making pocket pc a usb host device

June 12, 2005 12:26:46 PM

Just thought I'd mention this for the benefit of this NG.
I wanted to be able to take my Dell Axim x50v on vacation with me and watch
films by the pool!

I didnt want to take my laptop(to store the films) as well so I found a
solution with the Ratoc CF USB host device. I had a few problems at first
and I'm sure I'm not out of the woods yet.
ATM I'm copying an avi file of about 650meg from my Archos MP3 player which
is seen in file explorer as a hard disk. Its very slow, I'd be surprised if
it took less than a hour, but I dont care.
hope this may be of interest

Laurence
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 6:41:11 PM

A few PocketPC's have built in USB-Host. I watch movies on mine via a 2.5''
USB external HDD (PD70X Compact Drive) using Betalayer. You can always
purchase a 6GB CF card to use for movies if you do not want to take your
Archos with you of course. Software of interest in this case is Card Export
because if you have a 6GB CF card (or any mem card), you can use your
PocketPC as a standard Mass storage device.

"Laurence" <ltrister@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Just thought I'd mention this for the benefit of this NG.
> I wanted to be able to take my Dell Axim x50v on vacation with me and
> watch films by the pool!
>
> I didnt want to take my laptop(to store the films) as well so I found a
> solution with the Ratoc CF USB host device. I had a few problems at first
> and I'm sure I'm not out of the woods yet.
> ATM I'm copying an avi file of about 650meg from my Archos MP3 player
> which is seen in file explorer as a hard disk. Its very slow, I'd be
> surprised if it took less than a hour, but I dont care.
> hope this may be of interest
>
> Laurence

Anonymous
June 18, 2005 12:58:40 PM

I cant seem to find much on Betalayer in English. What is it?
"yleas" <yleas@usnet.com> wrote in message
>A few PocketPC's have built in USB-Host. I watch movies on mine via a 2.5''
>USB external HDD (PD70X Compact Drive) using Betalayer. You can always
>purchase a 6GB CF card to use for movies if you do not want to take your
>Archos with you of course. Software of interest in this case is Card Export
>because if you have a 6GB CF card (or any mem card), you can use your
>PocketPC as a standard Mass storage device.
>
> "Laurence" <ltrister@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Just thought I'd mention this for the benefit of this NG.
>> I wanted to be able to take my Dell Axim x50v on vacation with me and
>> watch films by the pool!
>>
>> I didnt want to take my laptop(to store the films) as well so I found a
>> solution with the Ratoc CF USB host device. I had a few problems at first
>> and I'm sure I'm not out of the woods yet.
>> ATM I'm copying an avi file of about 650meg from my Archos MP3 player
>> which is seen in file explorer as a hard disk. Its very slow, I'd be
>> surprised if it took less than a hour, but I dont care.
>> hope this may be of interest
>>
>> Laurence

June 18, 2005 4:58:20 PM

Betaplayer is a freeware Pocketpc movie/music player. It can handle (AVI,
DivX), MPEG4 files (MP4, M4A), MPEG movie and audio files (MPEG, MPG, MPV,
DAT, MP1, MP2, MP3, MPA), Matroska files (MKV, MKA), Ogg Vorbis files (OGG,
OGM), AAC files (AAC) and supports third party plugins too.
It has more options than many PC movie players and is great. I use it
because when playing movies from my Hard Disk, I can set it to buffer as
much or as little data as I require which vastly extends battery life inside
of my PD70X device.

>I cant seem to find much on Betalayer in English. What is it?
> "yleas" <yleas@usnet.com> wrote in message
>>A few PocketPC's have built in USB-Host. I watch movies on mine via a
>>2.5'' USB external HDD (PD70X Compact Drive) using Betalayer. You can
>>always purchase a 6GB CF card to use for movies if you do not want to take
>>your Archos with you of course. Software of interest in this case is Card
>>Export because if you have a 6GB CF card (or any mem card), you can use
>>your PocketPC as a standard Mass storage device.
>>
>> "Laurence" <ltrister@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Just thought I'd mention this for the benefit of this NG.
>>> I wanted to be able to take my Dell Axim x50v on vacation with me and
>>> watch films by the pool!
>>>
>>> I didnt want to take my laptop(to store the films) as well so I found a
>>> solution with the Ratoc CF USB host device. I had a few problems at
>>> first and I'm sure I'm not out of the woods yet.
>>> ATM I'm copying an avi file of about 650meg from my Archos MP3 player
>>> which is seen in file explorer as a hard disk. Its very slow, I'd be
>>> surprised if it took less than a hour, but I dont care.
>>> hope this may be of interest
>>>
>>> Laurence

Anonymous
August 3, 2005 6:46:46 PM

How are you finding the ratoc?... I've been tempted but nobody has ever had much nice things to say about it

August 4, 2005 2:46:58 AM

In article <653056@www.modaco.com&gt;, psionandy <psionandy-at-gmail-dot-
com.no-spam> says...
> How are you finding the ratoc?... I've been tempted but nobody has ever had much nice things to say about it

There is an alternative which I am finding very useful. Card Export,
http://www.softick.com/cardexport/, enables you to connect your PPC to
any Win XP/ME PC via USB so that your expansion cards (SD, CF whatever)
appear as drives in My Computer on your (or anyone else's) desktop PC.
This makes file transfer and/or fiddling with your Pocket PC cards much
simpler. It's a very small download and you can try before you buy.

It works fine with Dell Axim X50v by the way.

__
Jim
!