One of the usb device attached to this computer has malfunctioned and windows ca

ordinary_dellusions

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011
Hi all. My windows keeps detecting an "unknown device" in the section "universal serial Bus" and then says "one of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned". I have tried everything i could from uninstalling all USB drives from the Device manager, to doing a registry clean up and even a system repair in CMD command.
I've had to disable the sound Windows 7 craps out when it discovers a new device because it goes off 20 times in the span of 10 minutes. incredibly annoying!
does anyone know if this is a hardware problem or software? should the motherboard be sent back to the factory or something? or is this a windows problm?
thanks all.

ordinary_dellusions

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011
Thank you for your reply.
uninstalling the devices did NOT resolve the problem. soon after the windows re-install them it detects an "unknown device" under "USB serial bus...". for some reason this "unknown device" keeps disappearing and appearing, and every time windows make a sound with a message.
for now i have disabled my USB HUB 2, which disabled 3 of my USBs. a bandage on the wound for now.
I looked at microsoft troubleshooting web page and some engineer had mentioned about extra charge in the USB on the motherboard. if this is a hardware problem do you think I should take the motherboard off and send it back?