XP, but it gives an idea of the scale
of
> the OS and what has been documented about it.

> "frogspawn" <bufo@hatespam.com> wrote in message
> > Which raises the question, why no downloadable manual? The cost per copy
> > Microsoft would be negligible, and the manual could be updated
> > incrementally
> > as needed. This is how mobile phone manuals are done, and so much the
> > better: it's harder to "lose" a website than a physical booklet.
> >
> > "Woody" <Woody@ByteMe.com> wrote in message
> >> what do you expect for $300 , consider your self lucky you even got a
cd
> >> .
> >> if they gave you a manual , they'd have to give everyone manuals .
where
> >> would it end ;-P

Anonymous
March 26, 2005 7:23:16 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I agree. I would not expect to buy a Boeing 747, and be able to read the handy-dandy instruction guide for it in a few hours, (or
even days). It's a little silly to expect instantaneous understanding of any complex system. Windows XP, like so many powerful
things, is a subject for long study before you should expect to grasp even the fundamentals.

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
"Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message news:e7sSJAlMFHA.1884@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> The "downloadable manual" consists of a knowledgebase that exceeded 250,000 articles a year ago. That would be about 150 copies
> of Windows XP Inside and Out. The knowledgebase is accessed by the Help and Support Center, along with the locally installed help
> articles. I realize that the knowledgebase covers far more than XP, but it gives an idea of the scale of the OS and what has been
> documented about it.

> "frogspawn" <bufo@hatespam.com> wrote in message news:ezdRQ3kMFHA.4076@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> Which raises the question, why no downloadable manual? The cost per copy to
>> Microsoft would be negligible, and the manual could be updated incrementally
>> as needed. This is how mobile phone manuals are done, and so much the
>> better: it's harder to "lose" a website than a physical booklet.
>>
>> "Woody" <Woody@ByteMe.com> wrote in message
>>> what do you expect for $300 , consider your self lucky you even got a cd .
>>> if they gave you a manual , they'd have to give everyone manuals . where
>>> would it end ;-P

March 26, 2005 8:01:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

basically it boils down to , they DON'T have to . they have a monopoly .
they could care less about the consumer . all they care about is the bottom
line . they continually ignore and refuse to address issue after issue
conserning their vague EULA and licencing issues to their advantage .

people like you can just accept that or refuse to . your choice .
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 8:01:14 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

You are right. Nothing like a little competition to put the fear of god (and
the consumer) in folks.

> basically it boils down to , they DON'T have to . they have a monopoly .
> they could care less about the consumer . all they care about is the
bottom
> line . they continually ignore and refuse to address issue after issue
> conserning their vague EULA and licencing issues to their advantage .
>
> people like you can just accept that or refuse to . your choice .

March 26, 2005 9:07:39 PM

In a capitalist society, market forces' drive consumer demand. If enough
people actually wanted printed material someone would publish it.

> "Woody" <Woody@ByteMe.com> wrote in message
>> basically it boils down to , they DON'T have to . they have a monopoly .
>> they could care less about the consumer . all they care about is the
> bottom
>> line . they continually ignore and refuse to address issue after issue
>> conserning their vague EULA and licencing issues to their advantage .
>>
>> people like you can just accept that or refuse to . your choice .

March 26, 2005 9:16:32 PM

Brain fart! Should read: consumer demand drives the market.

"K" <name@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> In a capitalist society, market forces' drive consumer demand. If enough
> people actually wanted printed material someone would publish it.
>
>> "Woody" <Woody@ByteMe.com> wrote in message
>>> basically it boils down to , they DON'T have to . they have a monopoly .
>>> they could care less about the consumer . all they care about is the
>> bottom
>>> line . they continually ignore and refuse to address issue after issue
>>> conserning their vague EULA and licencing issues to their advantage .
>>>
>>> people like you can just accept that or refuse to . your choice .

