Access Point help

mustangman311

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
Alright, I'm terrible with networking, so I need some help.

I'm running a machine with an AOL connection (not looking for beef, I know), a crappy modem from 2001 they gave us when they installed the service about 8 months ago :)|), and the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector.

The connector acts as an access point for the Nintendo Wii and DS, both of which I have. I'm trying to get online with the Wii, and I'm aware that there have been problems with getting online and AOL. Apparently, the solution is to get online without the software. I've gone to the point of uninstalling all AOL software on my machine, and I've yet to try it with everything gone, though I doubt it will work.

Anyway, I've noticed the connector sets up a connection at the IP of 192.168.1.1. The Wii is able to detect it, but not connect. However, I've noticed that in the past when I've tried to set my machine at that IP (with the connector uninstalled), I can't connect to the internet. Anyone see a problem there?

Please, any help would be fantastic. I've got cash on a debit card that's burning a hole in my pocket, and the Shop Channel is just sitting there... lifeless...

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I'm not a gamer, so help me here with your devices.

Wii is connected to the network how? Does it have a built-in wireless capability?

DS - same question.

The "crappy modem" connects to your PC how? USB? Ethernet? What is its make and model number?

The Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector... is that a separate device, or part of the Wii (or DS)? If it is a separate device, what does it connect to and how (I'd guess the "how" is USB from the name, but...) Does this device have a model number? Do you have a manual for it?

mustangman311

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
I'm not a gamer, so help me here with your devices.

Wii is connected to the network how? Does it have a built-in wireless capability?

DS - same question.

The "crappy modem" connects to your PC how? USB? Ethernet? What is its make and model number?

The Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector... is that a separate device, or part of the Wii (or DS)? If it is a separate device, what does it connect to and how (I'd guess the "how" is USB from the name, but...) Does this device have a model number? Do you have a manual for it?
No need for help now! Surprisingly, I got it working. I completely uninstalled AOL and all software (Except AIM), tweaked the IP settings, re-installed the software a few times, installed a new version, and it connected successfully. It began to update, died on me, and then tried again from the beginning, and updated the system. It's in the process of updating other features of the system right now. Thanks for trying to help, though!

And, for future reference, both the Wii and DS have built-in Wi-Fi features. The USB connector is a piece sold by Nintendo that creates an access point for either one of them for those without wireless routers.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
I completely uninstalled AOL and all software
You just think you did. AOL has to be one of the worst virus I have ever worked with. Do a search for all files including hidden and see all the files it left behind so it can creap back in.

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
You just think you did. AOL has to be one of the worst virus I have ever worked with. Do a search for all files including hidden and see all the files it left behind so it can creap back in.All due respect, but that is BS... wait, we did this already! :wink:

mustangman311

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
You just think you did. AOL has to be one of the worst virus I have ever worked with. Do a search for all files including hidden and see all the files it left behind so it can creap back in.
I know; the AOL icon is still left beside the clock on my toolbar saying 'AOL - Connection Available'.

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Let me say again... not knowing HOW to configure the AOL application to work the way you want it to work does NOT mean it is evil. Only that you are ignorant of how to configure it.

If you install AOL, and tell it you want it to be the master of your internet connections - everything from the app that connects to the network, to running the TCP/IP stack, to the app for your email, to the app for your web page loading, this is installing bits of AOL throughout your system. It is no more a virus than Windows is a virus when you tell it (and its TCP/IP management, Outlook or Outlook Express for email, IE for web page loading, etc) the same thing.

And, it does not "re-install" itself, either. Once installed in the all-encompassing way described above (which was, I would guess, the way you actually WANTED it to work before), simpy using the uninstall programs utility in your Control Panel will not remove all of the connections YOU established when you first installed AOL.

BTW, anyone who makes a living as a computer consultant and deals frequently with customers who have AOL installed should (I would think) invest the time to learn how the application actually works. But, then, maybe it is easier to just declare the application evil and take their money while you try to rip it out of their computers, lecturing them all the while on how stupid they were to use AOL in the first place. :roll: