Active windows border - serious issue

Guys , re the active window going inactive I have been dealing with
Microsoft research division for over a week now as I have the same problem.
It has bought my pc to a halt, no known viruses, eliminated hardware and
interestingly it doesnt happen in safe mode. Affects all windows and goes
inactive after just 2 seconds, effectively preventing u from typing
anything. This is a nightmare, ne1 else who has resolved this I would be
most grateful to hear from u. karen.steve@btinternet.com
thanks Steve xp sp2, norton antivirus, spybot, Lavasoft all have done
nothing to help trace or prevent

"Steve Tucker" <karen.steve@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Guys , re the active window going inactive I have been dealing with
> Microsoft research division for over a week now as I have the same
problem.
> It has bought my pc to a halt, no known viruses, eliminated hardware and
> interestingly it doesnt happen in safe mode. Affects all windows and goes
> inactive after just 2 seconds, effectively preventing u from typing
> anything. This is a nightmare, ne1 else who has resolved this I would be
> most grateful to hear from u. karen.steve@btinternet.com
> thanks Steve xp sp2, norton antivirus, spybot, Lavasoft all have done
> nothing to help trace or prevent

What programs are you loading at startup?

eg Start -> run -> msconfig -> startup tab.

"CWatters" <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> wrote in

> Hi Colin yep, know where u r coming from but microsoft eliminated this
from their enquiries sometime ago, I agree that something is loading, its
just that it isnt listed, question is what ... this is very worrying given
the level of protection i thought i had.I am curious as other postings on
the internet have suggested others have sufferred recent issues of the same
type but no one has documented a solution or cause. If u have this problem
u will suffer greatly, it certainly has microsoft curious too....cheers
Steve

> "CWatters" <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> wrote in
> > Hi Colin yep, know where u r coming from but microsoft eliminated this
> from their enquiries sometime ago, I agree that something is loading, its
> just that it isnt listed, question is what ... this is very worrying given
> the level of protection i thought i had.

System Restore to a point some months ago didn't work?

Any events in the event logs?

Since it only happens in normal mode...Perhaps you can get the task manager
to display a list of processes running in normal and safe mode. Work out
which are only loaded in normal mode and try killing them one by one until
the problem goes away? May take a few reboots if you kill some vital
processes along the way.

Also check out each process against the list here ..
http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

If it's not listed it might (only might) be malware. In which case run a
search using google.

Take care to get the right one if the names contain a "1" or "l" - a lot of
malware uses a name similar to a valid/safe processes.

Colin

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 00:47:12 +0000 (UTC), Steve Tucker wrote:

> Guys , re the active window going inactive I have been dealing with
> Microsoft research division for over a week now as I have the same problem.
> It has bought my pc to a halt, no known viruses, eliminated hardware and
> interestingly it doesnt happen in safe mode. Affects all windows and goes
> inactive after just 2 seconds, effectively preventing u from typing
> anything. This is a nightmare, ne1 else who has resolved this I would be
> most grateful to hear from u. karen.steve@btinternet.com
> thanks Steve xp sp2, norton antivirus, spybot, Lavasoft all have done
> nothing to help trace or prevent

Have you tried using the "prevent applications from stealing focus" setting
in TweakUI for XP yet?

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Sharon F <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in

> On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 00:47:12 +0000 (UTC), Steve Tucker wrote:
>
>> Guys , re the active window going inactive I have been dealing with
>> Microsoft research division for over a week now as I have the same
>> problem. It has bought my pc to a halt, no known viruses, eliminated
>> hardware and interestingly it doesnt happen in safe mode. Affects all
>> windows and goes inactive after just 2 seconds, effectively
>> preventing u from typing anything. This is a nightmare, ne1 else who
>> has resolved this I would be most grateful to hear from u.
>> karen.steve@btinternet.com thanks Steve xp sp2, norton antivirus,
>> spybot, Lavasoft all have done nothing to help trace or prevent
>
> Have you tried using the "prevent applications from stealing focus"
> setting in TweakUI for XP yet?

Guys

Thanks for all your help , the root cause has been traced to the
existance of two files csiivh.pif and csvvyd.pif that were in the
directory of msagent. I believe these may have ben downloaded whilst
adding an actor to msoffice called rover. Both files were deleted in
safe mode and then the registry cleaned of all entries. Worryingly none
of my virus protection detected this when the files were originally
downloaded.

My pc is now healthy !!

ta

Steve

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 08:09:37 +0000 (UTC), Steve Tucker wrote:

> Thanks for all your help , the root cause has been traced to the
> existance of two files csiivh.pif and csvvyd.pif that were in the
> directory of msagent. I believe these may have ben downloaded whilst
> adding an actor to msoffice called rover. Both files were deleted in
> safe mode and then the registry cleaned of all entries. Worryingly none
> of my virus protection detected this when the files were originally
> downloaded.
>
> My pc is now healthy !!

You're welcome and thanks for taking the time to post your resolution.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

How did you get rid of those files? I am having the same problem. I ran
adware filter, a microsoft filter, plus a norton scan and it didn't
clear up the problem. Need help ASAP. Thanks.

