Backup 101

March 26, 2005 4:10:52 PM

Hello XPers

How do you backup your files? Other than just copying everything onto a CD?
I'm looking to backup several gigabytes worth of data in case my hard drive
crashes. Using XP Home.

Can these new USB drives be used for backups?

Robert

More about : backup 101

March 26, 2005 4:10:53 PM

XP Home edition does not have a backup feature. XP Pro does. You can
buy a third party app like Symantac's Ghost drive. Backing up personal files
such as documents, photos, etc. to a CD or an external USB drive is also
good.
XP Home does have a Restore feature but that is only for system files.

"Robert" wrote:

> Hello XPers
>
> How do you backup your files? Other than just copying everything onto a CD?
> I'm looking to backup several gigabytes worth of data in case my hard drive
> crashes. Using XP Home.
>
> Can these new USB drives be used for backups?
>
> Robert

Anonymous
March 26, 2005 4:10:53 PM

USB2 drives are excellent for backups. The XP backup utility is not
installed during setup but you can install it from the cd or from this
source:
backup.exe http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#backup...

"Robert" <projecttoday@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello XPers
>
> How do you backup your files? Other than just copying everything onto a
> CD? I'm looking to backup several gigabytes worth of data in case my hard
> drive crashes. Using XP Home.
>
> Can these new USB drives be used for backups?
>
> Robert

March 26, 2005 4:10:53 PM

Hello, Have you considered installing a second harddrive? Or an external
"firewire or usb2" drive. Another option a DVD burner.
Alone or in combination all the above listed methods work well for my backup
needs.
Take Care.
beamish.

"Robert" wrote:

> Hello XPers
>
> How do you backup your files? Other than just copying everything onto a CD?
> I'm looking to backup several gigabytes worth of data in case my hard drive
> crashes. Using XP Home.
>
> Can these new USB drives be used for backups?
>
> Robert

Anonymous
March 26, 2005 4:10:54 PM

XP Home has the same backup program Pro does. It is just not installed
during setup. It is on the Home cd.

"Byte" <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> XP Home edition does not have a backup feature. XP Pro does. You can
> buy a third party app like Symantac's Ghost drive. Backing up personal
> files
> such as documents, photos, etc. to a CD or an external USB drive is also
> good.
> XP Home does have a Restore feature but that is only for system files.
>
> "Robert" wrote:
>
>> Hello XPers
>>
>> How do you backup your files? Other than just copying everything onto a
>> CD?
>> I'm looking to backup several gigabytes worth of data in case my hard
>> drive
>> crashes. Using XP Home.
>>
>> Can these new USB drives be used for backups?
>>
>> Robert

Anonymous
March 26, 2005 4:10:54 PM

In news:36610BDD-01C5-4493-AA65-2F16C7CF20E9@microsoft.com,
Byte <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> XP Home edition does not have a backup feature. XP Pro does.

No, that's not correct. They both do, but unlike with XP
Professional, it's not automatically installed on XP Home. If you
have the complete XP Home CD, find backup on the CD, in
\ValueAdd\MSFT\NTBACKUP and install it yourself by doubleclicking
the file ntbackup.msi.
If you don't have an XP CD, you can download ntbackup.msi at

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/software/ntbackup.msi

Also see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302894

It's far from the best backup program in the world, and I too
would prefer a third-party choice, but it does exist.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 2:31:17 AM

Robert wrote:

>Hello XPers
>
>How do you backup your files? Other than just copying everything onto a CD?
>I'm looking to backup several gigabytes worth of data in case my hard drive
>crashes. Using XP Home.
>
>Can these new USB drives be used for backups?
>
>Robert

=============

A lot of people get second hard drives and are happy with them for
backup. Personally I prefer a DVD drive because:

1) I can set my machine up to make regular automatic backups, and
periodically (daily, weekly, or whatever) replace the DVD with a new
one. This gives me several generations of backup that I can use in
rotation. If I do something dumb to my data and don't realize it for a
week or two I still have a good backup stored somewhere. With a single
hard drive backup you're screwed in that case, once you back up damaged
data over top of your only good backup copy.

