upgrade 533 mhz mb to 800 mhz?

Hi,
I want to upgrade the processor on my ecs 661gx-m7 board to the fastest p4 it will take. Problem is it only supports a 533 fsb, hyperthreading but no em64t. Looked around quite a bit but can't seem to find a P4 with hyperthreading and a 533 fsb but no 64. Question 1 is: If my mb supports hyperthreading, does it also support em64t? If not, can I OC my mb to 800 mhz? If so, what's the fastest P4 to get? Also have 1 GB and 1 256 mb stick of pc 3200 400mhz ram. Not looking to replace the mb at this time.
Any and all help would be appreciated.
10 answers Last reply
More about upgrade
  1. I cannot recommend a P4 upgrade 8O

Buddy you would be much better of going with a new mboard and processor.

Wait till may-june.
  2. Agreed. I spent $50 on a motherboard for an old P4 processor, and it was barely worth it. :-P
  3. 50 dollars on a P4 :lol:

Now only if i had a time machine :wink: :idea:
  4. ? The motherboard I bought takes PCI-E cards, and is able to hold 2 gigs of PC3200 ram. I paid $50 so I didn't have to buy an AGP card. :-) I had ram, a processor, case, PSU...I just wanted a good mobo for an HTPC.
  5. Quote:
    I cannot recommend a P4 upgrade 8O

Buddy you would be much better of going with a new mboard and processor.

Wait till may-june.

Hey Slash, what happens in may-june?
  6. AMD releases a bunch of new products...chipset, video cards...
  7. Thanks, jd et al for your help-I'll probably go with a new mb and cpu if I can find a combo that fits my existing config w/out breaking the bank. the celeron d 351 that came with this system is a real grinder which is why I want to upgrade in the first place.
    Thanks again...
  8. Keep in mind, a new motherboard may require a PCI-E video card, DDR2 memory, and a heavier PSU...

If you don't have much to throw at it, I'd save up.
  9. Thanks for your reply. Aren't there any boards that incorporate old and new tech? When I was building 486's, k-2 & 3's & athlons, it seems that there was always some boards out there that had legacy support as well as new tech.
    I think I'll look for a am2 upgraders board. Asrock? Asus, Abit, Soyo, Tyan?
    What we really need is a Fry's in southern Ohio...What do you think?

thanks again.
  10. If you're looking to unload a P4, I might be interested, provided it's dirt cheap. <$50

There are boards that have PCI-E slots for socket 478. ASRock makes a mATX board, the P4VM890 which is what I've got. Then there's one made by Tyan I believe, but it costs more. There's the MSI 915GM Speedstar FA4R too but it's not that cheap either, around $120. You can shop Fry's online but it's not that cheap compared to some other sites. AM2 is ok, but right now Core2Duo's are still top dog.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Processors Overclocking