Can I sysprep after the fact?

I am familiar with cloning and sysprep, but I ran into a situation
today at home, whereby my wife's computer died (more accurately her
hard drive) so now that I have replaced it I want to spare myself the
pain and trouble of doing a manual install and obviously I figured
cloning my PC would be the quickest way.

There are significant hardware differences however so, what I could do
is sysprep my machine, clone it and image it to hers *BUT* that would
mean I would lose the functionality of my machine and have to go
through the restoring drivers etc.

I am wondering if it is somehow possible for me to ghost my computer
without syspreping it, image my wife's and *THEN* somehow sysprep hers
from a command prompt or something?

the only other way I can figure on doing this is to ghost my machine,
then sysprep my machine, then ghost it again and then restore the
non-syspreped image, but that seems like a pain.

TIA
8 answers Last reply
More about sysprep fact

    "Telecom Consultant" <telecommunication@sympatico.ca> wrote in

    > I am familiar with cloning and sysprep, but I ran into a situation
    > today at home, whereby my wife's computer died (more accurately
    > her hard drive) so now that I have replaced it I want to spare
    > myself the pain and trouble of doing a manual install and
    > obviously I figured cloning my PC would be the quickest way.
    >
    > There are significant hardware differences however so, what I
    > could do is sysprep my machine, clone it and image it to hers
    > *BUT* that would mean I would lose the functionality of my machine
    > and have to go through the restoring drivers etc.
    >
    > I am wondering if it is somehow possible for me to ghost my
    > computer without syspreping it, image my wife's and *THEN* somehow
    > sysprep hers from a command prompt or something?
    >
    > the only other way I can figure on doing this is to ghost my
    > machine, then sysprep my machine, then ghost it again and then
    > restore the non-syspreped image, but that seems like a pain.

    Use NewSID: http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/newsid.shtml.

    I actually used this in a learning center at work. I made a dual-boot
    Windows 98/Windows 2000 image. Windows 2000 was on the second
    partition. When the sysprep ran it kept changing the ARC path to the
    WINNT folder in the boot.ini to the first partition and Windows 2000
    would then fail to load. So I made a image as usual, but did not
    sysprep it. Then I used NewSID on each PC. I could then join each to
    the domain without problems.

    Sysinternals has other slick stuff check it out!

    Adam

    Ok . major problems!

    I have syspreped and imaged hundreds of machines before, but have
    never run into this problem. I figured that I can't run sysprep from a
    command prompt to sysprep an image that has not already undergone the
    sysprep process..so....I made a standard image of my machine. Then
    syspreped it and created another image (two images, one syspreped the
    other not).

    I then proceeded to ghost my wife's machine with the syspreped version
    of mine. On reboot it goes to the "starting windows" screen gets to
    100% and freezes.

    Ok, so I figure that there must be some hardware issue, so I
    re-sysprep my machine with the -pnp switch and create another image. I
    rebooted my machine (the source machine) to see what would happen and
    I ended up with a blue screen error and couldn't get into windows. No
    idea why that would happen as I figured on getting the usual
    mini-setup and a enumeration of all plug and play devices, but no. I
    restored my machine from the first non-syspreped image and all is ok
    now.

    As for my wife's machine, I used the -pnp switched version of the
    image and upon restart the same thing. Windows Starting 100% and it
    hangs.

    I can't figure this out but the only major difference is the source
    machine is an Intel 815 based chipset and the destination machine is a
    SiS chipset. Is there something I need to do to force the image to
    redetect the motherboard chipsets? isn't the HAL already wiped? Is
    there a way to do this from the registry as I can get into the imaged
    machine by using Winternals ERD commander. Just trying to avoid
    re-imaging the source machine again.

    TIA

    "Telecom Consultant" <telecommunication@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> [...]
    <snip>
    > I am wondering if it is somehow possible for me to ghost my computer
    > without syspreping it, image my wife's and *THEN* somehow sysprep
    hers
    > from a command prompt or something?
    >
    > the only other way I can figure on doing this is to ghost my
    machine,
    > then sysprep my machine, then ghost it again and then restore the
    > non-syspreped image, but that seems like a pain.
    >
    > TIA

    I should add that I get the same thing when I try to boot to safemode
    (starting...100%...hangs).

    > Ok . major problems!
    >
    > I have syspreped and imaged hundreds of machines before, but have
    > never run into this problem. I figured that I can't run sysprep from
    > command prompt to sysprep an image that has not already undergone
    the
    > sysprep process..so....I made a standard image of my machine. Then
    > syspreped it and created another image (two images, one syspreped
    the
    > other not).
    >
    > I then proceeded to ghost my wife's machine with the syspreped
    version
    > of mine. On reboot it goes to the "starting windows" screen gets to
    > 100% and freezes.
    >
    > Ok, so I figure that there must be some hardware issue, so I
    > re-sysprep my machine with the -pnp switch and create another image.
    > rebooted my machine (the source machine) to see what would happen
    and
    > I ended up with a blue screen error and couldn't get into windows.
    No
    > idea why that would happen as I figured on getting the usual
    > mini-setup and a enumeration of all plug and play devices, but no. I
    > restored my machine from the first non-syspreped image and all is ok
    > now.
    >
    > As for my wife's machine, I used the -pnp switched version of the
    > image and upon restart the same thing. Windows Starting 100% and it
    > hangs.
    >
    > I can't figure this out but the only major difference is the source
    > machine is an Intel 815 based chipset and the destination machine is
    > SiS chipset. Is there something I need to do to force the image to
    > redetect the motherboard chipsets? isn't the HAL already wiped? Is
    > there a way to do this from the registry as I can get into the
    imaged
    > machine by using Winternals ERD commander. Just trying to avoid
    > re-imaging the source machine again.
    >
    > TIA
    >

