Regarding "Kuma" Core

chiefwonk

Distinguished
May 5, 2006
is Kuma a dual core base in K8L architechture, How about sempron X2 & X4 when will they arrive ,by the end of the year???

qcmadness

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
is Kuma a dual core base in K8L architechture, How about sempron X2 & X4 when will they arrive ,by the end of the year???

They should share the same core with different L3 cache systems. :wink:

Not exactly the same core,its a pretty thoroughly revised core.wider sse,dual imc,improved vreg actually independat voltages for cache and core.The changes are significant. And many.

I just mean that the new CPUs will share the same architecture :wink:

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Im looking at the x4 2300, or q6600 in the third quater, the fx 2500 is gonna be awesoe, power drain is stil gonna be a bitch though, but oh the wonderful days a geek could have with the new fx 2500

eregular

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
x4 2500 sounds like a budget quadcore to compete with q6600...the days of quadcore price slashes are near at hand!! They should force users to run F@H...

Sethanis

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
I wouldn't mind seeing a 1207 board with 2X PCI2.0 slots or 3 for that matter, that way i could have my own little workstation pc at home and murder all gaming pc's out there, but unfortunatly we would need quality software to run the ah heck and we r never going to see that from MS.

How will the cache size affect the throughput of the cpu, as we r seeing alot more cache in the intel chips, r those X2s and X4s goin to be handicapped by there lack of cache?

edited because i can't spell

piesquared

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
I'm not sure which cache you are refering to. The L3 should be consistant across all X2's and X4's excluding Sempron. In it's current form, I believe the architecture is scalable to 8MB L3 cache, which we should see in the form of Shanghai, so there will likely be improvements by adding more cache. How much, i'm not sure. Shanghai will also include DC 2.0 which will really feed those cores with even more data.
All specualation of course.

flasher702

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006

That naming system is certainly the least convoluted we've seen since the p2 era, which is kind of nice. But what are they going to do with subsiquent product lines? I'm doubting that is the naming scheme they will really go with. How will they diferentiate low-wattage models? Different feature sets? Different cache sizes? They will release such enhancements to existing product lines sooner or later...

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006

That naming system is certainly the least convoluted we've seen since the p2 era, which is kind of nice. But what are they going to do with subsiquent product lines? I'm doubting that is the naming scheme they will really go with. How will they diferentiate low-wattage models? Different feature sets? Different cache sizes? They will release such enhancements to existing product lines sooner or later...

Wattages would be as that are now I assume, EE and such. AMD doesn't do different feature sets like Intel does (w/ virtualization, w/o, with security features, w/o), at least not to the scale. There will be no difference in cache sizes. If they do make actual refreshes of portions of the line, I'm sure they'll think of something...it's not as if there aren't more than one 3200+ or 3500+.

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Im stoked too, Im wondering how much of a performance hit its gonna be using the am2+ x4 in a regular am2 board. I love my board(asus m2e), and would hate to take my system back apart and redo everything. Hopefully whe its all said a done, i will have a x4 2300(or 2500 if its cheap), 3gb ddr 800(im still gonna use xp pro, so 4gb wouldnt make sense) a 8600 gts and one of those cool logitech gaming keyboards.

tehrobzorz

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
TACHYON?>!

yes well.. they cpus could always go for a x2 2950 = more cache or somthing extra. or maybe lower number for wattage.. like x2 2910,

but maybe they shouldnt cause the x2 2950 would get mixed up with the radeon x2950s( if there will be )

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
Im stoked too, Im wondering how much of a performance hit its gonna be using the am2+ x4 in a regular am2 board. I love my board(asus m2e), and would hate to take my system back apart and redo everything. Hopefully whe its all said a done, i will have a x4 2300(or 2500 if its cheap), 3gb ddr 800(im still gonna use xp pro, so 4gb wouldnt make sense) a 8600 gts and one of those cool logitech gaming keyboards.

I dont know if am2 can do quad,my dad has the same mobo,he just got the 5400x2.its pretty zippy.

I opted for the 3600 x2 so that i could do am2+.I think I will be happy with it.and I dont see anything but htt bieng a perf blocker here.which doesnt count for much of a loss.Dual IMC is questionable on am2,but I dont know if it will actually disable one unit or not.I wouldnt think so but i really cant say.

I don't see why it wouldn't be able to.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

I dont know if am2 can do quad,my dad has the same mobo,he just got the 5400x2.its pretty zippy.

I opted for the 3600 x2 so that i could do am2+.I think I will be happy with it.and I dont see anything but htt bieng a perf blocker here.which doesnt count for much of a loss.Dual IMC is questionable on am2,but I dont know if it will actually disable one unit or not.I wouldnt think so but i really cant say.Dewd.... I hope you were more careful ...installing the CPU. :wink: :tongue:

HeHeHe!!!

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Yeah I should have seen that coming :lol: :lol: :lol: all I need now is the chorus of people who joined me on that thread. to join you in giving me a fair dose of friendship :lol: :lol:
Always glad to share my sarcasm. 8) It comes naturally.