Sign in with
Your question

IDE DVD burner in an SATA computer.

Last response: in Storage
March 16, 2007 12:05:40 AM

I bought a Dell Dimension 521, but didn't order a DVD burner as I had just bought a SAMSUNG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write, LightScribe Technology Black IDE Model SH-S182M/BEBE - OEM for my last machine two months ago. I then learned the new computer didn't have any IDE connectors, so I bought an IDE to SATA converter. I'm pretty much a newbie at this but I figured it couldn't be too hard to install on my own. I attached the converter to the back of the drive and using the DVD drive already installed as a guide, I plugged the molex connector to the power supply and the SATA into the motherboard. The damn thing doesn't work. It doesn't even seem to power on. Does anyone have an idea what I may have done wrong?
a c 152 G Storage
March 16, 2007 4:56:04 AM

Well there seems to be no replies...

So first, double and tipple check to make sure there is no IDE port hiding somewhere.

I have not used those IDE to SATA devices but I assume they should work with a CD/DVD-rom. Can you post the adapter you bought? Also make sure your DVD drive is set to MASTER(or single...never slave or CS). if not i do not think those things will work. If it does not work, return it?

If all else fails and you have room, you can always try a IDE to USB and just run the cable out the back and plug it in. Those I KNOW work with CD/DVD's
USB to IDE/SATA

Hope this helps
March 16, 2007 7:03:20 AM

I bought an SATA-to-Parallel ATA Device Bridge/Adapter made by SYBA from Fry's Electronics.

Specs & Features

One 40pin IDE port
One Serial ATA port
One 4pin power connector
Convert PATA/IDE devices to SATA connection
Supports ATA 100/133
Compliant with Serial ATA specifications

Does this help?
Related resources
March 24, 2007 3:55:42 PM

That's the converter! The burner was set to master when I had it in my old computer. I was able to get it to power up last night, but Vista still does not recognize it.
March 24, 2007 4:59:25 PM

Its entirely possible that the converter does not support ATAPI devices such as Optical drives.

You would be better off buying a PCI PATA controller card imho.
March 24, 2007 5:33:02 PM

Quote:
Well there seems to be no replies...

If all else fails and you have room, you can always try a IDE to USB and just run the cable out the back and plug it in. Those I KNOW work with CD/DVD's

Hope this helps

A inside fire wire one is better.
March 24, 2007 6:10:20 PM

Quote:
You would be better off buying a PCI PATA controller card imho.

I agree, sil680 based pci ata controllers are around $10 (with shipping) much cheaper than any adapter.
March 24, 2007 7:56:04 PM

There were problems I remember a while back with none silicon image controllers.

Does the BIOS recognize the drive? (can you boot from it)
a c 152 G Storage
March 25, 2007 1:55:34 AM

I though so too but....

* One 40-pin female connector for ATA HDD/CDRom/DVD Devices
* Support ATA 100 / 133 HDD and all CDRom / DVD Devices
* One Serial ATA Port
* One 4-pin power connector
* Compliant with Serial ATA 1.0 Specification
* Driverless
* Support Windows 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, XP and Mac OS

Those are the specs.

And yes firewire is good as well, but for optical drive speed USB will not be taxed. On the other hand the firewire is less likely to be shared with another device for long times, yeah go fire wire :) 

Back on topic. Can you test the adapter on another computer?
Maybe the adapter just does not work(RMA time?). PCI IDE/Sata cards are cheap and come in low profile. So it is still an option. With PCI ide cards you have to make sure they run atapi, since not all(my promise one says it will not so never tried it) do.
!