Xp Home And E6600 Question.

LRyuuzaki

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
Hi Guys, i have a member of another forum telling me that Windows Xp Home Edition won't run my E6600 or it will but it will only use 1 core.

Is this true? I believe it isn't but he keeps telling me that he is correct.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
He is 100% incorrect. XP Home will support a dual-core CPU. Everyone here will back me up on this.

Here's where your friend's confusion comes from... Windows XP Home (and Professional) pre-date dualcore CPUs... so way back in 2001 when XP first came out, Microsoft made it clear that XP Home would NOT run on a multi-CPU system... in other words, if your computer had 2 CPU sockets on the motherboard, you were going to have to purchase XP Professional. Microsoft still sticks by it's mantra of "1 socket = Home, 2 socket = Professional" but your dual-core CPU sits in one cozy, little socket.

exponent

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
Yup. rodney is 100% correct.

Its the motherboard that mite not support it not the OS!!

You do have a compatable motherboard dont you???

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Also, Microsoft's rule of "1 socket = Home. 2 sockets = Professional" still holds true in the world of quad-core CPUs as well. Unless you're talking about the AMD quad-core setup that takes 2 physical CPUs... that would require Professional.

Just figured I should throw this out there!

LRyuuzaki

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007

Yep, ok thanks for the quick reply guys. An extra guy joined the debate and completely showed him how much of an idiot he was so he's gone pretty quiet now.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005

Yep, ok thanks for the quick reply guys. An extra guy joined the debate and completely showed him how much of an idiot he was so he's gone pretty quiet now.
That's a very common assumption to make... and I must confess than when I got my first dual core CPU (X2-4400) I actually acquired a copy of XP Professional because I did not believe Home would work. Whoops! You live, you learn!

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Guess on the reason why that confusion happens in this type of assumption that people make on XP Home, is perhaps the word processor.

Have to remember, back then when XP 1st came out, we didn't have dual cores, but dual sockets. So multiprocessors may have got confused with 2 physical sockets vs a single CPU with more then one processor. :lol: . o O (almost confused myself)

So that could be the reason why some people would think XP home didn't support multiple processors.