Anonymous
March 27, 2005 4:28:39 AM

joeu2004@hotmail.com wrote:

>I have a new XP system. Actually, it was installed by my
>company's IT folks, and they cleverly tell us little about
>how to use and maintain the system :-(.
>
>Where can I get XP documentation?
>
>Specifically, what I call a User's Manual ("how to use") and
>a Reference Manual (more detailed; includes admin info and
>perhaps some more technical insight).
>
>I went to www.microsoft.com, entered "xp documentation" in
>the search box, and clicked on "documenation on the web".
>
>That web page says: "to download the latest documentation
>..., go to Windows Update at <link>".
>
>When I click on the link, that takes me to a web page that
>says: "to download the new version of software and begin
>using Windows Update, please click Install Now".
>
>I do not see anything there that is specific to downloading
>documentation.
>
>Since I have a centrally-managed system, I am relunctant to
>select Install Now.
>
>But okay, I took the plunge and clicked on Install Now.
>After some downloading and file copying (gulp!), that takes
>me to a web page that offers Express Install and Custom
>Install.
>
>I still do not see anything there that is specific to
>downloading documentation.
>
>Help!

Windows XP Resource Kit online version:

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 4:39:12 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Consult the documentation that came with your Retail version of XP. There
should be a guide/manual in the box.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

<joeu2004@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a new XP system. Actually, it was installed by my
> company's IT folks, and they cleverly tell us little about
> how to use and maintain the system :-(.
>
> Where can I get XP documentation?
>
> Specifically, what I call a User's Manual ("how to use") and
> a Reference Manual (more detailed; includes admin info and
> perhaps some more technical insight).
>
> I went to www.microsoft.com, entered "xp documentation" in
> the search box, and clicked on "documenation on the web".
>
> That web page says: "to download the latest documentation
> ..., go to Windows Update at <link>".
>
> When I click on the link, that takes me to a web page that
> says: "to download the new version of software and begin
> using Windows Update, please click Install Now".
>
> I do not see anything there that is specific to downloading
> documentation.
>
> Since I have a centrally-managed system, I am relunctant to
> select Install Now.
>
> But okay, I took the plunge and clicked on Install Now.
> After some downloading and file copying (gulp!), that takes
> me to a web page that offers Express Install and Custom
> Install.
>
> I still do not see anything there that is specific to
> downloading documentation.
>
> Help!

Anonymous
March 27, 2005 4:39:13 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Mine weighs about 5 grams.

> Consult the documentation that came with your Retail version of XP. There
> should be a guide/manual in the box.
>
> --
>
> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>

> <joeu2004@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I have a new XP system. Actually, it was installed by my
> > company's IT folks, and they cleverly tell us little about
> > how to use and maintain the system :-(.
> >
> > Where can I get XP documentation?
> >
> > Specifically, what I call a User's Manual ("how to use") and
> > a Reference Manual (more detailed; includes admin info and
> > perhaps some more technical insight).
> >
> > I went to www.microsoft.com, entered "xp documentation" in
> > the search box, and clicked on "documenation on the web".
> >
> > That web page says: "to download the latest documentation
> > ..., go to Windows Update at <link>".
> >
> > When I click on the link, that takes me to a web page that
> > says: "to download the new version of software and begin
> > using Windows Update, please click Install Now".
> >
> > I do not see anything there that is specific to downloading
> > documentation.
> >
> > Since I have a centrally-managed system, I am relunctant to
> > select Install Now.
> >
> > But okay, I took the plunge and clicked on Install Now.
> > After some downloading and file copying (gulp!), that takes
> > me to a web page that offers Express Install and Custom
> > Install.
> >
> > I still do not see anything there that is specific to
> > downloading documentation.
> >
> > Help!

Anonymous
March 27, 2005 1:36:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Ah good so you got one then :-)

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

> Mine weighs about 5 grams.
>
> "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
> > Consult the documentation that came with your Retail version of XP.
There
> > should be a guide/manual in the box.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
> >

> > <joeu2004@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > I have a new XP system. Actually, it was installed by my
> > > company's IT folks, and they cleverly tell us little about
> > > how to use and maintain the system :-(.
> > >
> > > Where can I get XP documentation?
> > >
> > > Specifically, what I call a User's Manual ("how to use") and
> > > a Reference Manual (more detailed; includes admin info and
> > > perhaps some more technical insight).
> > >
> > > I went to www.microsoft.com, entered "xp documentation" in
> > > the search box, and clicked on "documenation on the web".
> > >
> > > That web page says: "to download the latest documentation
> > > ..., go to Windows Update at <link>".
> > >
> > > When I click on the link, that takes me to a web page that
> > > says: "to download the new version of software and begin
> > > using Windows Update, please click Install Now".
> > >
> > > I do not see anything there that is specific to downloading
> > > documentation.
> > >
> > > Since I have a centrally-managed system, I am relunctant to
> > > select Install Now.
> > >
> > > But okay, I took the plunge and clicked on Install Now.
> > > After some downloading and file copying (gulp!), that takes
> > > me to a web page that offers Express Install and Custom
> > > Install.
> > >
> > > I still do not see anything there that is specific to
> > > downloading documentation.
> > >
> > > Help!

March 27, 2005 6:31:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

im searching for manuals too,prefer ones that i can download on to pc and
read through them on here ,as then i could step by step go through them ,and
wotk with them and pc at same time
kelly

"Harry Ohrn" wrote:

> Ah good so you got one then :-)
>
> --
>
> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>

> "frogspawn" <bufo@hatespam.com> wrote in message
> > Mine weighs about 5 grams.
> >
> > "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
> > > Consult the documentation that came with your Retail version of XP.
> There
> > > should be a guide/manual in the box.
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> > > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
> > >

> > > <joeu2004@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
March 27, 2005 9:05:53 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

It boggles the mind to think of the savings in time and effort if this were
to come to pass. Fortunately, this dilemma is not likely to arise anytime
soon. ;-}

"kelly" <kellypotticary@msn.com> wrote in message
> im searching for manuals too,prefer ones that i can download on to pc and
> read through them on here ,as then i could step by step go through them
,and
> wotk with them and pc at same time
> kelly
>
> "Harry Ohrn" wrote:
>
> > Ah good so you got one then :-)
> >
> > --
> >
> > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
> >

> > "frogspawn" <bufo@hatespam.com> wrote in message
> > > Mine weighs about 5 grams.
> > >
> > > "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
> > There

Anonymous
March 28, 2005 12:52:20 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I think others have already mentioned it - Windows XP Inside and Out is an
excellent book and great resource to have. Makes for some pretty good
reading, plus a copy is included on CD that you can install on your pc.

I have referenced it numerous times, and between reading these forums and
that book, have learned a lot of the ins and outs of Windows XP.

No, it is not a free download, but in my opinion, well worth the cost.

Don Burnette

kelly wrote:
> im searching for manuals too,prefer ones that i can download on to pc
> and read through them on here ,as then i could step by step go
> through them ,and wotk with them and pc at same time
> kelly
>
> "Harry Ohrn" wrote:
>
>> Ah good so you got one then :-)
>>
>> --
>>
>> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
>> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>>

>> "frogspawn" <bufo@hatespam.com> wrote in message
>>> Mine weighs about 5 grams.
>>>
>>> "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message

Anonymous
March 28, 2005 12:52:21 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I checked on Amazon, and the paperback version can be had, either new or
used, for just under US $30.

"Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
news:o 93gnE0MFHA.2132@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> I think others have already mentioned it - Windows XP Inside and Out is an
> excellent book and great resource to have. Makes for some pretty good
> reading, plus a copy is included on CD that you can install on your pc.
>
> I have referenced it numerous times, and between reading these forums and
> that book, have learned a lot of the ins and outs of Windows XP.
>
> No, it is not a free download, but in my opinion, well worth the cost.
>

> Don Burnette
>

> kelly wrote:
> > im searching for manuals too,prefer ones that i can download on to pc
> > and read through them on here ,as then i could step by step go
> > through them ,and wotk with them and pc at same time
> > kelly
> >
> > "Harry Ohrn" wrote:
> >
> >> Ah good so you got one then :-)
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> >> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
> >>

> >> "frogspawn" <bufo@hatespam.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
March 28, 2005 9:07:28 PM

kurttrail Wrote:

> http://tinyurl.com/4v5ey
>
> You are definitely part of the audience this book is intended for.
>
> --
> Peace!
> Kurt
> Self-anointed Moderator
> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

"I am a computer professional with 34 years of
experience designing operating systems. I am used
to printable reference manuals that tell you all the
nitty-gritty -- something to read in the bathroom :-)."

I certainly doubt it.

--
Tokakeke

Tokakeke's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=7126
View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=1819053748
March 28, 2005 10:05:02 PM

In microsoft.public.windowsxp.general frogspawn <bufo@hatespam.com> wrote:
> I checked on Amazon, and the paperback version can be had, either new or
> used, for just under US $30.

it is now in the 2nd edition; look for the 1st edition at a steep
discount, less than $10 should be expected. Also, the 1st edition's
ebook is a big .CHM file (cut/paste/print allowed), better than the 2nd's
cumbersome, read-only .PDF, IMHO.
!