Need help deciding on new comp

ironet

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
I need some help making my new computer, it will be for gaming and i need to build an all new computer, and the games i will be playing the most is Everquest2 and various FPS games
I have right now about $900 dollers and i live in Canada (What is a good Canadian site to order parts from?)

so i would like to know what graphics card, cpu,motherboard,ram to get and i
am clueless on where to begin. Whatever i get will be a good upgrade from my current amd2500, 1 gig and 9600 pro overcloked.

so i really need some suggestions on where to start with my current budget.
i am thinking maybe a 7900 for graphics card unless there is a better alternative i also have no current clue on what cpu to get

really looking for some suggestions and help!

ironet

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
so here is the early build of what i am thinking of getting please let me know if there is problem or better ways to get comparable results because i am on a budget.

motherboard
ASUS P5NSLI ATX LGA775 Conroe Nforce 570 SLI DDR2 2PCI-E16 3PCI-E 2PCI SATA RAID LAN Motherboard

CPU:Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Dual Core Processor LGA775 Conroe 1.86GHZ 1066FSB 2MB

Memory:OCZ Gold XTC PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL5-5-5-12 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit

graphics card:EVGA E-GEFORCE 7900 GS KO 500MHZ 256MB 256BIT 1.38GHZ GDDR3 Dual DVI-I HDTV Out Video Card

PSU:
OCZ GameXStream 600W ATX12V 24PIN SLI Ready Active PFC ATX Power Supply 120MM Fan Black

not sure if these are even workable together yet but this is early build of what i am thinking of getting.

suggestions and comments please?

jeff_2087

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
Pretty good although you should get the Gigabyte 965P DS3 motherboard or something like that instead of that one. That one uses the 570 chipset which kinda fell flat.

What's your power supply and hard drive(s) and optical drive(s) from your old machine? You could possibly use them in this one.

Also, Direct Canada and NCIX are good online stores.

EDIT: omg that's an AM2 board haha, I just saw 5 and assumed it was an nForce 5 for Intel. It wont support Core 2.

motherboard[/b]:ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe ATX AM2 Nforce 570 SLI 2PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 3PCI SATA2 Sound GBLAN 1394 Motherboard
[

I'll start by saying, and I know jeff recommended a good board instead, but your original board is an AM2 board which means it's for AMD not Intel. Do what jeff said and get the MSI board. Oh oops didn't see jeff's edit about the AM2 8O .

Excellent choice of CPU and RAM. Wait until April if you can. Intel is supposed to have price cuts, WOO!!!!

With the graphics, you may want to buy a midrange card like the 7600GT or X1650pro/XT. ATi is coming out with their new cards "soon" which means price drops and the release of NVidia's mid range. You will be able to get a better card that is future proof for the same amount of money.

PSU wise, something around 550 Watts should be plenty for you. FSP and Thermaltake are highly recommended. Try some of these:

FSP 550

Thermaltake 550

OCZ

All of these will power your system with room for expansion and upgrades.

ironet

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
my bad about the motherboard lol, i was going to get a different cpu before but changed it and forget to pick a new motherboard.

I changed the second post in the thread with the current build

Are you ever planning on going SLi? If not then there is no reason to by an nforce board. You could probably find an Intel 965 or 975 board for less or at the very least by a new nforce 6 board. the 5 series were plagued with problems. Otherwise it looks like a good system.