--
jedifromlamanch

bill

I have tried about all things that I know of plus all suggested posts on this
topic here. I don't have csivh.pif nor csvvy.pif. While in normal mode
there are 71 processes running in Task Manager. In safe mode there are about
8. Eliminating one at a time and restarting is a long haul. When I'm typing
this I get beeped and the cursor goes to the beginning of the script. I know
some file is interrupting whether I am on the internet or not. I'll keep
reading in this posting but so far no solution. Thank you all.
Bill

"Steve Tucker" wrote:

> Guys , re the active window going inactive I have been dealing with
> Microsoft research division for over a week now as I have the same problem.
> It has bought my pc to a halt, no known viruses, eliminated hardware and
> interestingly it doesnt happen in safe mode. Affects all windows and goes
> inactive after just 2 seconds, effectively preventing u from typing
> anything. This is a nightmare, ne1 else who has resolved this I would be
> most grateful to hear from u. karen.steve@btinternet.com
> thanks Steve xp sp2, norton antivirus, spybot, Lavasoft all have done
> nothing to help trace or prevent

bill

Also I have the following at startUp located in the msconfig file:
APC UPS
Epson Background Monitor
Intervideo WinCinema Manager
Microsoft Office
Sonic CinePlayer Quick Launch
VIA RAID Tool
Is one of these the culprit?
Bill

"bill" <bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have tried about all things that I know of plus all suggested posts on
this
> topic here. I don't have csivh.pif nor csvvy.pif. While in normal mode
> there are 71 processes running in Task Manager.

Sounds like your PC is stuffed full of spyware and adware....it shouldn't be
that many.

On my clean PC the total number of processes is only 48 and it would
probably be more like 40-42 if I wasn't running lots of antivirue/malware
programs.

bill

Hi. I am still searching for the progam that continues to apply itself that
is related to this topic. "active Border.........." I have found:
"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe"-OSboot. and
looks suspisious. Is this what is giving me the interruptions? If I delete
this file where else should I go to get rid of the rest if any?
Bill

> Hi. I am still searching for the progam that continues to apply itself
that
> is related to this topic. "active Border.........." I have found:
> "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe"-OSboot. and

I believe that one is reasonably harmless. I think it's an update scheduler
for the Real One Player.

To get rid of malware (of all types) you may need to run several different
programs. For starters try:

Microsoft Antispyware from

Spybot Search and Destroy from
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/

Spywareblaster from

be careful to get these programs from the sites above ONLY as there are
similar programs out there that are fakes.

You may also need to run Adaware from
However DO NOT try and fix anything using Adaware on your own. It's a
powerful program that can cause problems if you aren't careful. What you
should do is use it to run a scan then post the log file it produces on
their forum with a request for help.

You can also look up the names of suspect processes here to see if they are
known bad..
http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php
For example the one you mention is listed here..
http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php?filter=realsched.exe

Good luck.

Colin

> Spywareblaster from

oops that will theach me to cut and paste...

SpywareBlaster is actually a prevention tool not a repair tool.

Try "HijackThis" from....
but note it's also a tool that needs to be used with care like (eg like
Adaware)

bill

I went through all Task Manager Process on my computer and googled the
Processes one by one. I found through "liutilities.com" that the Process
"winlogon.exe", which is in my computer, is registered as a W32.Netsky.D@mm
worm". I tried to remove it but I get the response: "This is a critical
system process. Task Manager cannot end this process." I should dump this
process shouldn't I? Or is it a system critical process? and if so how do I
bypass the refusal to remove it?
Bill

"CWatters" wrote:

> "CWatters" <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> wrote in message
> >
> > Spywareblaster from
> > http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
>
> oops that will theach me to cut and paste...
>
> SpywareBlaster is actually a prevention tool not a repair tool.
>
> Try "HijackThis" from....
> http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html
> but note it's also a tool that needs to be used with care like (eg like
> Adaware)

bill

I opologize for continuing this thead but I still have not found the
persistent file that keeps interrupting my Windows but maybe this is it. In
Event Viewer there is a file that is listed frequently called BackWeb
Plug-in-9867844. processlibrary.com states this is a security risk and
should be purged. How might I do this if all the anti-"stuff" doesn't detect
it and eliminate it for me automatically? I don't see an uninstall for this
and is probably imbedded in more than one place.
Thank you all. Anybody.
Have you found the answer Steve?
Bill
--
b.l.

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 16:34:02 -0700, bill wrote:

> I opologize for continuing this thead but I still have not found the
> persistent file that keeps interrupting my Windows but maybe this is it. In
> Event Viewer there is a file that is listed frequently called BackWeb
> Plug-in-9867844. processlibrary.com states this is a security risk and
> should be purged. How might I do this if all the anti-"stuff" doesn't detect
> it and eliminate it for me automatically? I don't see an uninstall for this
> and is probably imbedded in more than one place.
> Thank you all. Anybody.
> Have you found the answer Steve?

Backweb is a bit of code that gets used for many different purposes. OEMs
will use it as part of their software that checks their websites for
updates. This is a legitimate use of Backweb but it can still be a
troublesome item to have running all of the time. Most folks will disable
the OEM's auto update features to remove it from their startup.

There are some not so legitimate uses for Backweb as well. Usually
anti-spyware programs will catch these instances for you.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

TRENDING THREADS