    > "Telecom Consultant" <telecommunication@sympatico.ca> wrote in
    message
    > <snip>
    > > I am wondering if it is somehow possible for me to ghost my
    computer
    > > without syspreping it, image my wife's and *THEN* somehow sysprep
    > hers
    > > from a command prompt or something?
    > >
    > > the only other way I can figure on doing this is to ghost my
    > machine,
    > > then sysprep my machine, then ghost it again and then restore the
    > > non-syspreped image, but that seems like a pain.
    > >
    > > TIA

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    I should also mention that I am going from a Intel P-III to an AMD
    Duron processor. Maybe thats the problem.?
    Should I look at removing the PCIIDE key under the ENUM registry entry
    to get it to redetect the IDE drive controllers? I figured that I
    would be getting inaccessable boot device if it was an IDE issue, but
    Windows does seem to be starting just freezes right befor taking me to
    the login screen.
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    > I should also mention that I am going from a Intel P-III to an AMD
    > Duron processor. Maybe thats the problem.?
    > Should I look at removing the PCIIDE key under the ENUM registry
    > entry to get it to redetect the IDE drive controllers? I figured
    > that I would be getting inaccessable boot device if it was an IDE
    > issue, but Windows does seem to be starting just freezes right
    > befor taking me to the login screen.

    I've been making progress on an image that now works on 3 different PCs
    and 1 laptop using sysprep. Take a looksie at this work-in-progress:

    http://stealth.kirenet.com/~aleinss/w2k_universial_image_guide.doc

    Granted, this is for a company, but you can use the same steps at home.
    I plan to upload all this information to my web site when it is tested
    and polished.

    It sounds like you either have a HAL issue or an IDE issue. Try this
    line in your sysprep.inf under the [Unattended] section:

    UpdateUPHAL=ACPIPIC_UP,C:\WINNT\Inf\Hal.inf

    Adam
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    "Adam Leinss" <aleinss@techie.com> wrote in message
    snip> It sounds like you either have a HAL issue or an IDE issue. Try
    this
    > line in your sysprep.inf under the [Unattended] section:
    >
    > UpdateUPHAL=ACPIPIC_UP,C:\WINNT\Inf\Hal.inf
    >
    > Adam

    Thanks Adam,

    It turns out that going from an Intel CPU to an AMD CPU is an
    unsupported scenario with sysprep. Who knew? I had never run across
    that before and figured it wouldn't matter, but alas, I had to bite
    the bullet and do a clean install, total drag man. Oh well.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Why can't you just boot off the win2k cd and do a repair?

    Telecom Consultant wrote:
    > "Adam Leinss" <aleinss@techie.com> wrote in message
    > snip> It sounds like you either have a HAL issue or an IDE issue. Try
    > this
    >
    >>line in your sysprep.inf under the [Unattended] section:
    >>
    >>UpdateUPHAL=ACPIPIC_UP,C:\WINNT\Inf\Hal.inf
    >>
    >>Adam
    >

    > Thanks Adam,
    >
    > It turns out that going from an Intel CPU to an AMD CPU is an
    > unsupported scenario with sysprep. Who knew? I had never run across
    > that before and figured it wouldn't matter, but alas, I had to bite
    > the bullet and do a clean install, total drag man. Oh well.

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Actually I tried that.

    I imaged the system as described in my previous posts and tried doing
    an in place upgrade to preserve the applications, but that had no
    impact at all. Still froze up at 100% on the Starting Windows progress
    screen.

    I then proceeded to do a repair of the old system but that seems to
    just check file versions and had no positive results. I then
    proceeded to do an overlay install, but the apps where so messed up
    that I just went back in and reformatted and did a fresh install. I
    also used an ERD Commander CD to get into the system and edit the
    registry, where as a last resort I deleted the entire ENUM branch.
    That didn't work either.

    Something in a Windows 2K/XP install is specific to the processor. I
    just don't know what.

    All in all a hard lesson to learn. I have imaged literally hundreds of
    machines, but I have never run into a Intel to AMD situation. Go
    figure :-)

    "Achmed" <aturdball@home.com> wrote in message
    > Why can't you just boot off the win2k cd and do a repair?
    >
    > Telecom Consultant wrote:
    > > "Adam Leinss" <aleinss@techie.com> wrote in message
    > > snip> It sounds like you either have a HAL issue or an IDE issue.
    Try
    > > this
    > >
    > >>line in your sysprep.inf under the [Unattended] section:
    > >>
    > >>UpdateUPHAL=ACPIPIC_UP,C:\WINNT\Inf\Hal.inf
    > >>
    > >>Adam
    > >

    > > Thanks Adam,
    > >
    > > It turns out that going from an Intel CPU to an AMD CPU is an
    > > unsupported scenario with sysprep. Who knew? I had never run
    across
    > > that before and figured it wouldn't matter, but alas, I had to
    bite
    > > the bullet and do a clean install, total drag man. Oh well.

Windows