2) What is going to destroy your existing primary data drive that you're
trying to protect? Well, how about a failed power supply zapping the
electronics maybe? Lightning storm? Software bug? Virus attack?
These things will also potentially all screw up your second hard drive.
With a backup DVD sitting in the closet I'm secure. If necessary I can
buy a new computer and plug in my data from my DVD and be back in business.

3) What else can destroy your data? Maybe your house burns down. Or a
burglar steals your computer. If you have critical data only in your
computer then once again you're screwed. With DVDs you can store a
backup in another location away from your house and still have your
records intact.

I realize this all sounds paranoid, but then why do we back up data in
the first place? A DVD by the way stores about 5GB of data which is
actually a lot. You don't need to back up the executable code for Word
for example since you still have your installation disks -- you only
need to back up your Word data files.

My personal choice for software to do the backups unattended in the
middle of the night is SmartSynch. There are a lot of other choices out
there too though.

Good luck...

Bill
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 2:50:55 AM

Acronis TrueImage is an excellent choice.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Robert" <projecttoday@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello XPers
>
> How do you backup your files? Other than just copying everything onto a
CD?
> I'm looking to backup several gigabytes worth of data in case my hard
drive
> crashes. Using XP Home.
>
> Can these new USB drives be used for backups?
>
> Robert

Anonymous
March 27, 2005 2:53:04 AM

The NTBackup program that ships with Home is not able to do ASR.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

> XP Home has the same backup program Pro does. It is just not installed
> during setup. It is on the Home cd.

> "Byte" <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > XP Home edition does not have a backup feature. XP Pro does. You can
> > buy a third party app like Symantac's Ghost drive. Backing up personal
> > files
> > such as documents, photos, etc. to a CD or an external USB drive is also
> > good.
> > XP Home does have a Restore feature but that is only for system files.
> >
> > "Robert" wrote:
> >
> >> Hello XPers
> >>
> >> How do you backup your files? Other than just copying everything onto
> >> CD?
> >> I'm looking to backup several gigabytes worth of data in case my hard
> >> drive
> >> crashes. Using XP Home.
> >>
> >> Can these new USB drives be used for backups?
> >>
> >> Robert

March 27, 2005 3:39:32 AM

Thanks.
"Byte" <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> XP Home edition does not have a backup feature. XP Pro does. You can
> buy a third party app like Symantac's Ghost drive. Backing up personal
> files
> such as documents, photos, etc. to a CD or an external USB drive is also
> good.
> XP Home does have a Restore feature but that is only for system files.
>
> "Robert" wrote:
>
>> Hello XPers
>>
>> How do you backup your files? Other than just copying everything onto a
>> CD?
>> I'm looking to backup several gigabytes worth of data in case my hard
>> drive
>> crashes. Using XP Home.
>>
>> Can these new USB drives be used for backups?
>>
>> Robert

March 27, 2005 3:39:53 AM

Thanks.

> XP Home has the same backup program Pro does. It is just not installed
> during setup. It is on the Home cd.

> "Byte" <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> XP Home edition does not have a backup feature. XP Pro does. You can
>> buy a third party app like Symantac's Ghost drive. Backing up personal
>> files
>> such as documents, photos, etc. to a CD or an external USB drive is also
>> good.
>> XP Home does have a Restore feature but that is only for system files.
>>
>> "Robert" wrote:
>>
>>> Hello XPers
>>>
>>> How do you backup your files? Other than just copying everything onto a
>>> CD?
>>> I'm looking to backup several gigabytes worth of data in case my hard
>>> drive
>>> crashes. Using XP Home.
>>>
>>> Can these new USB drives be used for backups?
>>>
>>> Robert

March 27, 2005 3:40:07 AM

Thanks.
> In news:36610BDD-01C5-4493-AA65-2F16C7CF20E9@microsoft.com,
> Byte <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>
>> XP Home edition does not have a backup feature. XP Pro does.
>

> No, that's not correct. They both do, but unlike with XP Professional,
> it's not automatically installed on XP Home. If you have the complete XP
> Home CD, find backup on the CD, in \ValueAdd\MSFT\NTBACKUP and install it
> yourself by doubleclicking the file ntbackup.msi.
> If you don't have an XP CD, you can download ntbackup.msi at
>
> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/software/ntbackup.msi
>
> Also see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302894
>
> It's far from the best backup program in the world, and I too would prefer
> a third-party choice, but it does exist.

