Seeking information on replacing existing servers with new..

I need info on replacing Server Hardware. My goal is to replace Server 2 and
Server 3 in the environment described below. I would prefer to use the same
names and IP addresses on the new hardware, but would consider other options.

Environment Description: (Windows 2000 Native)
Server 1: Win2kSP4 Server – PDC, DNS Server (standard primary), DHCP server,
Print Server, file server
Server 2: Win2kSP4 Server – Domain controller; RAS Server; Exchange Server
(Exchange 2000 SP3) with OWA
Server 3: Win2kSP4 Server – Domain controller, DNS Server (secondary), SQL
Server, file server
Server 4: Win2kSP4 Server – Member server, file server.

Here’s where I am in the project so far:
- I have purchased 2 new servers and have installed Windows 2000 Server and
applied all patches. These servers have not been promoted yet and don’t have
SQL Server or Exchange Server installed.
- Exchange Server - I located MS Article 297289: How to move Exchange
2000 to New Hardware and Keep the Same Server Name will help with migrating
the Exchange server
- SQL Server 2000 – I’ve located some articles and our db admin will help
with the SQL transfer.

Questions:
- Will the fact that the 2 servers are both Domain controllers have any
impact on how I proceed?
- Server 3 as noted above is a Secondary dns server in addition to being a
domain controller. Any issues related to migrating a dns server to new
hardware?
- In addition to the MS Article 297289 on migrating Exchange 2000 to new
hardware, can you think of other articles that may apply to the project?
- I’m not sure how to proceed and of course want to make these changes with
as little disruption to the end – user as possible.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Jon
3 answers Last reply
More about seeking information replacing existing servers

    Hi Jon,

    According to your scenario, I suggest you refer to the following article to
    move win2k to anther server. However, I suggest you back up your system
    first and do a test during a non-business time.

    How to move a Windows 2000 installation to different hardware
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=249694

    Since you have already purchased the new server, please use the steps in KB
    249694 to backup the original server, connect the new machine in another
    subnet and restore the system to the new box to test if it can function
    correctly.

    Alternatively, since you have two new servers, you can use the following
    steps to achieve your goal:

    The original server is Server 1, I called two new servers NewSrv1 and
    NewSrv2. I assume you want to use NewSrv1 to replace Server1

    1. Add NewSrv2 to the current domain and promote it to be an additional DC
    for Server1; install AD-integrated DNS on NewSrv2. During this period, AD
    and DNS information will be automatically replicated to NewSrv2.

    2. Transfer FSMO role from Server1 to NewSrv2.
    3. Backup Server1 to a tape in case you need to restore the system to
    Server1.
    4. Demote Server1 and then take it offline.
    5. Run NewSrv2 for a period of time for test to make sure there is no
    problem.
    6. On machine NewSrv1, change computer name from NewSrv1 to Server1, change
    the IP and then add NewSrv1 to the network.
    7. Promote it to be an additional DC for NewSrv2; install AD-integrated DNS
    on Server1. During this period, AD and DNS information will be
    automatically replicated to Server1.

    8. Transfer FSMO role from NewSrv2 to Server1

    You now use NewSrv1 to replace Server1, AD and DNS information have been
    seamlessly migrated to the new hardware. This method is more secure and
    smooth.

    With regards to the Exchange migration, I suggest you post Exchange related
    question to microsoft.public.exchange.setup since the Exchange Expert will
    provide more accurate information on the Exchange migration. I have talked
    with the Exchange experts, it is better to use the similar steps to add a
    interim server in the network as replacing OS. More details, please post
    the question to Exchange newsgroup.

    HTH!

    Best regards,

    Rebecca Chen

    MCSE2000 MCDBA CCNA

    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    Rebecca,
    Thank you for the reply.
    I am planning to follow your alternate instructions rather than restoring to
    the new server from a backup as described in the MS article you mentioned.
    Please clarify the following: In step 2 you mentioned transferring the FSMO
    role from Server1 to NewSrv2. All 5 of the FSMO roles are held by the PDC and
    I am not planning to upgrade that server at this time. With that in mind, is
    it necessary to transfer the FSMO roles?
    thanks again,
    Jon

    Hi Jon,

    If you don't plan to upgrade Server1 and let it contiues working in the
    network, you can allow Server1 to hold the roles. When you plan to retire
    Server1, please keep in mind to transfer the FSMO roles first.

    Further questions, let us get in touch!

    Best regards,

    Rebecca Chen

    MCSE2000 MCDBA CCNA

    Microsoft Online Partner Support

Hardware Domain Controller Servers Windows