Ris - Client computer does not download all the files

Hi everybody
I am trying hard to understant what's going on but nothing till now.

I have these Win2k SP4 computers and create an image on the server with
riprep.

When I try to donwload the image (selecting from the list of my other ones),
the processes starts ok, and seems to finish fine BUT after the restart the
first message is " NTLDR missing ..."

I managed to boot using a floppy and I notice not just the ntldr file is
missing but NTDETECT.com and boot.ini as well.

I had a quick look on the harddisk and most of the files were downloaded but
some files are not present and I can see some $$TEMP$$.~~~ files everywere
(specially inside the folders with missing files).

I checked the uploaded image on server and the files are there. Just for
test I reloaded the image on the server again and again with diferent version
of riprep.

I donwloaded (always using PXE) again in diferent computers (same hardware,
same network card manufacture as well) but no succes....

Any help or ideas?

Best regards

Chessa

Do any of your images work, including the cd-based images? Which ones work?

--
Scott Baldridge
Windows Server MVP, MCSE

"Chessa"
> Hi everybody
> I am trying hard to understant what's going on but nothing till now.
>
> I have these Win2k SP4 computers and create an image on the server with
> riprep.
>
> When I try to donwload the image (selecting from the list of my other
> ones),
> the processes starts ok, and seems to finish fine BUT after the restart
> the
> first message is " NTLDR missing ..."
>
> I managed to boot using a floppy and I notice not just the ntldr file is
> missing but NTDETECT.com and boot.ini as well.
>
> I had a quick look on the harddisk and most of the files were downloaded
> but
> some files are not present and I can see some $$TEMP$$.~~~ files everywere
> (specially inside the folders with missing files).
>
> I checked the uploaded image on server and the files are there. Just for
> test I reloaded the image on the server again and again with diferent
> version
> of riprep.
>
> I donwloaded (always using PXE) again in diferent computers (same
> hardware,
> same network card manufacture as well) but no succes....
>
> Any help or ideas?
>
> Best regards
>
> Chessa

> Do any of your images work, including the cd-based images? Which ones work?

I did not put all the specs and usage on the previous request just to be
"short".

The RIS server works fine with our other images and computers (Windows XP
pro) and I never had any problems since I found out how to set it properly.

The problem is with the "new" images I am preparing : They are windows 2000
computers (SP4) and a complete diferent set of PC's.

A fresh CD-based (SP4) works fine for them.

I think I found the problem (another not documented situation...) and the

Regards
Chessa

> --
> Scott Baldridge
> Windows Server MVP, MCSE
>
> "Chessa"
> > Hi everybody
> > I am trying hard to understant what's going on but nothing till now.
> >
> > I have these Win2k SP4 computers and create an image on the server with
> > riprep.
> >
> > When I try to donwload the image (selecting from the list of my other
> > ones),
> > the processes starts ok, and seems to finish fine BUT after the restart
> > the
> > first message is " NTLDR missing ..."
> >
> > I managed to boot using a floppy and I notice not just the ntldr file is
> > missing but NTDETECT.com and boot.ini as well.
> >
> > I had a quick look on the harddisk and most of the files were downloaded
> > but
> > some files are not present and I can see some $$TEMP$$.~~~ files everywere
> > (specially inside the folders with missing files).
> >
> > I checked the uploaded image on server and the files are there. Just for
> > test I reloaded the image on the server again and again with diferent
> > version
> > of riprep.
> >
> > I donwloaded (always using PXE) again in diferent computers (same
> > hardware,
> > same network card manufacture as well) but no succes....
> >
> > Any help or ideas?
> >
> > Best regards
> >
> > Chessa

Ok everybody I think I found the solution.

I THINK is not documented:

The problem was the rigths in the Hard Disk (c:) from the computer(s) that I
was using to generate the main image with Riprep. (i.e. I did not prepared
this machines, someone else did...)

The rights were:
USER - The adiministrator from Domain (FULL control)
USER - The adiministrator form Local machine (FULL control)
USER - A specific user from the Domain (FULL control)
Group - Authenticated Users ( R E and somenthing else)

I changend to:
Group - Local Administrators from local computer (FULL)
Group - Authenticated Users (R E and somenthing else)

And then I've reloaded the image into the server using Riprep (the latest
one - the one compatible with XP with SP2).

After that I've download the image in couple of computers and everything is
working fine.

That's all.

I hope this will be helpfull to someone else...

Best regards

Chessa

P.S.: Yes, before I downloaded the images the .sif file was adjusted to my
spec.