Upcoming Pokemon Movies!

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon,rec.arts.anime.misc (More info?)

Just a reminder. On Friday, 1/21, the Cartoon Network will have
the cable debut of the the Sixth Pokemon movie: "Pokemon: Jirachi Wish
Maker". This is a tie-in to the premiere of the Seventh Pokemon movie:
"Pokemon: Destiny Deoxys", to be shown on the Kids' WB lineup on
Saturday, 1/22. "Deoxys" comes out on Disney/Miramax DVD on February 15.

- Inkan
http://bellsouthpwp.net/l/a/lara6281/intro.html
20 answers Last reply
More about upcoming pokemon movies
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon,rec.arts.anime.misc (More info?)

    Why would anyone be interested in Jirachi Wish Maker if it was out in
    the beginning of the last year?
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon,rec.arts.anime.misc (More info?)

    On 20 Jan 2005 06:35:25 -0800, "The Blaziken Master"
    <bjacolgruntz@yahoo.com> wrote to rec.arts.anime.misc:

    >Why would anyone be interested in Jirachi Wish Maker if it was out in
    >the beginning of the last year?

    Why would anyone be interested in anything old? Because they're fans,
    of course.

    --
    Rob Kelk <http://robkelk.ottawa-anime.org/> robkelk -at- gmail -dot- com
    "I'm *not* a kid! Nyyyeaaah!" - Skuld (in "Oh My Goddess!" OAV #3)

    The Blaziken Master wrote:
    > Why would anyone be interested in Jirachi Wish Maker if it was out in
    > the beginning of the last year?

    Because many haven't seen it yet and it happens to be the best Pokemon
    movie since the first one. I realize that there may not be many Pokemon
    fans on this board, but I would urge anime fans to give it a look. It's
    charming, beautifully designed and animated, has some interesting
    characters and actually has a pretty good storyline. And a nice theme
    song at the end, which is sung in both Japanese and English versions
    (alternating verses) by two different singers. (Quite a change from the
    awful closing songs of previous English-dubbed Pokemon movies.)

    I was upset last year that JIRACHI WISH MAKER went straight to DVD
    without benefit of a theatrical release, especially since it's one of
    the best-looking films in the entire series and would have looked nice
    on the big screen. This new announcement is even more upsetting. It's
    going straight to Kids WB, even BEFORE a DVD release. Granted, I
    understand that the movies' audience kept dwindling, so I can't really
    complain. And I guess showing it on Kids WB might actually boost DVD
    sales by reaching as big an audience (or bigger) on one Saturday
    morning as a theatrical release would in a few weeks of release.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon,rec.arts.anime.misc (More info?)

    leo86@my-deja.com wrote:
    > The Blaziken Master wrote:
    >
    >>Why would anyone be interested in Jirachi Wish Maker if it was out in
    >>the beginning of the last year?
    >

    > Because many haven't seen it yet

    I haven't for one. I haven't had time to rent the DVD, and I
    didn't really want to spend the money to do so anyway. :-)

    > and it happens to be the best Pokemon movie since the first one.

    Really. I'll have to see that for myself. But I thought the
    fifth movie, "Pokemon Heroes", was a great movie. JWM has got a tough
    act to follow then.

    > I realize that there may not be many Pokemon fans on this board, but I would urge anime fans
    > to give it a look.

    At the last minute I decided to crosspost to rec.arts.anime.misc
    as well as alt.games.nintendo.pokemon, just for the heck of it. I
    wanted to see what traffic that would generate.

    > And I guess showing it on Kids WB might actually boost DVD
    > sales by reaching as big an audience (or bigger) on one Saturday
    > morning as a theatrical release would in a few weeks of release.

    It's very odd really. The Kids' WB Network actually helping boost
    a Disney ( Miramax ) DVD release.
    Also kind of weird that Disney is releasing a new Pokemon movie
    DVD just a few days before Disney releases its three Miyazaki movie
    DVD's. It's like Disney is covering the whole spectrum of anime. :-)

    - Inkan
    http://bellsouthpwp.net/l/a/lara6281

    [ From "Bad Boy" of "Kim Possible" ]
    Kim: And I am...
    Wade: Sheela! Of the Leopard people!
    Kim: I was going to say, "Not feeling 100% about wearing this catsuit."
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon,rec.arts.anime.misc (More info?)

    <leo86@my-deja.com> wrote in message
    > The Blaziken Master wrote:
    >> Why would anyone be interested in Jirachi Wish Maker if it was out in
    >> the beginning of the last year?
    >
    > Because many haven't seen it yet and it happens to be the best Pokemon
    > movie since the first one.

    Got to disagree with you here - definately not one of the best, however well
    worth seeing. I am hoping that Destiny Deoxys is a bit better...either way I
    will add it to my DVD collection when it comes out in February.

    My list of the movies - from best to worst:

    The First Movie
    Pokemon 4 Ever
    Pokemon Heroes
    Mewtwo Strikes Back
    Pokemon 2000
    Jirachi Wish Maker
    Pokemon 3

    - Of course that order is a bit different when the extra Pokemon shorts are
    included...some of those are better than the movies.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon,rec.arts.anime.misc (More info?)

    In article <1106262563.381250.104490@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
    <leo86@my-deja.com> wrote:
    >The Blaziken Master wrote:
    >> Why would anyone be interested in Jirachi Wish Maker if it was out in
    >> the beginning of the last year?
    >
    >Because many haven't seen it yet and it happens to be the best Pokemon
    >movie since the first one.

    That is a matter of opinion, and ours differ. The obligatory Team
    Rocket appearance was awkward, and very obviously "obligatory" rather
    than a cute aside (actually, Jesse, James, and Meowth have had
    important roles in some of the other movies). I didn't like the
    plot as much as some of the others. Overall, I'd rate it pretty
    low in terms of Pokemon movies. (Not that I'd discourage a Pokemon
    fan from seeing it, of course; none of the movies are bad. Unlike
    Star Trek, but I'm getting off-topic here.)

    I realize that there may not be many Pokemon
    >fans on this board,

    On alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (where I'm reading this)?

    >on the big screen. This new announcement is even more upsetting. It's
    >going straight to Kids WB, even BEFORE a DVD release. Granted, I
    >understand that the movies' audience kept dwindling, so I can't really
    >complain. And I guess showing it on Kids WB might actually boost DVD
    >sales by reaching as big an audience (or bigger) on one Saturday
    >morning as a theatrical release would in a few weeks of release.

    I don't care, really. I won't see Kids WB, but I can get the DVD
    when it comes out and watch it then.

    david@thornley.net | If you don't, flee.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon,rec.arts.anime.misc (More info?)

    On 20 Jan 2005 leo86@my-deja.com wrote:

    > I was upset last year that JIRACHI WISH MAKER went straight to DVD
    > without benefit of a theatrical release, especially since it's one of
    > the best-looking films in the entire series and would have looked nice
    > on the big screen. This new announcement is even more upsetting. It's
    > going straight to Kids WB, even BEFORE a DVD release. Granted, I

    Jirachi was shown on CN, actually.
    Deoxys is the one on KidsWB SatAM.

    Laters. =)

    Stan
    --
    _______ ________ _______ ____ ___ ___ ______ ______
    | __|__ __| _ | \ | | | | _____| _____|
    | ( _| | http://www.uofr.net/~lostrune/
    \ ______| _______ ____ ___
    / \ / \ | _ | \ | |
    / \/ \| _ | |\ |
    /___/\/\___|__| |__|___| \ ___|
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon,rec.arts.anime.misc (More info?)

    On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Inkan wrote:

    > leo86@my-deja.com wrote:
    >
    > > And I guess showing it on Kids WB might actually boost DVD
    > > sales by reaching as big an audience (or bigger) on one Saturday
    > > morning as a theatrical release would in a few weeks of release.
    >
    > It's very odd really. The Kids' WB Network actually helping boost
    > a Disney ( Miramax ) DVD release.

    And Disney is showing WB's "Harry Potter: Sorceror's Stone."

    It doesn't matter really.
    Channels show whatever they can to grab ratings.

    Laters. =)

    Stan
    --
    _______ ________ _______ ____ ___ ___ ______ ______
    | __|__ __| _ | \ | | | | _____| _____|
    | ( _| | http://www.uofr.net/~lostrune/
    \ ______| _______ ____ ___
    / \ / \ | _ | \ | |
    / \/ \| _ | |\ |
    /___/\/\___|__| |__|___| \ ___|
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon,rec.arts.anime.misc (More info?)

    In article <mxJHd.69939$zy6.61251@bignews5.bellsouth.net>,
    Inkan <lara6281@bellsouth.net> wrote:
    > Just a reminder. On Friday, 1/21, the Cartoon Network will have
    > the cable debut of the the Sixth Pokemon movie: "Pokemon: Jirachi Wish
    > Maker". This is a tie-in to the premiere of the Seventh Pokemon movie:
    > "Pokemon: Destiny Deoxys", to be shown on the Kids' WB lineup on
    > Saturday, 1/22. "Deoxys" comes out on Disney/Miramax DVD on February 15.

    I think I'd rank this as one of the top three Pokemon movies. There's a
    stronger sense of the kids being in real jeopardy than there has been
    for a long time in the movie series. Now, I said several months ago (on
    rec.arts.anime.misc) that I was looking forward to seeing how this movie
    would make use of its location scouting in Vancouver, and my conclusion
    is that the production team really *were* trying to take a vaction on
    the company's dime. If they wanted futuristic architecture, they
    probably would have been better off creating original designs. The
    biggest irony is that Expo 2005 is going to be held this summer in
    Aichi, Japan, but for this movie they decided to fly across the Pacific
    to look mostly at the former site of Expo '86.

    The bridge that passes over the island where Laroussse City is located
    is based on a bridge across the Fraser River. The monorail is only
    based very loosely on Vancouver's Skytrain, since the Skytrain isn't
    actually a monorail at all but an el-train, and its cars don't have any
    overhead hand grips. The garden in Professor Lund's lab looks like the
    Bloedel Conservatory from the inside (where G-Saviour was also filmed),
    and the spherical building where the prisoners were held is the Science
    World dome without the building surrounding its base. Also, as Deoxys
    first enters the city, there's a very brief shot of it flying overhead,
    seen through what looks like the glass roof of the Law Courts.

    If Team Rocket absolutely has to make a token appearance in every movie,
    the way it was handled here is probably the least intrusive way of doing
    it. They're not trying to steal Pokemon, they don't interact with any
    of the characters, they're just bystanders.

    --
    Julian Fong
    jhfong@aol.comXYZZY

    "Raph" <raphs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > The First Movie
    > Mewtwo Strikes Back

    Actually, the titles you gave are *both* for the first movie. ;-)
    The English title of the 2nd Mewtwo Movie is "Mewtwo Returns".

    My ratings? Look:

    1. Pokemon Heroes
    2. Pokemon: The Movie
    3. Pokemon 4 Ever
    4. Pokemon: Jirachi
    5. Pokemon 2000
    6. Mewtwo Returns (not really a "movie", but whatever :-)
    7. Pokemon 3

    I can't decide exactly where to put the new movie yet, though sadly I wasn't
    too impressed....

    ----
    David Pochron dpoch@ticon.net
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon,rec.arts.anime.misc (More info?)

    David Thornley wrote:

    > On alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (where I'm reading this)?

    I crossposted to rec.arts.anime.misc just to increase the traffic.
    I was curious as to what discussion about "Pokemon" would be like on
    r.a.a.m., where it's an anime that doesn't get much notice for some reason.

    - Inkan
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon,rec.arts.anime.misc (More info?)

    S.t.A.n.L.e.E wrote:

    > And Disney is showing WB's "Harry Potter: Sorceror's Stone."

    Ah, I forgot about that. I was surprised when I heard about this.
    I don't follow the Harry Potter fandom. I wonder if the people over
    at the harry-potter newsgroups are tearing their hair out over this. :-)

    > It doesn't matter really.
    > Channels show whatever they can to grab ratings.

    Yeah, fandom rivalries are lame.

    - Juan F. Lara
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon,rec.arts.anime.misc (More info?)

    Inkan wrote:

    > S.t.A.n.L.e.E wrote:
    >
    > > And Disney is showing WB's "Harry Potter: Sorceror's Stone."
    >
    > Ah, I forgot about that. I was surprised when I heard about this.
    > I don't follow the Harry Potter fandom. I wonder if the people over
    > at the harry-potter newsgroups are tearing their hair out over this. :-)
    >
    > > It doesn't matter really.
    > > Channels show whatever they can to grab ratings.
    >
    > Yeah, fandom rivalries are lame.
    >
    > - Juan F. Lara

    Most of them are not that big on the movies anyways.
    and that is now the third showing of that film and all the big movie fans
    allready copyed it.

    --
    Richard The Blind Typer
    Lets Hear It For Talking Computers.

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 02:55:40 UTC, "David Pochron" <dpoch@ticon.net> wrote:

    > My ratings? Look:
    >
    > 1. Pokemon Heroes
    > 2. Pokemon: The Movie
    > 3. Pokemon 4 Ever
    > 4. Pokemon: Jirachi
    > 5. Pokemon 2000
    > 6. Mewtwo Returns (not really a "movie", but whatever :-)
    > 7. Pokemon 3

    Really?

    I haven't seen Jiraichi yet, although maybe I will soon. I haven't
    seen Mewtwo Returns either.

    My personal favourite is probably Pokemon 3 (Spell of the Unown(?)),
    the one with Entei. I found it refreshingly 'different', and it
    managed to be suprisingly mature without resorting to dark
    themeology like the first movie.

    The first one was also really good, or WOULD have been if not for
    the obvious dub tampering with plot and dialog.

    I saw Pokemon Heroes only a week ago, and, while it was decent
    enough, it felt more like an OAV than a movie. (Was it an OAV
    in Japan, like Mewtwo Returns? It definitely seemed like one.
    It was shorter and had a less intense plot than I'm used to the
    Pokemon movies having.)

    > I can't decide exactly where to put the new movie yet, though sadly I wasn't
    > too impressed....

    I'm hard-put to formulate a real opinion of it, since it suffered so
    much from the constant intrusive commercial breaks, and obvious editing
    for time. You can't really appreciate a movie like that.

    | Alex Taylor http://www.cs-club.org/~alex |
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon,rec.arts.anime.misc (More info?)

    Julian Fong wrote:

    > I think I'd rank this as one of the top three Pokemon movies.
    There's a
    > stronger sense of the kids being in real jeopardy than there has been

    > for a long time in the movie series.

    Can you summarize the plot for us sometimes-Pokefans?^^

    Also, is Misty/Kasumi still in the movie series? If not, what's the
    last movie she turned up in? Who's travelling with Ash/Satoshi now?
    Dex
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon,rec.arts.anime.misc (More info?)

    Hand-of-Omega wrote:

    > Also, is Misty/Kasumi still in the movie series? If not, what's the
    > last movie she turned up in? Who's travelling with Ash/Satoshi now?

    Kasumi left in the TV episode "Gotta Catch Ya Later", to take care
    of the Cerulean Gym while her sisters are away. Her last movie was the
    fifth one, "Pokemon Heroes". A romantic kiss given to Ash by Latias at
    the end of that movie might've made her think that it was time to move
    on. :-) But she reappears occasionally in TV specials and at least two
    new eps. Ash and Brock now travel with sibling Haruka/May and Max, who
    also star in the movies.

    - Inkan
    http://bellsouthpwp.net/l/a/lara6281/intro.html
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon,rec.arts.anime.misc (More info?)

    Raph wrote:

    > My list of the movies - from best to worst:
    >
    > The First Movie
    > Pokemon 4 Ever
    > Pokemon Heroes
    > Mewtwo Strikes Back
    > Pokemon 2000
    > Jirachi Wish Maker
    > Pokemon 3

    Hmm, almost the exact opposite of my views. I'd rank them as follows:

    Pokemon 3
    Pokemon 4Ever
    Jirachi Wishmaker
    Pokemon 2000
    Pokemon Heroes
    The First Movie

    -- White Cat
    http://pokedex.kary.ca/
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon,rec.arts.anime.misc (More info?)

    White Cat wrote:

    > Pokemon 3
    > Pokemon 4Ever
    > Jirachi Wishmaker
    > Pokemon 2000
    > Pokemon Heroes
    > The First Movie

    1. Pokemon Heroes
    2. Pokemon the Movie 2000
    3. Pokemon: Jirachi Wish Maker
    4. Pokemon the Movie 3
    5. Pokemon 4Ever
    6. Pokemon: the First Movie

    The plotlines concerning Latios and Latias are hard to top.

    - Inkan
    http://bellsouthpwp.net/l/a/lara6281/intro.html

    "It looks like Latias has taken a liking to this young man."
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon,rec.arts.anime.misc (More info?)

    David Pochron wrote:

    > I can't decide exactly where to put the new movie yet, though sadly I
    wasn't
    > too impressed....

    I wasn't too impressed either.

    Spoilers

    It was basically one long fight. The legendaries involved were the most
    lacking in personality and motivation since the second movie. Deoxys
    was trying to recover his friend, big deal. And Raquesa was just a dumb
    animal being territorial. Very boring stuff. There's a ridiculous
    scene at the end involving those blocks used as security robots. Plusle
    and Minun were cute though. They and Munchlax almost saved the movie,
    but not quite.

    - Inkan
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon,rec.arts.anime.misc (More info?)

    "S.t.A.n.L.e.E" <LostRune+NGs@UofR.SlamSpam.net> wrote in message

    > And Disney is showing WB's "Harry Potter: Sorceror's Stone."

    Well I was wondering about that too, thank goodness it
    wasn't just me.

    > It doesn't matter really.
    > Channels show whatever they can to grab ratings.

    Up next on Cartoon Network, the Ator trilogy!!!!

    --
    All Purpose Cultural Randomness
    http://www.angelfire.com/tx/apcr/index.html

Movies Games Nintendo Video Games