Sign in with
Your question

RAID installation problems with Intel Matrix Storage Manager

Last response: in Storage
March 16, 2007 12:30:56 PM

Hi - been reading the posts with interest - have been very informative.

I'm currently trying to set up a raid array for use on a computer mainly used for audio. My first aim is to have good redundancy and secondly increased performance. That's why i've been looking at the intel matrix program.

My setup:
Abit AB9Pro with Core Duo E6400
Corsair XMS2 2GB RAM
4 x Samsung SP2504C 250GB

I'm wanting to set up a raid across those 4 drives.

My problem:
When I turn on the computer, the Intel Matrix Storage Manager takes about 4 minutes to recognise the setup, then when I press CTRL+I to enter the program, it takes another 2 minutes. Everything seems really slow - is this normal?

When I come to set up the RAID, which takes about 5 minutes, it says that one of the drives isn't a member and that the RAID is degraded.

Does it matter how the drives are formatted and whether there is any data on them previous to setting up the array?

Am I missing something??

Cheers for any assistance!
March 16, 2007 2:03:24 PM

No, the long delays there are not normal. Behavior like this generally indicates a hardware problem.

Check all SATA cables to make sure they're properly connected, check all power connections as well. Make sure all drives are being properly cooled and are not overheating.

Individually check each drive with a hard drive diagnostic tool (SpinRite, Samsung manufacturer's utility, OnTrack Data LifeGuard Tools, etc.) Make sure no individual hard drive is bad.

Once you have eliminated all hardware problems or potential problems, try to set up the RAID array again.
March 16, 2007 2:50:33 PM

Thanks.

The drive that was reported to have a problem I unplugged, but I still get the long delays.

I've now reconnected it, aswell as my Windows OS Drive, to see I've the same drive reporting a SMART event. So I'll check it out with the Samsung utility.

Could it be possible that my PSU isn't powerful enough? I've got an Enermax Liberty 400W. That's currently powering 5 HDD's & DVD (3 HDD on one cable, 2 HDD + DVD on the other) plus of course powering the motherboard and video card. I did a check online on one of those power calculator websites and it seemed 400W was enough.
January 31, 2009 4:34:26 PM

yewhan said:
Thanks.

The drive that was reported to have a problem I unplugged, but I still get the long delays.

I've now reconnected it, aswell as my Windows OS Drive, to see I've the same drive reporting a SMART event. So I'll check it out with the Samsung utility.

Could it be possible that my PSU isn't powerful enough? I've got an Enermax Liberty 400W. That's currently powering 5 HDD's & DVD (3 HDD on one cable, 2 HDD + DVD on the other) plus of course powering the motherboard and video card. I did a check online on one of those power calculator websites and it seemed 400W was enough.

You ever ended up fixing this because I have the same problem.

Regards,

Marc
!