about RIS

Hi when I try to upload an image from a windows xp workstation to a windows
2003 server (also RIS server) I keep on getting the message "The RIS server
to which you are attempting to post this installation does not contain the
correct cd-based image. the version of the cd-based image on the server must
match the version of the system you are attempting to image [version 5.1
build 2600, language English]. Please either select a different RIS server to
post this installation to or add the corresponding cd-based image to the
current RIS server" What should I do? Can you help? Thanks, Stefano
7 answers Last reply
More about about

    Do you actually have a matching (same version/SP) RISetup image on
    the server?

    4/14/2005 12:55:01 PM
    Stefano <Stefano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    <7A6597B1-5713-4CC5-AA40-D2D028D04B2D@microsoft.com>

    > Hi when I try to upload an image from a windows xp workstation to a
    windows
    > 2003 server (also RIS server) I keep on getting the message "The
    RIS server
    > to which you are attempting to post this installation does not
    contain the
    > correct cd-based image. the version of the cd-based image on the
    server must
    > match the version of the system you are attempting to image
    [version 5.1
    > build 2600, language English]. Please either select a different RIS
    server to
    > post this installation to or add the corresponding cd-based image
    to the
    > current RIS server" What should I do? Can you help? Thanks, Stefano

    I don't know how to answer your question WM. However, I have a windows 2003
    server machine that is a domain controller and a RIS. And I have a windows XP
    machine which is a domain client and is also the one that I'm using to run
    "riprep.exe" with. But when I do that I receive the error message that I
    previously mentioned.

    "WM" wrote:

    > Do you actually have a matching (same version/SP) RISetup image on
    > the server?
    >
    > 4/14/2005 12:55:01 PM
    > Stefano <Stefano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > <7A6597B1-5713-4CC5-AA40-D2D028D04B2D@microsoft.com>
    >
    > > Hi when I try to upload an image from a windows xp workstation to a
    > windows
    > > 2003 server (also RIS server) I keep on getting the message "The
    > RIS server
    > > to which you are attempting to post this installation does not
    > contain the
    > > correct cd-based image. the version of the cd-based image on the
    > server must
    > > match the version of the system you are attempting to image
    > [version 5.1
    > > build 2600, language English]. Please either select a different RIS
    > server to
    > > post this installation to or add the corresponding cd-based image
    > to the
    > > current RIS server" What should I do? Can you help? Thanks, Stefano

    When you installed RIS on the server, you had to provide a Windows
    2000, XP, or 2003 CD. What version was it? You must run RISetup on
    the RIS server and provide the CD for the same version of Windows
    (product, language, and service pack) as what is on the system you
    are running RIPrep on. Even then YMMV, as some hotfixes will taint
    what RIS looks for to compare, and may still not work.
    Basically, every RIPrep image (think like a Sysprep image) you put up
    on the RIS server must have a matching RISetup (effectively a
    specially tweaked CD layout) image.
    That help at all?

    4/15/2005 11:32:02 AM
    Stefano <Stefano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    <08666A92-4EBB-4191-9441-CC64DF9DC5E4@microsoft.com>

    > I don't know how to answer your question WM. However, I have a
    windows 2003
    > server machine that is a domain controller and a RIS. And I have a
    windows XP
    > machine which is a domain client and is also the one that I'm using
    to run
    > "riprep.exe" with. But when I do that I receive the error message
    that I
    > previously mentioned.
    >
    > "WM" wrote:
    >
    > > Do you actually have a matching (same version/SP) RISetup image
    on
    > > the server?
    > >
    > > 4/14/2005 12:55:01 PM
    > > Stefano <Stefano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > <7A6597B1-5713-4CC5-AA40-D2D028D04B2D@microsoft.com>
    > >
    > > > Hi when I try to upload an image from a windows xp workstation
    to a
    > > windows
    > > > 2003 server (also RIS server) I keep on getting the message
    "The
    > > RIS server
    > > > to which you are attempting to post this installation does not
    > > contain the
    > > > correct cd-based image. the version of the cd-based image on
    the
    > > server must
    > > > match the version of the system you are attempting to image
    > > [version 5.1
    > > > build 2600, language English]. Please either select a different
    RIS
    > > server to
    > > > post this installation to or add the corresponding cd-based
    image
    > > to the
    > > > current RIS server" What should I do? Can you help? Thanks,
    Stefano

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    I did provide the cd like you said and it's the right version and all of that
    but still does not work? What should I do?

    "WM" wrote:

    > When you installed RIS on the server, you had to provide a Windows
    > 2000, XP, or 2003 CD. What version was it? You must run RISetup on
    > the RIS server and provide the CD for the same version of Windows
    > (product, language, and service pack) as what is on the system you
    > are running RIPrep on. Even then YMMV, as some hotfixes will taint
    > what RIS looks for to compare, and may still not work.
    > Basically, every RIPrep image (think like a Sysprep image) you put up
    > on the RIS server must have a matching RISetup (effectively a
    > specially tweaked CD layout) image.
    > That help at all?
    >
    > 4/15/2005 11:32:02 AM
    > Stefano <Stefano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > <08666A92-4EBB-4191-9441-CC64DF9DC5E4@microsoft.com>
    >
    > > I don't know how to answer your question WM. However, I have a
    > windows 2003
    > > server machine that is a domain controller and a RIS. And I have a
    > windows XP
    > > machine which is a domain client and is also the one that I'm using
    > to run
    > > "riprep.exe" with. But when I do that I receive the error message
    > that I
    > > previously mentioned.
    > >
    > > "WM" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Do you actually have a matching (same version/SP) RISetup image
    > on
    > > > the server?
    > > >
    > > > 4/14/2005 12:55:01 PM
    > > > Stefano <Stefano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > <7A6597B1-5713-4CC5-AA40-D2D028D04B2D@microsoft.com>

    > to a
    > > > windows
    > "The
    > > > RIS server
    > > > contain the
    > the
    > > > server must
    > > > [version 5.1
    > RIS
    > > > server to
    > image
    > > > to the
    > Stefano

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    I had a problem like this with an XP RIS last week. Come to find out some of
    the hot fixes that I preinstalled were messing up the NTOSKRNL.exe which is
    what Riprep uses to compare your image to the CD. I ended up holding off on
    the hotfixes and will push them down via SUS. Hope this helps!!!

    BTW, you could do a quick check on your image's NTOSKRNL.exe verion versus
    what you have on your CD image.

    "Stefano" wrote:

    > I did provide the cd like you said and it's the right version and all of that
    > but still does not work? What should I do?
    >
    > "WM" wrote:
    >
    > > When you installed RIS on the server, you had to provide a Windows
    > > 2000, XP, or 2003 CD. What version was it? You must run RISetup on
    > > the RIS server and provide the CD for the same version of Windows
    > > (product, language, and service pack) as what is on the system you
    > > are running RIPrep on. Even then YMMV, as some hotfixes will taint
    > > what RIS looks for to compare, and may still not work.
    > > Basically, every RIPrep image (think like a Sysprep image) you put up
    > > on the RIS server must have a matching RISetup (effectively a
    > > specially tweaked CD layout) image.
    > > That help at all?
    > >
    > > 4/15/2005 11:32:02 AM
    > > Stefano <Stefano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > <08666A92-4EBB-4191-9441-CC64DF9DC5E4@microsoft.com>
    > >
    > > > I don't know how to answer your question WM. However, I have a
    > > windows 2003
    > > > server machine that is a domain controller and a RIS. And I have a
    > > windows XP
    > > > machine which is a domain client and is also the one that I'm using
    > > to run
    > > > "riprep.exe" with. But when I do that I receive the error message
    > > that I
    > > > previously mentioned.

    > > on

    > > to a
    > > "The
    > > the
    > > RIS
    > > image
    > > Stefano

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Thanks!

    "Ryan C." wrote:

    > I had a problem like this with an XP RIS last week. Come to find out some of
    > the hot fixes that I preinstalled were messing up the NTOSKRNL.exe which is
    > what Riprep uses to compare your image to the CD. I ended up holding off on
    > the hotfixes and will push them down via SUS. Hope this helps!!!
    >
    > BTW, you could do a quick check on your image's NTOSKRNL.exe verion versus
    > what you have on your CD image.
    >
    > "Stefano" wrote:
    >
    > > I did provide the cd like you said and it's the right version and all of that
    > > but still does not work? What should I do?
    > >
    > > "WM" wrote:
    > >
    > > > When you installed RIS on the server, you had to provide a Windows
    > > > 2000, XP, or 2003 CD. What version was it? You must run RISetup on
    > > > the RIS server and provide the CD for the same version of Windows
    > > > (product, language, and service pack) as what is on the system you
    > > > are running RIPrep on. Even then YMMV, as some hotfixes will taint
    > > > what RIS looks for to compare, and may still not work.
    > > > Basically, every RIPrep image (think like a Sysprep image) you put up
    > > > on the RIS server must have a matching RISetup (effectively a
    > > > specially tweaked CD layout) image.
    > > > That help at all?
    > > >
    > > > 4/15/2005 11:32:02 AM
    > > > Stefano <Stefano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > <08666A92-4EBB-4191-9441-CC64DF9DC5E4@microsoft.com>

    > > > windows 2003
    > > > windows XP
    > > > to run
    > > > that I

    > > > on

    > > > to a
    > > > "The
    > > > the
    > > > RIS
    > > > image
    > > > Stefano

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    You need a flat CD-ROM image on the server that matches the OS you are
    trying to RIPREP from the workstation. And the flat CD image has to match
    the SP level of the Riprep image. If you are trying to Riprep a WinXP RTM
    image, you will need a WinXP RTM flat image on the server. If you are trying
    to Riprep a WinXP SP1 image, you will need a WinXP SP1 flat image on the
    server. If you are trying to Riprep a WinXP SP2 image, you will need a WinXP
    SP2 flat image on the server. etc.

    Nick

    > Hi when I try to upload an image from a windows xp workstation to a
    > windows
    > 2003 server (also RIS server) I keep on getting the message "The RIS
    > server
    > to which you are attempting to post this installation does not contain the
    > correct cd-based image. the version of the cd-based image on the server
    > must
    > match the version of the system you are attempting to image [version 5.1
    > build 2600, language English]. Please either select a different RIS server
    > post this installation to or add the corresponding cd-based image to the
    > current RIS server" What should I do? Can you help? Thanks, Stefano

CD-Rom Servers Windows