DNS server to use

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
February 25, 2005 10:29:02 PM

I have 5 windows 2000 domain controllers running active directory for a
single AD site. Currently each controller is configured to use itself as the
only DNS server and WINS server. Is this correct ? or should it have a second
dns server configured ? Such as the main PDC's IP address

More about : dns server

Anonymous
February 28, 2005 12:52:01 PM

Hi Pedro, welcome to the group.

With your configuration a problem called "dns island" can occur with W2000
dns servers (fixed with 2003 server). Read up on this:

Frequently asked questions about Windows 2000 DNS and Windows Server 2003
DNS
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;291382

For more information about the Windows 2000 DNS "Island" problem, see
"Chapter 2 - Structural Planning for Branch Office Environments" in the
"Planning" section of the Windows 2000 Server Active Directory Branch Office
Guide at the following Microsoft Web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/planning/...

--
Scott Baldridge
Windows Server MVP, MCSE