> Please reply to the newsgroup

March 27, 2005 3:40:59 AM

Thanks.
> USB2 drives are excellent for backups. The XP backup utility is not
> installed during setup but you can install it from the cd or from this
> source:
> backup.exe http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#backup...

> "Robert" <projecttoday@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hello XPers
>>
>> How do you backup your files? Other than just copying everything onto a
>> CD? I'm looking to backup several gigabytes worth of data in case my hard
>> drive crashes. Using XP Home.
>>
>> Can these new USB drives be used for backups?
>>
>> Robert

March 27, 2005 3:41:31 AM

Thanks.
"beamish" <beamish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello, Have you considered installing a second harddrive? Or an external
> "firewire or usb2" drive. Another option a DVD burner.
> Alone or in combination all the above listed methods work well for my
> backup
> needs.
> Take Care.
> beamish.
>
> "Robert" wrote:
>
>> Hello XPers
>>
>> How do you backup your files? Other than just copying everything onto a
>> CD?
>> I'm looking to backup several gigabytes worth of data in case my hard
>> drive
>> crashes. Using XP Home.
>>
>> Can these new USB drives be used for backups?
>>
>> Robert

March 27, 2005 3:45:16 AM

I agree that keeping your backup separate from the computer is a good idea.
I don't need automatic daily backups though. I'll probably get whatever is
cheaper - DVD or USB. (USB2 ?)

Thanks.

"Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address)" <wylie@earthNOSPAMlink.net>
wrote in message news:%23BU%2311nMFHA.272@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Robert wrote:
>
>>Hello XPers
>>
>>How do you backup your files? Other than just copying everything onto a
>>CD? I'm looking to backup several gigabytes worth of data in case my hard
>>drive crashes. Using XP Home.
>>
>>Can these new USB drives be used for backups?
>>
>>Robert
> =============
>
> A lot of people get second hard drives and are happy with them for backup.
> Personally I prefer a DVD drive because:
>
> 1) I can set my machine up to make regular automatic backups, and
> periodically (daily, weekly, or whatever) replace the DVD with a new one.
> This gives me several generations of backup that I can use in rotation.
> If I do something dumb to my data and don't realize it for a week or two I
> still have a good backup stored somewhere. With a single hard drive
> backup you're screwed in that case, once you back up damaged data over top
> of your only good backup copy.
>
> 2) What is going to destroy your existing primary data drive that you're
> trying to protect? Well, how about a failed power supply zapping the
> electronics maybe? Lightning storm? Software bug? Virus attack? These
> things will also potentially all screw up your second hard drive. With a
> backup DVD sitting in the closet I'm secure. If necessary I can buy a new
> computer and plug in my data from my DVD and be back in business.
>
> 3) What else can destroy your data? Maybe your house burns down. Or a
> burglar steals your computer. If you have critical data only in your
> computer then once again you're screwed. With DVDs you can store a backup
> in another location away from your house and still have your records
> intact.
>
> I realize this all sounds paranoid, but then why do we back up data in the
> first place? A DVD by the way stores about 5GB of data which is actually
> a lot. You don't need to back up the executable code for Word for example
> since you still have your installation disks -- you only need to back up
> your Word data files.
>
> My personal choice for software to do the backups unattended in the middle
> of the night is SmartSynch. There are a lot of other choices out there
> too though.
>
> Good luck...
>
> Bill
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 3:57:32 AM

No, it is not. I'm not sure what the connection is to the OP.

news:o lglnJpMFHA.272@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> The NTBackup program that ships with Home is not able to do ASR.
>
> --
>
> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

>> XP Home has the same backup program Pro does. It is just not installed
>> during setup. It is on the Home cd.
>>
>> --
>> "Byte" <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > XP Home edition does not have a backup feature. XP Pro does. You can
>> > buy a third party app like Symantac's Ghost drive. Backing up personal
>> > files
>> > such as documents, photos, etc. to a CD or an external USB drive is
>> > also
>> > good.
>> > XP Home does have a Restore feature but that is only for system files.

Anonymous
March 27, 2005 4:00:12 AM

A hard drive is able to store a complete backup in a single file and can be
left online for weekly incremental backups while in use for other storage as
well. The device itself is easily portable. DVD's are also OK but
sometimes a bit more cumbersome.

>I agree that keeping your backup separate from the computer is a good idea.
>I don't need automatic daily backups though. I'll probably get whatever is
>cheaper - DVD or USB. (USB2 ?)
>
> Thanks.
>
> "Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address)" <wylie@earthNOSPAMlink.net>
> wrote in message news:%23BU%2311nMFHA.272@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> Robert wrote:
>>
>>>Hello XPers
>>>
>>>How do you backup your files? Other than just copying everything onto a
>>>CD? I'm looking to backup several gigabytes worth of data in case my hard
>>>drive crashes. Using XP Home.
>>>
>>>Can these new USB drives be used for backups?
>>>
>>>Robert
>> =============
>>
>> A lot of people get second hard drives and are happy with them for
>> backup. Personally I prefer a DVD drive because:
>>
>> 1) I can set my machine up to make regular automatic backups, and
>> periodically (daily, weekly, or whatever) replace the DVD with a new one.
>> This gives me several generations of backup that I can use in rotation.
>> If I do something dumb to my data and don't realize it for a week or two
>> I still have a good backup stored somewhere. With a single hard drive
>> backup you're screwed in that case, once you back up damaged data over
>> top of your only good backup copy.
>>
>> 2) What is going to destroy your existing primary data drive that you're
>> trying to protect? Well, how about a failed power supply zapping the
>> electronics maybe? Lightning storm? Software bug? Virus attack? These
>> things will also potentially all screw up your second hard drive. With a
>> backup DVD sitting in the closet I'm secure. If necessary I can buy a
>> new computer and plug in my data from my DVD and be back in business.
>>
>> 3) What else can destroy your data? Maybe your house burns down. Or a
>> burglar steals your computer. If you have critical data only in your
>> computer then once again you're screwed. With DVDs you can store a
>> backup in another location away from your house and still have your
>> records intact.
>>
>> I realize this all sounds paranoid, but then why do we back up data in
>> the first place? A DVD by the way stores about 5GB of data which is
>> actually a lot. You don't need to back up the executable code for Word
>> for example since you still have your installation disks -- you only need
>> to back up your Word data files.
>>
>> My personal choice for software to do the backups unattended in the
>> middle of the night is SmartSynch. There are a lot of other choices out
>> there too though.
>>
>> Good luck...
>>
>> Bill

March 27, 2005 4:57:02 AM

Buy a 2nd hard drive if you have the room, they're dirt cheap and a great
place to put backups of your files
..
"Robert" <projecttoday@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Hello XPers

How do you backup your files? Other than just copying everything onto a CD?
I'm looking to backup several gigabytes worth of data in case my hard drive
crashes. Using XP Home.

Can these new USB drives be used for backups?

Robert
March 27, 2005 4:57:03 AM

Thanks.
"JustMe" <Inkspots@spam.com> wrote in message
> Buy a 2nd hard drive if you have the room, they're dirt cheap and a great
> place to put backups of your files
> .
> "Robert" <projecttoday@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello XPers
>
> How do you backup your files? Other than just copying everything onto a
> CD?
> I'm looking to backup several gigabytes worth of data in case my hard
> drive
> crashes. Using XP Home.
>
> Can these new USB drives be used for backups?
>
> Robert

Anonymous
March 27, 2005 2:46:12 PM

In news:yxn1e.4631$Pc.2915@tornado.tampabay.rr.com,
JustMe <Inkspots@spam.com> typed:

> Buy a 2nd hard drive if you have the room, they're dirt cheap
> and a
> great place to put backups of your files

I don't agree.

I don't recommend backup to a second non-removable hard drive
because it leaves you susceptible to simultaneous loss of the
original and backup to many of the most common dangers: severe
power glitches, nearby lightning strikes, virus attacks, even
theft of the computer. On the other hand, backup to a second
*removable* hard drive is fine.

In my view, secure backup needs to be on removable media, and not
kept in the computer. For really secure backup (needed, for
example, if the life of your business depends on your data) you
should have multiple generations of backup, and at least one of
those generations should be stored off-site.

My computer isn't used for business, but my personal backup
scheme uses two identical removable hard drives, which fit into a
sleeve installed in the computer. I alternate between the two,
and use Drive Image to make a complete copy of the primary drive.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 3:05:25 PM

Colin Barnhorst wrote:

>A hard drive is able to store a complete backup in a single file and can be
>left online for weekly incremental backups while in use for other storage as
>well. The device itself is easily portable. DVD's are also OK but
>sometimes a bit more cumbersome.

-------------

The one thing that came as a surprise to me with DVD+RW was how slow it
is. Sometimes it doesn't seem any faster than the tape drives I used to
use long ago. But since I set it up to run at night anyhow it doesn't
really matter to me. As mentioned earlier, I find the ability to make
multiple copies, stored away from the computer, to be a bigger benefit
than the slow speed is a detraction. Different strokes....

Bill
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 4:47:03 PM

I agree. Backups should be to devices and media that can be stored away
from the computer if need be.

> In news:yxn1e.4631$Pc.2915@tornado.tampabay.rr.com,
> JustMe <Inkspots@spam.com> typed:
>
>> Buy a 2nd hard drive if you have the room, they're dirt cheap and a
>> great place to put backups of your files
>

> I don't agree.
>
> I don't recommend backup to a second non-removable hard drive because it
> leaves you susceptible to simultaneous loss of the original and backup to
> many of the most common dangers: severe power glitches, nearby lightning
> strikes, virus attacks, even theft of the computer. On the other hand,
> backup to a second *removable* hard drive is fine.
>
> In my view, secure backup needs to be on removable media, and not kept in
> the computer. For really secure backup (needed, for example, if the life
> of your business depends on your data) you should have multiple
> generations of backup, and at least one of those generations should be
> stored off-site.
>
> My computer isn't used for business, but my personal backup scheme uses
> two identical removable hard drives, which fit into a sleeve installed in
> the computer. I alternate between the two, and use Drive Image to make a
> complete copy of the primary drive.

> Please reply to the newsgroup

Anonymous
March 27, 2005 5:05:56 PM

Colin my post was not directed at the OP. It was directed at you. You stated
that Home has the same backup program that Pro does. The Backup program that
ships with Home doesn't do an ASR. That makes it significantly more limited
in it's function than the one that ships with Pro. In any event both
versions of the program are on the edge of being useless. Neither will burn
to CD without packet writing software nor will they span disks or even split
files. I'd suggest a decent third party alternative and forget frustrating
people with the false hope that NTBackup will even marginally meet their
needs.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

> No, it is not. I'm not sure what the connection is to the OP.

> "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
> news:o lglnJpMFHA.272@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > The NTBackup program that ships with Home is not able to do ASR.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
> >

> > "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
> >> XP Home has the same backup program Pro does. It is just not installed
> >> during setup. It is on the Home cd.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
> >> (Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
> >> "Byte" <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
March 27, 2005 5:05:57 PM

But Harry, ASR was never an issue in this thread. Why bring it up?
Backup.exe will use any hard drives attached. I don't understand why you
are talking about ASR in a thread about Backup.exe on XP Home. Of course I
know ASR is a feature only of Pro.

news:o cp6LAwMFHA.3420@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Colin my post was not directed at the OP. It was directed at you. You
> stated
> that Home has the same backup program that Pro does. The Backup program
> that
> ships with Home doesn't do an ASR. That makes it significantly more
> limited
> in it's function than the one that ships with Pro. In any event both
> versions of the program are on the edge of being useless. Neither will
> burn
> to CD without packet writing software nor will they span disks or even
> split
> files. I'd suggest a decent third party alternative and forget frustrating
> people with the false hope that NTBackup will even marginally meet their
> needs.
>
> --
>
> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

>> No, it is not. I'm not sure what the connection is to the OP.
>>
>> --
>> "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
>> news:o lglnJpMFHA.272@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> > The NTBackup program that ships with Home is not able to do ASR.
>> >
>> > --
>> >
>> > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
>> > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>> >

>> > "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message

> can
> personal
> files.

> onto
> hard

Anonymous
March 27, 2005 9:59:51 PM

Colin you informed the OP that the backup program that ships with Home is
the same as the one that ships with Pro. You were incorrect. They are not
the same that is why I brought it up. To tell someone that 2 different
versions of a backup program are the same when you know that they are not
the same is unhelpful.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp