A duplicate name has been detected on the TCP network...

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
April 5, 2005 6:29:16 PM

We are getting ready to move about a 1,000 users from an NT domain to an
existing and in use AD domain. When we move computers from the NT domain to
the AD domain, they all get the 'A duplicate name exists on network.' error.

Non of these machines have static WINS mappings. I have removed the dynamic
WINS mapping, I have removed them from server manager. I have even powered
the machine down for three days (Easter weekend) and on the first boot
Monday morning, after first configrming the above items, I get this error
message on each and ever computer I boot up.

I have no problem accessing AD shares, and resources, or the Exchange 5.5
mail server on the NT domain.
running nbtstat -n does NOT return a CONFLICT as expected.

I cannot browse anything outside of the AD domain.
net send etc doesn't work, again, I imagine because the netBT isn't
starting.

Any assistance, faqs, tips, hints, are appreciated. Heck, I'll even read the
FINE manual, if someone would be as nice as to point out which one.... :-)
Thanks for your consideration.

Bruce D. Meyer

Here are the errors in order from event log:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: NetBT
Event Category: None
Event ID: 4319
Date: 4/5/2005
Time: 11:06:27 AM
User: N/A
Computer: CS3592
A duplicate name has been detected on the TCP network. The IP address of
the machine that sent the message is in the data. Use nbtstat -n in a
command window to see which name is in the Conflict state.
Data:
0000: 00 00 04 00 01 00 54 00 ......T.
0008: 00 00 00 00 df 10 00 c0 ....ß..À
0010: 01 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0028: 01 00 02 0a ....

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: MRxSmb
Event Category: None
Event ID: 3032
Date: 4/5/2005
Time: 11:06:27 AM
User: N/A
Computer: CS3592
The redirector was unable to register the domain COLUMBIASC on to transport
NetBT_Tcpip_{3C55F2DF-08D8-4191-B54 for the following reason: . Transport
has been taken offline.
Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 04 00 4e 00 ......N.
0008: 00 00 00 00 d8 0b 00 80 ....Ø..?
0010: 00 00 00 00 bd 00 00 c0 ....½..À
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Application Popup
Event Category: None
Event ID: 26
Date: 4/5/2005
Time: 11:06:27 AM
User: N/A
Computer: CS3592
Application popup: Windows - System Error : A duplicate name exists on the
network.
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 1:53:34 AM

Hi Bruce,

> We are getting ready to move about a 1,000 users from an NT domain to an
> existing and in use AD domain.

You are talking "users" here?

> When we move computers from the NT domain to
> the AD domain, they all get the 'A duplicate name exists on network.' error.

You are now talking "computers"?

Can you be a bit more clear on exactly what you're doing and how you're
doing it?

You say you have a new AD domain which is "in use", are we to assume
this one is working perfectly with the computers/users that are already
in it?

You then say you are going to move computers/users (we don't really know
at this stage) from some other domain (?)

We don't even know the network topology of these domains, if they are on
the same subnet, or if there are trusts between them or anything, and we
don't know what you mean by "move"? Do you mean (unjoin/rejoin) or are
you using a fancy migration tool?

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)
Anonymous

Bruce D. Meyer wrote:

> Ok, Progress:
> Our esteemed network Administrator discovered when joining an XP box to the
> domain, that he got TWO messages, with a slightly different context. This
> being that it was the DOMAIN NAME that was in conflict, not the computer
> name. Slightly different light. We do indeed have the domain name in the NT
> domain WINS static mapping. Not a normal thing to do, but we did it to
> resolve a name resolution issue between the two domains. So, we are
> rethinking that process now. WINS, or not to WINS for the meantime on the AD
> domain, and perhaps replication between the two domains of WINS.

OK, that's a different problem then. Strangely, when our own network was
being switched over I asked exactly this question (NetBIOS vs AD domain
names) and the whole room went quiet. No one knew what I was talking
about). I didn't find mention of this is the tech docs I was reading at
the time, but when we actually switched to AD, the domain names in
network properties somehow "changed themselves" a few days later?? We
didn't unjoin and rejoin, we just upgraded the DCs and created a new
internal AD name. I've never understood this part of the process.

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)
!