Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Upcoming Pokemon Movies!

Tags:
  • Movies
  • Games
  • Nintendo
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 6:02:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon,rec.arts.anime.misc (More info?)

Just a reminder. On Friday, 1/21, the Cartoon Network will have
the cable debut of the the Sixth Pokemon movie: "Pokemon: Jirachi Wish
Maker". This is a tie-in to the premiere of the Seventh Pokemon movie:
"Pokemon: Destiny Deoxys", to be shown on the Kids' WB lineup on
Saturday, 1/22. "Deoxys" comes out on Disney/Miramax DVD on February 15.

- Inkan
http://bellsouthpwp.net/l/a/lara6281/intro.html

More about : upcoming pokemon movies

Anonymous
January 20, 2005 9:35:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon,rec.arts.anime.misc (More info?)

Why would anyone be interested in Jirachi Wish Maker if it was out in
the beginning of the last year?
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 1:08:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon,rec.arts.anime.misc (More info?)

On 20 Jan 2005 06:35:25 -0800, "The Blaziken Master"
<bjacolgruntz@yahoo.com> wrote to rec.arts.anime.misc:

>Why would anyone be interested in Jirachi Wish Maker if it was out in
>the beginning of the last year?

Why would anyone be interested in anything old? Because they're fans,
of course.

--
Rob Kelk <http://robkelk.ottawa-anime.org/&gt; robkelk -at- gmail -dot- com
"I'm *not* a kid! Nyyyeaaah!" - Skuld (in "Oh My Goddess!" OAV #3)
"When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of
childishness and the desire to be very grown-up." - C.S. Lewis, 1947
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 6:09:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon,rec.arts.anime.misc (More info?)

The Blaziken Master wrote:
> Why would anyone be interested in Jirachi Wish Maker if it was out in
> the beginning of the last year?

Because many haven't seen it yet and it happens to be the best Pokemon
movie since the first one. I realize that there may not be many Pokemon
fans on this board, but I would urge anime fans to give it a look. It's
charming, beautifully designed and animated, has some interesting
characters and actually has a pretty good storyline. And a nice theme
song at the end, which is sung in both Japanese and English versions
(alternating verses) by two different singers. (Quite a change from the
awful closing songs of previous English-dubbed Pokemon movies.)

I was upset last year that JIRACHI WISH MAKER went straight to DVD
without benefit of a theatrical release, especially since it's one of
the best-looking films in the entire series and would have looked nice
on the big screen. This new announcement is even more upsetting. It's
going straight to Kids WB, even BEFORE a DVD release. Granted, I
understand that the movies' audience kept dwindling, so I can't really
complain. And I guess showing it on Kids WB might actually boost DVD
sales by reaching as big an audience (or bigger) on one Saturday
morning as a theatrical release would in a few weeks of release.
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 5:18:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon,rec.arts.anime.misc (More info?)

leo86@my-deja.com wrote:
> The Blaziken Master wrote:
>
>>Why would anyone be interested in Jirachi Wish Maker if it was out in
>>the beginning of the last year?
>
>
> Because many haven't seen it yet

I haven't for one. I haven't had time to rent the DVD, and I
didn't really want to spend the money to do so anyway. :-)

> and it happens to be the best Pokemon movie since the first one.

Really. I'll have to see that for myself. But I thought the
fifth movie, "Pokemon Heroes", was a great movie. JWM has got a tough
act to follow then.

> I realize that there may not be many Pokemon fans on this board, but I would urge anime fans
> to give it a look.

At the last minute I decided to crosspost to rec.arts.anime.misc
as well as alt.games.nintendo.pokemon, just for the heck of it. I
wanted to see what traffic that would generate.

> And I guess showing it on Kids WB might actually boost DVD
> sales by reaching as big an audience (or bigger) on one Saturday
> morning as a theatrical release would in a few weeks of release.

It's very odd really. The Kids' WB Network actually helping boost
a Disney ( Miramax ) DVD release.
Also kind of weird that Disney is releasing a new Pokemon movie
DVD just a few days before Disney releases its three Miyazaki movie
DVD's. It's like Disney is covering the whole spectrum of anime. :-)

- Inkan
http://bellsouthpwp.net/l/a/lara6281

[ From "Bad Boy" of "Kim Possible" ]
Kim: And I am...
Wade: Sheela! Of the Leopard people!
Kim: I was going to say, "Not feeling 100% about wearing this catsuit."
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 11:20:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon,rec.arts.anime.misc (More info?)

<leo86@my-deja.com> wrote in message
news:1106262563.381250.104490@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> The Blaziken Master wrote:
>> Why would anyone be interested in Jirachi Wish Maker if it was out in
>> the beginning of the last year?
>
> Because many haven't seen it yet and it happens to be the best Pokemon
> movie since the first one.

Got to disagree with you here - definately not one of the best, however well
worth seeing. I am hoping that Destiny Deoxys is a bit better...either way I
will add it to my DVD collection when it comes out in February.

My list of the movies - from best to worst:

The First Movie
Pokemon 4 Ever
Pokemon Heroes
Mewtwo Strikes Back
Pokemon 2000
Jirachi Wish Maker
Pokemon 3

- Of course that order is a bit different when the extra Pokemon shorts are
included...some of those are better than the movies.
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 3:38:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon,rec.arts.anime.misc (More info?)

In article <1106262563.381250.104490@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
<leo86@my-deja.com> wrote:
>The Blaziken Master wrote:
>> Why would anyone be interested in Jirachi Wish Maker if it was out in
>> the beginning of the last year?
>
>Because many haven't seen it yet and it happens to be the best Pokemon
>movie since the first one.

That is a matter of opinion, and ours differ. The obligatory Team
Rocket appearance was awkward, and very obviously "obligatory" rather
than a cute aside (actually, Jesse, James, and Meowth have had
important roles in some of the other movies). I didn't like the
plot as much as some of the others. Overall, I'd rate it pretty
low in terms of Pokemon movies. (Not that I'd discourage a Pokemon
fan from seeing it, of course; none of the movies are bad. Unlike
Star Trek, but I'm getting off-topic here.)

I realize that there may not be many Pokemon
>fans on this board,

On alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (where I'm reading this)?

>on the big screen. This new announcement is even more upsetting. It's
>going straight to Kids WB, even BEFORE a DVD release. Granted, I
>understand that the movies' audience kept dwindling, so I can't really
>complain. And I guess showing it on Kids WB might actually boost DVD
>sales by reaching as big an audience (or bigger) on one Saturday
>morning as a theatrical release would in a few weeks of release.
>
I don't care, really. I won't see Kids WB, but I can get the DVD
when it comes out and watch it then.





--
David H. Thornley | If you want my opinion, ask.
david@thornley.net | If you don't, flee.
http://www.thornley.net/~thornley/david/ | O-
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 4:52:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon,rec.arts.anime.misc (More info?)

On 20 Jan 2005 leo86@my-deja.com wrote:

>
> I was upset last year that JIRACHI WISH MAKER went straight to DVD
> without benefit of a theatrical release, especially since it's one of
> the best-looking films in the entire series and would have looked nice
> on the big screen. This new announcement is even more upsetting. It's
> going straight to Kids WB, even BEFORE a DVD release. Granted, I
>

Jirachi was shown on CN, actually.
Deoxys is the one on KidsWB SatAM.

Laters. =)

Stan
--
_______ ________ _______ ____ ___ ___ ______ ______
| __|__ __| _ | \ | | | | _____| _____|
|__ | | | | _ | |\ | |___| ____|| ____|
|_______| |__| |__| |__|___| \ ___|_______|______|______|
__| | ( )
/ _ | |/ LostRune+sig [at] UofR [dot] net
| ( _| | http://www.uofr.net/~lostrune/
\ ______| _______ ____ ___
/ \ / \ | _ | \ | |
/ \/ \| _ | |\ |
/___/\/\___|__| |__|___| \ ___|
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 4:57:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon,rec.arts.anime.misc (More info?)

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Inkan wrote:

> leo86@my-deja.com wrote:
>
> > And I guess showing it on Kids WB might actually boost DVD
> > sales by reaching as big an audience (or bigger) on one Saturday
> > morning as a theatrical release would in a few weeks of release.
>
> It's very odd really. The Kids' WB Network actually helping boost
> a Disney ( Miramax ) DVD release.
>

And Disney is showing WB's "Harry Potter: Sorceror's Stone."

It doesn't matter really.
Channels show whatever they can to grab ratings.

Laters. =)

Stan
--
_______ ________ _______ ____ ___ ___ ______ ______
| __|__ __| _ | \ | | | | _____| _____|
|__ | | | | _ | |\ | |___| ____|| ____|
|_______| |__| |__| |__|___| \ ___|_______|______|______|
__| | ( )
/ _ | |/ LostRune+sig [at] UofR [dot] net
| ( _| | http://www.uofr.net/~lostrune/
\ ______| _______ ____ ___
/ \ / \ | _ | \ | |
/ \/ \| _ | |\ |
/___/\/\___|__| |__|___| \ ___|
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 5:30:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon,rec.arts.anime.misc (More info?)

In article <mxJHd.69939$zy6.61251@bignews5.bellsouth.net>,
Inkan <lara6281@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Just a reminder. On Friday, 1/21, the Cartoon Network will have
> the cable debut of the the Sixth Pokemon movie: "Pokemon: Jirachi Wish
> Maker". This is a tie-in to the premiere of the Seventh Pokemon movie:
> "Pokemon: Destiny Deoxys", to be shown on the Kids' WB lineup on
> Saturday, 1/22. "Deoxys" comes out on Disney/Miramax DVD on February 15.

I think I'd rank this as one of the top three Pokemon movies. There's a
stronger sense of the kids being in real jeopardy than there has been
for a long time in the movie series. Now, I said several months ago (on
rec.arts.anime.misc) that I was looking forward to seeing how this movie
would make use of its location scouting in Vancouver, and my conclusion
is that the production team really *were* trying to take a vaction on
the company's dime. If they wanted futuristic architecture, they
probably would have been better off creating original designs. The
biggest irony is that Expo 2005 is going to be held this summer in
Aichi, Japan, but for this movie they decided to fly across the Pacific
to look mostly at the former site of Expo '86.

The bridge that passes over the island where Laroussse City is located
is based on a bridge across the Fraser River. The monorail is only
based very loosely on Vancouver's Skytrain, since the Skytrain isn't
actually a monorail at all but an el-train, and its cars don't have any
overhead hand grips. The garden in Professor Lund's lab looks like the
Bloedel Conservatory from the inside (where G-Saviour was also filmed),
and the spherical building where the prisoners were held is the Science
World dome without the building surrounding its base. Also, as Deoxys
first enters the city, there's a very brief shot of it flying overhead,
seen through what looks like the glass roof of the Law Courts.

If Team Rocket absolutely has to make a token appearance in every movie,
the way it was handled here is probably the least intrusive way of doing
it. They're not trying to steal Pokemon, they don't interact with any
of the characters, they're just bystanders.

--
Julian Fong
jhfong@aol.comXYZZY
http://www.evilnet.net/~jhfong/
- Per ardua ad astra -
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 11:55:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon,rec.arts.anime.misc (More info?)

"Raph" <raphs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:rudId.36626$Xs6.25415@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
> The First Movie
....
> Mewtwo Strikes Back

Actually, the titles you gave are *both* for the first movie. ;-)
The English title of the 2nd Mewtwo Movie is "Mewtwo Returns".

My ratings? Look:

1. Pokemon Heroes
2. Pokemon: The Movie
3. Pokemon 4 Ever
4. Pokemon: Jirachi
5. Pokemon 2000
6. Mewtwo Returns (not really a "movie", but whatever :-)
7. Pokemon 3

I can't decide exactly where to put the new movie yet, though sadly I wasn't
too impressed....


----
David Pochron dpoch@ticon.net
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 12:29:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon,rec.arts.anime.misc (More info?)

David Thornley wrote:

> On alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (where I'm reading this)?

I crossposted to rec.arts.anime.misc just to increase the traffic.
I was curious as to what discussion about "Pokemon" would be like on
r.a.a.m., where it's an anime that doesn't get much notice for some reason.

- Inkan
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 12:31:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon,rec.arts.anime.misc (More info?)

S.t.A.n.L.e.E wrote:

> And Disney is showing WB's "Harry Potter: Sorceror's Stone."

Ah, I forgot about that. I was surprised when I heard about this.
I don't follow the Harry Potter fandom. I wonder if the people over
at the harry-potter newsgroups are tearing their hair out over this. :-)

> It doesn't matter really.
> Channels show whatever they can to grab ratings.

Yeah, fandom rivalries are lame.

- Juan F. Lara
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 12:31:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon,rec.arts.anime.misc (More info?)

Inkan wrote:

> S.t.A.n.L.e.E wrote:
>
> > And Disney is showing WB's "Harry Potter: Sorceror's Stone."
>
> Ah, I forgot about that. I was surprised when I heard about this.
> I don't follow the Harry Potter fandom. I wonder if the people over
> at the harry-potter newsgroups are tearing their hair out over this. :-)
>
> > It doesn't matter really.
> > Channels show whatever they can to grab ratings.
>
> Yeah, fandom rivalries are lame.
>
> - Juan F. Lara

Most of them are not that big on the movies anyways.
and that is now the third showing of that film and all the big movie fans
allready copyed it.

--
Richard The Blind Typer
Lets Hear It For Talking Computers.
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 3:32:05 PM

Archived from groups: rec.arts.anime.misc,alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 02:55:40 UTC, "David Pochron" <dpoch@ticon.net> wrote:

> My ratings? Look:
>
> 1. Pokemon Heroes
> 2. Pokemon: The Movie
> 3. Pokemon 4 Ever
> 4. Pokemon: Jirachi
> 5. Pokemon 2000
> 6. Mewtwo Returns (not really a "movie", but whatever :-)
> 7. Pokemon 3

Really?

I haven't seen Jiraichi yet, although maybe I will soon. I haven't
seen Mewtwo Returns either.

My personal favourite is probably Pokemon 3 (Spell of the Unown(?)),
the one with Entei. I found it refreshingly 'different', and it
managed to be suprisingly mature without resorting to dark
themeology like the first movie.

The first one was also really good, or WOULD have been if not for
the obvious dub tampering with plot and dialog.

I saw Pokemon Heroes only a week ago, and, while it was decent
enough, it felt more like an OAV than a movie. (Was it an OAV
in Japan, like Mewtwo Returns? It definitely seemed like one.
It was shorter and had a less intense plot than I'm used to the
Pokemon movies having.)


> I can't decide exactly where to put the new movie yet, though sadly I wasn't
> too impressed....

I'm hard-put to formulate a real opinion of it, since it suffered so
much from the constant intrusive commercial breaks, and obvious editing
for time. You can't really appreciate a movie like that.


--
+---------------------------------------------------------------+
| Alex Taylor http://www.cs-club.org/~alex |
+---------------------------------------------------------------+
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 7:04:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon,rec.arts.anime.misc (More info?)

Julian Fong wrote:

> I think I'd rank this as one of the top three Pokemon movies.
There's a
> stronger sense of the kids being in real jeopardy than there has been

> for a long time in the movie series.

Can you summarize the plot for us sometimes-Pokefans?^^

Also, is Misty/Kasumi still in the movie series? If not, what's the
last movie she turned up in? Who's travelling with Ash/Satoshi now?
Dex
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 10:13:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon,rec.arts.anime.misc (More info?)

Hand-of-Omega wrote:

> Also, is Misty/Kasumi still in the movie series? If not, what's the
> last movie she turned up in? Who's travelling with Ash/Satoshi now?

Kasumi left in the TV episode "Gotta Catch Ya Later", to take care
of the Cerulean Gym while her sisters are away. Her last movie was the
fifth one, "Pokemon Heroes". A romantic kiss given to Ash by Latias at
the end of that movie might've made her think that it was time to move
on. :-) But she reappears occasionally in TV specials and at least two
new eps. Ash and Brock now travel with sibling Haruka/May and Max, who
also star in the movies.

- Inkan
http://bellsouthpwp.net/l/a/lara6281/intro.html
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 2:10:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon,rec.arts.anime.misc (More info?)

Raph wrote:
>
> My list of the movies - from best to worst:
>
> The First Movie
> Pokemon 4 Ever
> Pokemon Heroes
> Mewtwo Strikes Back
> Pokemon 2000
> Jirachi Wish Maker
> Pokemon 3

Hmm, almost the exact opposite of my views. I'd rank them as follows:

Pokemon 3
Pokemon 4Ever
Jirachi Wishmaker
Pokemon 2000
Pokemon Heroes
The First Movie

-- White Cat
http://pokedex.kary.ca/
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 2:10:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon,rec.arts.anime.misc (More info?)

White Cat wrote:

> Pokemon 3
> Pokemon 4Ever
> Jirachi Wishmaker
> Pokemon 2000
> Pokemon Heroes
> The First Movie

1. Pokemon Heroes
2. Pokemon the Movie 2000
3. Pokemon: Jirachi Wish Maker
4. Pokemon the Movie 3
5. Pokemon 4Ever
6. Pokemon: the First Movie

The plotlines concerning Latios and Latias are hard to top.

- Inkan
http://bellsouthpwp.net/l/a/lara6281/intro.html

"It looks like Latias has taken a liking to this young man."
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 6:28:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon,rec.arts.anime.misc (More info?)

David Pochron wrote:
>
> I can't decide exactly where to put the new movie yet, though sadly I
wasn't
> too impressed....

I wasn't too impressed either.

Spoilers

















It was basically one long fight. The legendaries involved were the most
lacking in personality and motivation since the second movie. Deoxys
was trying to recover his friend, big deal. And Raquesa was just a dumb
animal being territorial. Very boring stuff. There's a ridiculous
scene at the end involving those blocks used as security robots. Plusle
and Minun were cute though. They and Munchlax almost saved the movie,
but not quite.

- Inkan
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 5:51:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon,rec.arts.anime.misc (More info?)

"S.t.A.n.L.e.E" <LostRune+NGs@UofR.SlamSpam.net> wrote in message
>
> And Disney is showing WB's "Harry Potter: Sorceror's Stone."

Well I was wondering about that too, thank goodness it
wasn't just me.

> It doesn't matter really.
> Channels show whatever they can to grab ratings.

Up next on Cartoon Network, the Ator trilogy!!!!

--
All Purpose Cultural Randomness
http://www.angelfire.com/tx/apcr/index.html
!