Which MIMO Gaming g/draft-N Router?

MichaelAbbott

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
I'm looking for a router that will work hopefully with low maintainance.
I have had a number of routers and i currently have a D-link G-604T
This is an aging router and I'm looking to replace it with a wireless G or Draft-N router with the best range possible.

I'm Looking at a few on www.overclockers.co.uk

Draft-N Routers:
Netgear DG834N (I Like Netgear but its expensive)
Buffalo Nfiniti (came up well in a PCW Mag Review)

Wireless G Routers:
Netgear DG834PN (comes with free adapter)

I would like the name to be a known brand (£80 needs to last)

Also any other Good Routers please mention

Oh By the way i am connecting the router to:
A Dell Inspiron 6400
and a Linkskys PCI adapter

Thanks in advance

Michael

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
"Draft n" may have certain advantages, but it should be considered a temporary solution. In truth, "draft n" = "not n" since the 802.11n specification has not been agreed, let alone released. It (draft n) has issues that means that it MUST be changed before the "real" 802.11n is released (primarily it causes interference with existing 802.11g networks - you won't be popular with your neighbors).

If you need / desire / can't live without the claimed advantages of draft-n then at least be an informed consumer: the advantages are real but over-hyped, and, there is no guarantee the draft-n routers, etc., will be upgradeable to the final standard (in fact, with some manufacturers, it can be guaranteed they CANNOT be upgraded). Plus, you would probably need to stick with same-manufacturer equipment for routers, adapters, etc.

Personally, I'd stick with standard 802.11g & stay away from MIMO and draft-n for now. But, YMMV.

I do like Buffalo equipment. D-Link also makes good routers.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Iceblue is going to like this, I'm agreeing with his opinions on 11n. It will proabably late in 2007 before the 11n is ratified, maybe longer with all of the problems they are having. The current course indicates they did not learn much from the 11b to g transition. I only expect it to get worst.

I use a Netgear router, wired, with a standalone AP. Don't like combo units.

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Iceblue is going to like this, I'm agreeing with his opinions on 11n. ...I use a Netgear router, wired, with a standalone AP. Don't like combo units.
:wink: Also vice-versa... my reply above restates stuff you've also said before. I also like Netgear routers. We actually agree more than we disagree, but our disagreements are more fun! :)