So what is your job?

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
As you all know Tom's Hardware is the very center of news and entertainment for most computer technicians and engineers as well as alot of other electronic careers. Im 17 still cant think what i want to do for a career, except computers and business is what im thinking about. Im the best in my class in entrepreneurship and all of my computer classes. Now what i was hoping is yall will do is post what you all do how many years of college, how many years on the job, a job description, and if your brave enough how much you make per hour or year (salary).

This CAN be a interesting topic that CAN potentially forever change someones future career.

PS: yes its in wrong place cant find a good visited spot for it.
PSS: IF WHAT YOU POST WILL BE NEGATIVE DONT POST!

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
I've just turned 18, and am staying an extra year in high school to complete Calculus and some Repeat Courses to get me into Co-op Program for Computer Engineering, So Computer Engineering is my opinion(being in your age bracket)

gr8mikey

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002
Sadly, I only completed 2 years of college. Was leaning toward becoming an engineer. Anyway, I ran out of money and had to go to work. For the last 4 years I have been doing CAD/CAM stuff as a wire EDM operator. I make punch and die sets which are used for stamping rotor/stator laminations. Pay is only about 35k a year, but I enjoy it and its only 5 minutes from home.

Phanboy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
I am a computer engineer working for Intel (design and design validation). I have a BS in Computer Science. Intel is an exciting company to work for, and I enjoy reading the TG Forumz daily. Although, I have to say, when I hang out with my AMD friends, we are much more civil and dispassionate than some people here. ;)

And my remarks never, in any way, reflect the views of my employer.

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I am a computer engineer working for Intel (design and design validation). I have a BS in Computer Science. Intel is an exciting company to work for, and I enjoy reading the TG Forumz daily. Although, I have to say, when I hang out with my AMD friends, we are much more civil and dispassionate than some people here. ;)

And my remarks never, in any way, reflect the views of my employer.

Is there any way you can give us more info on that via post or PM?
2 years ago i thought i wanted to work there but i had a feeling it would be extremely stressful and bad pay ($50k or below). Any more info on what its
like there? and where is it located?
Im sure working there is the same as AMD.

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Going on 3 years in my current "IT Manager" position, aroun 120 person office at a 30,000 person civil engineering company. BS in ICS.... not that it did me much good to be honest, the programming end didn't end up beign what I wanted to do. 3rd position doing some sort of IT work, started off as a mortgage company in school doing refis and low-end (and I mean low) helpdesk as needed since the local IT guy didn't do much....

Gaming enthusiast ;) Usually make an ass of myself on the boards here, I'm sure.

fredgiblet

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
IT Consultant/Network Technician

2 Years of college (AAS degree)

Just under 1 year on the job

Mostly I fix other companies networks and try to keep the computers around here running smoothly, most of my time is spent re-installing OS's and figuring out weird problems that customers have. I'm also the most junior tech here so I get to do the bitch work (like crawling around in the ceiling whenever someone wants to put a person where there isn't a network jack).

$24k a year (and I'm due for a raise)

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
I've got 2 - 3 Friends in Waterloo. One is in first year Computer Science and another in Masters for Software Engineering, Not sure if he just Graduated or this is his last year?

MrSiko

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Didnt finish University, although did a year and half or Computer Science.

Been a developer/programmer/dba/system builder for 15 years.

I don't personnally recommend the programming end of things, if you have the choice to go into the engineering aspect of the industry. That's where I reckon the real buzz is.

Like the above, if I had been given a crystal ball when I was 16 I would now definitely be doing microcode for AMD.

And gamer since birth :twisted:

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Engineering seems to be the resounding Recommendation, and like the poster below The Software side is being shunned because it's just very difficult and very annoying field.

MrSiko

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Exactly.

Software development is changing quite quickly these days.

The idea of a lone maverick coding into the early hours is very rare indeed. These days as a coder you are more likely to find yourself in a very large team, with extensive and intrusive project and change management dictating your every step.

Especially now that multi-threading is coming to the fore.

All is not bad however. There is a lot of satisfaction from coding, and just staying on the learning curve can be rewarding.

hognose

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2007
Had I forseen how keenly interested in technology i would have become;i would have persued an education along the lines of becoming an engineer for AMD.
I am not a programmer type mentality,I only know what dos etc i need to know.As far as software goes i am learning about network security from reading.As far as work goes i have settled for brainless jobs for the most part.Only recently have i discovered a keen interest in more technical persuits.

I have been building and maintaining pc's for 4 years or better.I would rather be an engineer :wink:

verndewd...I found myself in a similar position many years ago....and all I can say is go for it. In my experience when people pursue employment in areas they are passionate about they invariably find success. It may not happen as fast as you would like, but if you don't give up, and you aren't a moron(clearly you are not) you'll get there.

hognose

chewbenator

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
Comp Sci Major at Iowa State Univ.

Coming through my second semester here and I'm really enjoying it. 50K a year isn't bad pay especially for entry level salary, but that's my opinion.

vangvace

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
hmm.... the long name for my job is "Computer, Network, Switching and Cryptographic Systems".

I currently work on telephone switches, Cisco family of hardware, multiplexers, crypto, ATM switches, fiber optics, and occasionally some other stuff. All in a mobile set-up.

I have a AAS in Electronics Technology? ( I can never remember what it says) and am working towards a BS in computers as well as my CCNA cert.

Currently my base salary is ~3500 a month, full medical and dental, and the chance to make more depending on where I'm living

9 Years military and counting.

Oh and on the really bad days I call a buddy of mine in EOD and go blow something up :twisted: :p :twisted:

Cruz

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
"computers and business is what im thinking about. Im the best in my class in entrepreneurship and all of my computer classes."

bachelors degree in finance and economics, farmer on three continents, and I import-export agricultural commodities on my own account (no, not dope or drugs). I use computers to develop and maintain a list of contacts, research and spot trends, and buy and sell something about which I know.
Have you been watching the price of corn lately? ALL commodities are going up fast and, generally, through the economic law of substitution, it will affect all of our lives greatly in just the near future.
These are incredibly exciting times filled with opportunity, but you need to think outside the box.
Buy low, sell high.

knightrous

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
I'm 19, and I'm the IT Support/Network Administrator/Technological Co-ordinator at a Agriservice company here in Australia.

I finished school, did 18 months tafe, couldn't get a start in the IT industry, so I took a gamble and started running my own IT consulting business. I picked up work pretty quick and enjoyed the good money ($1600 a week is good... :D) But it was a bit patchy at times and I eventually started consulting for the company I work for now, who took me on full time with a salary (Back to $600 a week now... But at least I get all the bonuses :D) and have been working here for nearly a year :)

For those who are leaving school. Even if your marks are not the best, just show an employer that your keen and your willing to learn and you'll most likely get your foot in the door. I scored my job despite haven't the least experience because I was keen and I was happy to admit when I didn't know something and would find out what I needed to know. I was one of those guys who just passed all his IT courses at school, because Alcohol, Girls and Combat Robots were more exciting then reading text books all weekend :roll: :oops: