Current OC, screenshots and a couple questions.

billyc

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2005
Tcase = Idle 28 Load 35 w/Prime95 59 w/TAT
Tjunction = Idle 48 Load 54 w/Prime95 71 w/TAT

Ambient = 26
Chipset = P965E
C2D = E4300
CPU Cooler = Antec freezer Pro 7
Frequency = 345
Load = Prime95 for 12 hrs, TAT 10 min
Motherboard = Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 rev 02
Vcore = 1.31875

Idle
Prime95
TAT
3DMark05
3DMark06

I'm running at 3.0 with Dimm voltage at +.1 and Vcore down 1 step at 1.31875. What helped my Mark scores was OC'ing the 7900 Gs. My memory clock is 1650MHz and 3d clock is 575MHz. The GPU is a little weak stock. I was surprised it OC'd so well. My temps all seem good to me but I have a question about that.

The "guide" states that load temps of 50 and 65 are sustainable temps. That is referring to Prime95 load and not TAT, isn't it?

My 2nd question relates to Speedfan, at least when I get a fix for the 4.32 version for my system. I understood that the bios temp was correct within 1c, assuming all components were working properly. Doesn't that mean that speedfan should be calibrated to the bios temp for the TCase temp? Also, when I had 4.32 of speedfan running, all temps appeared to be Tcase and none Tjunction (this could be related to the bug in speedfan). Since there is supposed to be a Tjunction, do we just add the 15c to the Tcase? I guess I'm wondering if speedfan is the best tool to monitor temps with. The only other tool I have for Tjunction would be TAT.

When I reboot, I sometimes get the error "MARKFUN_LOAD_NT_DRIVER". I've searched around and some think this is related to EasyTune. Anyone got any info on that? In fact, does anyone have any comments on EasyTune5?

CompuTronix

Intel Master
The "guide" states that load temps of 50 and 65 are sustainable temps. That is referring to Prime95 load and not TAT, isn't it?

That means any load.

My 2nd question relates to Speedfan, at least when I get a fix for the 4.32 version for my system. I understood that the bios temp was correct within 1c, assuming all components were working properly. Doesn't that mean that speedfan should be calibrated to the bios temp for the TCase temp?

Nothing is said about BIOS accuracy. The sensor accuracy spec is +/- 1c. BIOS can be wrong due to inaccurate thermal tables.

Also, when I had 4.32 of speedfan running, all temps appeared to be Tcase and none Tjunction (this could be related to the bug in speedfan). Since there is supposed to be a Tjunction, do we just add the 15c to the Tcase? I guess I'm wondering if speedfan is the best tool to monitor temps with. The only other tool I have for Tjunction would be TAT.

Offsets will allow for the diplay of all 3 C2D temps accurately, however, you first need to undersatand how these temps should relate to one another.

When I reboot, I sometimes get the error "MARKFUN_LOAD_NT_DRIVER". I've searched around and some think this is related to EasyTune. Anyone got any info on that? In fact, does anyone have any comments on EasyTune5?

I recommend that you use only TAT and SpeedFan 4.32 for testing and temp measurements.

Tcase = Idle 28 Load 59 w/TAT
Tjunction = Idle 48 Load 71 w/TAT

Ambient = 26
Chipset = P965E
C2D = E4300
Frequency = 3.0 Ghz
Load = TAT 10 min
Vcore = 1.31875

If you re-test and provide the results from SpeedFan 4.32, then I'll be glad to analyze your temps for offset corrections.

Thanks,

Comp 8)

billyc

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2005
Thanks CompuTronix, I will reload 4.32 and retest. I was beginning to think my post were too boring to respond to. Since this is my first build and first OC, I am really enjoying the learning process.

billyc

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2005
Tcase = Idle 27 load 55
Tjunction = Idle 45 Load 68

Ambient = 25
Chipset = P965E
C2D = E4300
Frequency = 336
Load = TAT 10 min
Vcore = 1.31875

Here's the tat test, I'll get the Prime95 maybe overnight. Here's the screenshots.

Idle
10 Min TAT

CompuTronix

Intel Master
You Tcase Delta is 28 and out of spec (25), and your temps are warmer than they should be for your ambient and Vcore on a mid-range cooler, which typically indicates an improperly seated cooler, a concave Integrated Heat Spreader, and / or poor computer case ventilation.

(1) Did you test as per the Guide with all fans at 100% on manual?

(2) Are you absolutely certain that all 4 clips are securely fastened completely through the motherboard?

(3) Have you inspected your E4300 Integrated Heat Spreader for flatness?

These temps leave you no ceiling to increase Vcore for additional OC, but as they are, your temps are just borderline OK. As for SpeedFan, Tjunction is simply offset by -15c. Use the "Offsets" section of the Guide to configure Core 0/1 for +15c to compensate, and configure the temperatures to "Show in Tray" the hottest core.

Hope this helps,

Comp 8)

billyc

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2005
Right off the bat, I did not have all fans at 100%. I have the P180 case with 3 120mm fans, but running at medium and my cpu cooler was on smart fan. Let me change those easy things first and see if there is a difference.

I'm pretty sure the cooler is all the way in. I screwed up my first one by messing up the clips and the 2nd one, I was pretty meticulous about.

Didn't know to check the heat spreader when things were easy to get to, hope I don't have to go there.

billyc

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2005
I guess I have a little work ahead of me. I set all fans on high and I'm still hitting 70c Tjunction. A couple points, I've been using the house therm for ambient, but I'm in the dining room off of the kitchen. I had a better therm and measured at my location and ambient was 29.6c. Also, my 7900 GS is oc'd pretty high and it generates around 52c. (It was 55c w/fans on medium).

I'll have to order some thermal paste and probably won't get around to reseating the cpu fan for awhile due to time constraints right now. As soon as I can get my ducks in a row, I'll repost. My temps are fine for everything I do, so I'm not worried, just need to get things right. Thanks for all of the help.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Considering the ambient, and the exhaust from the 7900GS in the case, your temps are relatively OK, however, you may still want to check the CPU for flatness, since your Tcase Delta is a bit over spec.

Hope this helps,

Comp 8)

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Considering the ambient, and the exhaust from the 7900GS in the case, your temps are relatively OK, however, you may still want to check the CPU for flatness, since your Tcase Delta is a bit over spec.

Hope this helps,

Comp 8)

I notice that you were also asking me if I checked the flatness of the CPU. If I lap that sucker flat as well as my ninja will I get the 5-10C that I hear about?