Backup 101

Hello XPers

How do you backup your files? Other than just copying everything onto a CD?
I'm looking to backup several gigabytes worth of data in case my hard drive
crashes. Using XP Home.

Can these new USB drives be used for backups?

Robert
24 answers Last reply
More about backup

    XP Home edition does not have a backup feature. XP Pro does. You can
    buy a third party app like Symantac's Ghost drive. Backing up personal files
    such as documents, photos, etc. to a CD or an external USB drive is also
    good.
    XP Home does have a Restore feature but that is only for system files.

    "Robert" wrote:

    > Hello XPers
    >
    > How do you backup your files? Other than just copying everything onto a CD?
    > I'm looking to backup several gigabytes worth of data in case my hard drive
    > crashes. Using XP Home.
    >
    > Can these new USB drives be used for backups?
    >
    > Robert

    USB2 drives are excellent for backups. The XP backup utility is not
    installed during setup but you can install it from the cd or from this
    source:
    backup.exe http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#backup_home

    "Robert" <projecttoday@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hello XPers
    >
    > How do you backup your files? Other than just copying everything onto a
    > CD? I'm looking to backup several gigabytes worth of data in case my hard
    > drive crashes. Using XP Home.
    >
    > Can these new USB drives be used for backups?
    >
    > Robert

    Hello, Have you considered installing a second harddrive? Or an external
    "firewire or usb2" drive. Another option a DVD burner.
    Alone or in combination all the above listed methods work well for my backup
    needs.
    Take Care.
    beamish.

    "Robert" wrote:

    > Hello XPers
    >
    > How do you backup your files? Other than just copying everything onto a CD?
    > I'm looking to backup several gigabytes worth of data in case my hard drive
    > crashes. Using XP Home.
    >
    > Can these new USB drives be used for backups?
    >
    > Robert

    XP Home has the same backup program Pro does. It is just not installed
    during setup. It is on the Home cd.

    In news:36610BDD-01C5-4493-AA65-2F16C7CF20E9@microsoft.com,
    Byte <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > XP Home edition does not have a backup feature. XP Pro does.

    No, that's not correct. They both do, but unlike with XP
    Professional, it's not automatically installed on XP Home. If you
    have the complete XP Home CD, find backup on the CD, in
    \ValueAdd\MSFT\NTBACKUP and install it yourself by doubleclicking
    the file ntbackup.msi.
    If you don't have an XP CD, you can download ntbackup.msi at

    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/software/ntbackup.msi

    Also see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302894

    It's far from the best backup program in the world, and I too
    would prefer a third-party choice, but it does exist.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Robert wrote:

    >Hello XPers
    >
    >How do you backup your files? Other than just copying everything onto a CD?
    >I'm looking to backup several gigabytes worth of data in case my hard drive
    >crashes. Using XP Home.
    >
    >Can these new USB drives be used for backups?
    >
    >Robert

    =============

    A lot of people get second hard drives and are happy with them for
    backup. Personally I prefer a DVD drive because:

    1) I can set my machine up to make regular automatic backups, and
    periodically (daily, weekly, or whatever) replace the DVD with a new
    one. This gives me several generations of backup that I can use in
    rotation. If I do something dumb to my data and don't realize it for a
    week or two I still have a good backup stored somewhere. With a single
    hard drive backup you're screwed in that case, once you back up damaged
    data over top of your only good backup copy.

    2) What is going to destroy your existing primary data drive that you're
    trying to protect? Well, how about a failed power supply zapping the
    electronics maybe? Lightning storm? Software bug? Virus attack?
    These things will also potentially all screw up your second hard drive.
    With a backup DVD sitting in the closet I'm secure. If necessary I can
    buy a new computer and plug in my data from my DVD and be back in business.

    3) What else can destroy your data? Maybe your house burns down. Or a
    burglar steals your computer. If you have critical data only in your
    computer then once again you're screwed. With DVDs you can store a
    backup in another location away from your house and still have your
    records intact.

    I realize this all sounds paranoid, but then why do we back up data in
    the first place? A DVD by the way stores about 5GB of data which is
    actually a lot. You don't need to back up the executable code for Word
    for example since you still have your installation disks -- you only
    need to back up your Word data files.

    My personal choice for software to do the backups unattended in the
    middle of the night is SmartSynch. There are a lot of other choices out
    there too though.

    Good luck...

    Bill

    Acronis TrueImage is an excellent choice.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Robert" <projecttoday@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hello XPers
    >
    > How do you backup your files? Other than just copying everything onto a
    CD?
    > I'm looking to backup several gigabytes worth of data in case my hard
    drive
    > crashes. Using XP Home.
    >
    > Can these new USB drives be used for backups?
    >
    > Robert

    The NTBackup program that ships with Home is not able to do ASR.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    > XP Home has the same backup program Pro does. It is just not installed
    > during setup. It is on the Home cd.

    > "Byte" <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > XP Home edition does not have a backup feature. XP Pro does. You can
    > > buy a third party app like Symantac's Ghost drive. Backing up personal
    > > files
    > > such as documents, photos, etc. to a CD or an external USB drive is also
    > > good.
    > > XP Home does have a Restore feature but that is only for system files.
    > >
    > > "Robert" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hello XPers
    > >>
    > >> How do you backup your files? Other than just copying everything onto
    > >> CD?
    > >> I'm looking to backup several gigabytes worth of data in case my hard
    > >> drive
    > >> crashes. Using XP Home.
    > >>
    > >> Can these new USB drives be used for backups?
    > >>
    > >> Robert

    Thanks.
    "Byte" <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > XP Home edition does not have a backup feature. XP Pro does. You can
    > buy a third party app like Symantac's Ghost drive. Backing up personal
    > files
    > such as documents, photos, etc. to a CD or an external USB drive is also
    > good.
    > XP Home does have a Restore feature but that is only for system files.
    >
    > "Robert" wrote:
    >
    >> Hello XPers
    >>
    >> How do you backup your files? Other than just copying everything onto a
    >> CD?
    >> I'm looking to backup several gigabytes worth of data in case my hard
    >> drive
    >> crashes. Using XP Home.
    >>
    >> Can these new USB drives be used for backups?
    >>
    >> Robert

    Thanks.

    > XP Home has the same backup program Pro does. It is just not installed
    > during setup. It is on the Home cd.

    > "Byte" <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> XP Home edition does not have a backup feature. XP Pro does. You can
    >> buy a third party app like Symantac's Ghost drive. Backing up personal
    >> files
    >> such as documents, photos, etc. to a CD or an external USB drive is also
    >> good.
    >> XP Home does have a Restore feature but that is only for system files.
    >>
    >> "Robert" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello XPers
    >>>
    >>> How do you backup your files? Other than just copying everything onto a
    >>> CD?
    >>> I'm looking to backup several gigabytes worth of data in case my hard
    >>> drive
    >>> crashes. Using XP Home.
    >>>
    >>> Can these new USB drives be used for backups?
    >>>
    >>> Robert

    Thanks.

    > USB2 drives are excellent for backups. The XP backup utility is not
    > installed during setup but you can install it from the cd or from this
    > source:
    > backup.exe http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#backup_home

    > "Robert" <projecttoday@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Hello XPers
    >>
    >> How do you backup your files? Other than just copying everything onto a
    >> CD? I'm looking to backup several gigabytes worth of data in case my hard
    >> drive crashes. Using XP Home.
    >>
    >> Can these new USB drives be used for backups?
    >>
    >> Robert

    Thanks.
    "beamish" <beamish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello, Have you considered installing a second harddrive? Or an external
    > "firewire or usb2" drive. Another option a DVD burner.
    > Alone or in combination all the above listed methods work well for my
    > backup
    > needs.
    > Take Care.
    > beamish.
    >
    > "Robert" wrote:
    >
    >> Hello XPers
    >>
    >> How do you backup your files? Other than just copying everything onto a
    >> CD?
    >> I'm looking to backup several gigabytes worth of data in case my hard
    >> drive
    >> crashes. Using XP Home.
    >>
    >> Can these new USB drives be used for backups?
    >>
    >> Robert

    I agree that keeping your backup separate from the computer is a good idea.
    I don't need automatic daily backups though. I'll probably get whatever is
    cheaper - DVD or USB. (USB2 ?)

    Thanks.

    "Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address)" <wylie@earthNOSPAMlink.net>
    wrote in message news:%23BU%2311nMFHA.272@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > Robert wrote:
    >
    >>Hello XPers
    >>
    >>How do you backup your files? Other than just copying everything onto a
    >>CD? I'm looking to backup several gigabytes worth of data in case my hard
    >>drive crashes. Using XP Home.
    >>
    >>Can these new USB drives be used for backups?
    >>
    >>Robert
    > =============
    >
    > A lot of people get second hard drives and are happy with them for backup.
    > Personally I prefer a DVD drive because:
    >
    > 1) I can set my machine up to make regular automatic backups, and
    > periodically (daily, weekly, or whatever) replace the DVD with a new one.
    > This gives me several generations of backup that I can use in rotation.
    > If I do something dumb to my data and don't realize it for a week or two I
    > still have a good backup stored somewhere. With a single hard drive
    > backup you're screwed in that case, once you back up damaged data over top
    > of your only good backup copy.
    >
    > 2) What is going to destroy your existing primary data drive that you're
    > trying to protect? Well, how about a failed power supply zapping the
    > electronics maybe? Lightning storm? Software bug? Virus attack? These
    > things will also potentially all screw up your second hard drive. With a
    > backup DVD sitting in the closet I'm secure. If necessary I can buy a new
    > computer and plug in my data from my DVD and be back in business.
    >
    > 3) What else can destroy your data? Maybe your house burns down. Or a
    > burglar steals your computer. If you have critical data only in your
    > computer then once again you're screwed. With DVDs you can store a backup
    > in another location away from your house and still have your records
    > intact.
    >
    > I realize this all sounds paranoid, but then why do we back up data in the
    > first place? A DVD by the way stores about 5GB of data which is actually
    > a lot. You don't need to back up the executable code for Word for example
    > since you still have your installation disks -- you only need to back up
    > your Word data files.
    >
    > My personal choice for software to do the backups unattended in the middle
    > of the night is SmartSynch. There are a lot of other choices out there
    > too though.
    >
    > Good luck...
    >
    > Bill

    No, it is not. I'm not sure what the connection is to the OP.

    > The NTBackup program that ships with Home is not able to do ASR.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    >> XP Home has the same backup program Pro does. It is just not installed
    >> during setup. It is on the Home cd.
    >>
    >> --
    >> "Byte" <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > XP Home edition does not have a backup feature. XP Pro does. You can
    >> > buy a third party app like Symantac's Ghost drive. Backing up personal
    >> > files
    >> > such as documents, photos, etc. to a CD or an external USB drive is
    >> > also
    >> > good.
    >> > XP Home does have a Restore feature but that is only for system files.

    A hard drive is able to store a complete backup in a single file and can be
    left online for weekly incremental backups while in use for other storage as
    well. The device itself is easily portable. DVD's are also OK but
    sometimes a bit more cumbersome.

    >I agree that keeping your backup separate from the computer is a good idea.
    >I don't need automatic daily backups though. I'll probably get whatever is
    >cheaper - DVD or USB. (USB2 ?)
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > "Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address)" <wylie@earthNOSPAMlink.net>
    > wrote in message news:%23BU%2311nMFHA.272@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    >> Robert wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hello XPers
    >>>
    >>>How do you backup your files? Other than just copying everything onto a
    >>>CD? I'm looking to backup several gigabytes worth of data in case my hard
    >>>drive crashes. Using XP Home.
    >>>
    >>>Can these new USB drives be used for backups?
    >>>
    >>>Robert
    >> =============
    >>
    >> A lot of people get second hard drives and are happy with them for
    >> backup. Personally I prefer a DVD drive because:
    >>
    >> 1) I can set my machine up to make regular automatic backups, and
    >> periodically (daily, weekly, or whatever) replace the DVD with a new one.
    >> This gives me several generations of backup that I can use in rotation.
    >> If I do something dumb to my data and don't realize it for a week or two
    >> I still have a good backup stored somewhere. With a single hard drive
    >> backup you're screwed in that case, once you back up damaged data over
    >> top of your only good backup copy.
    >>
    >> 2) What is going to destroy your existing primary data drive that you're
    >> trying to protect? Well, how about a failed power supply zapping the
    >> electronics maybe? Lightning storm? Software bug? Virus attack? These
    >> things will also potentially all screw up your second hard drive. With a
    >> backup DVD sitting in the closet I'm secure. If necessary I can buy a
    >> new computer and plug in my data from my DVD and be back in business.
    >>
    >> 3) What else can destroy your data? Maybe your house burns down. Or a
    >> burglar steals your computer. If you have critical data only in your
    >> computer then once again you're screwed. With DVDs you can store a
    >> backup in another location away from your house and still have your
    >> records intact.
    >>
    >> I realize this all sounds paranoid, but then why do we back up data in
    >> the first place? A DVD by the way stores about 5GB of data which is
    >> actually a lot. You don't need to back up the executable code for Word
    >> for example since you still have your installation disks -- you only need
    >> to back up your Word data files.
    >>
    >> My personal choice for software to do the backups unattended in the
    >> middle of the night is SmartSynch. There are a lot of other choices out
    >> there too though.
    >>
    >> Good luck...
    >>
    >> Bill

    Buy a 2nd hard drive if you have the room, they're dirt cheap and a great
    place to put backups of your files
    ..
    "Robert" <projecttoday@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    Hello XPers

    How do you backup your files? Other than just copying everything onto a CD?
    I'm looking to backup several gigabytes worth of data in case my hard drive
    crashes. Using XP Home.

    Can these new USB drives be used for backups?

    Robert
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Thanks.
    "JustMe" <Inkspots@spam.com> wrote in message
    > Buy a 2nd hard drive if you have the room, they're dirt cheap and a great
    > place to put backups of your files
    > .
    > "Robert" <projecttoday@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hello XPers
    >
    > How do you backup your files? Other than just copying everything onto a
    > CD?
    > I'm looking to backup several gigabytes worth of data in case my hard
    > drive
    > crashes. Using XP Home.
    >
    > Can these new USB drives be used for backups?
    >
    > Robert

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    In news:yxn1e.4631$Pc.2915@tornado.tampabay.rr.com,
    JustMe <Inkspots@spam.com> typed:

    > Buy a 2nd hard drive if you have the room, they're dirt cheap
    > and a
    > great place to put backups of your files

    I don't agree.

    I don't recommend backup to a second non-removable hard drive
    because it leaves you susceptible to simultaneous loss of the
    original and backup to many of the most common dangers: severe
    power glitches, nearby lightning strikes, virus attacks, even
    theft of the computer. On the other hand, backup to a second
    *removable* hard drive is fine.

    In my view, secure backup needs to be on removable media, and not
    kept in the computer. For really secure backup (needed, for
    example, if the life of your business depends on your data) you
    should have multiple generations of backup, and at least one of
    those generations should be stored off-site.

    My computer isn't used for business, but my personal backup
    scheme uses two identical removable hard drives, which fit into a
    sleeve installed in the computer. I alternate between the two,
    and use Drive Image to make a complete copy of the primary drive.

    Please reply to the newsgroup
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Colin Barnhorst wrote:

    >A hard drive is able to store a complete backup in a single file and can be
    >left online for weekly incremental backups while in use for other storage as
    >well. The device itself is easily portable. DVD's are also OK but
    >sometimes a bit more cumbersome.

    -------------

    The one thing that came as a surprise to me with DVD+RW was how slow it
    is. Sometimes it doesn't seem any faster than the tape drives I used to
    use long ago. But since I set it up to run at night anyhow it doesn't
    really matter to me. As mentioned earlier, I find the ability to make
    multiple copies, stored away from the computer, to be a bigger benefit
    than the slow speed is a detraction. Different strokes....

    Bill
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    I agree. Backups should be to devices and media that can be stored away
    from the computer if need be.

    > In news:yxn1e.4631$Pc.2915@tornado.tampabay.rr.com,
    > JustMe <Inkspots@spam.com> typed:
    >
    >> Buy a 2nd hard drive if you have the room, they're dirt cheap and a
    >> great place to put backups of your files
    >

    > I don't agree.
    >
    > I don't recommend backup to a second non-removable hard drive because it
    > leaves you susceptible to simultaneous loss of the original and backup to
    > many of the most common dangers: severe power glitches, nearby lightning
    > strikes, virus attacks, even theft of the computer. On the other hand,
    > backup to a second *removable* hard drive is fine.
    >
    > In my view, secure backup needs to be on removable media, and not kept in
    > the computer. For really secure backup (needed, for example, if the life
    > of your business depends on your data) you should have multiple
    > generations of backup, and at least one of those generations should be
    > stored off-site.
    >
    > My computer isn't used for business, but my personal backup scheme uses
    > two identical removable hard drives, which fit into a sleeve installed in
    > the computer. I alternate between the two, and use Drive Image to make a
    > complete copy of the primary drive.

    > Please reply to the newsgroup

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Colin my post was not directed at the OP. It was directed at you. You stated
    that Home has the same backup program that Pro does. The Backup program that
    ships with Home doesn't do an ASR. That makes it significantly more limited
    in it's function than the one that ships with Pro. In any event both
    versions of the program are on the edge of being useless. Neither will burn
    to CD without packet writing software nor will they span disks or even split
    files. I'd suggest a decent third party alternative and forget frustrating
    people with the false hope that NTBackup will even marginally meet their
    needs.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    > No, it is not. I'm not sure what the connection is to the OP.

    > "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
    > > The NTBackup program that ships with Home is not able to do ASR.
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    > > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    > >

    > > "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
    > >> XP Home has the same backup program Pro does. It is just not installed
    > >> during setup. It is on the Home cd.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
    > >> (Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
    > >> "Byte" <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    But Harry, ASR was never an issue in this thread. Why bring it up?
    Backup.exe will use any hard drives attached. I don't understand why you
    are talking about ASR in a thread about Backup.exe on XP Home. Of course I
    know ASR is a feature only of Pro.

    > Colin my post was not directed at the OP. It was directed at you. You
    > stated
    > that Home has the same backup program that Pro does. The Backup program
    > that
    > ships with Home doesn't do an ASR. That makes it significantly more
    > limited
    > in it's function than the one that ships with Pro. In any event both
    > versions of the program are on the edge of being useless. Neither will
    > burn
    > to CD without packet writing software nor will they span disks or even
    > split
    > files. I'd suggest a decent third party alternative and forget frustrating
    > people with the false hope that NTBackup will even marginally meet their
    > needs.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    >> No, it is not. I'm not sure what the connection is to the OP.
    >>
    >> --
    >> "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
    >> > The NTBackup program that ships with Home is not able to do ASR.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> >
    >> > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    >> > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    >> >

    >> > "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message

    > can
    > personal
    > files.

    > onto
    > hard

  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Colin you informed the OP that the backup program that ships with Home is
    the same as the one that ships with Pro. You were incorrect. They are not
    the same that is why I brought it up. To tell someone that 2 different
    versions of a backup program are the same when you know that they are not
    the same is unhelpful.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp