/ Sign-up
Your question

wireless bridge to ethernet

  • Configuration
  • Wireless
  • Connection
  • Ethernet Card
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
December 30, 2006 4:38:24 PM

I have a bunch of computers in one room that I need to connect to the internet, but don't want to make the expense of buying a wireless card for all of them. Do you guys know of any good wireless to ethernet bridges for this? Or could I just get a wireless card for one of them and then bridge the connection in the computer and connect to an ethernet switch? Which is the better option?

More about : wireless bridge ethernet

December 30, 2006 5:07:51 PM

Many home-market wireless routers can be configured into a bridge mode (which basically means they will recognize and attach to an infrastructure device and not a client device). Do a little bit of user-manual searching, but I would start with the top brand names (D-Link, Linksys, etc.)

Also, the wireless infractructure device on the other end needs to be a bridge (or put into bridge mode) in order to recognize and connect with your new bridge.
January 1, 2007 5:52:41 PM

Depending on the number of pc it would be cheaper buying cards. One you setup a bridge to bridge device, you will need a AP for your wired clients. Or use a ICS from one with a wireless connection.