about RIS

Hi when I try to upload an image from a windows xp workstation to a windows
2003 server (also RIS server) I keep on getting the message "The RIS server
to which you are attempting to post this installation does not contain the
correct cd-based image. the version of the cd-based image on the server must
match the version of the system you are attempting to image [version 5.1
build 2600, language English]. Please either select a different RIS server to
post this installation to or add the corresponding cd-based image to the
current RIS server" What should I do? Can you help? Thanks, Stefano

Do you actually have a matching (same version/SP) RISetup image on
the server?

4/14/2005 12:55:01 PM
Stefano <Stefano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
<7A6597B1-5713-4CC5-AA40-D2D028D04B2D@microsoft.com>

> Hi when I try to upload an image from a windows xp workstation to a
windows
> 2003 server (also RIS server) I keep on getting the message "The
RIS server
> to which you are attempting to post this installation does not
contain the
> correct cd-based image. the version of the cd-based image on the
server must
> match the version of the system you are attempting to image
[version 5.1
> build 2600, language English]. Please either select a different RIS
server to
> post this installation to or add the corresponding cd-based image
to the
> current RIS server" What should I do? Can you help? Thanks, Stefano

I don't know how to answer your question WM. However, I have a windows 2003
server machine that is a domain controller and a RIS. And I have a windows XP
machine which is a domain client and is also the one that I'm using to run
"riprep.exe" with. But when I do that I receive the error message that I
previously mentioned.

"WM" wrote:

> Do you actually have a matching (same version/SP) RISetup image on
> the server?
>
> 4/14/2005 12:55:01 PM
> Stefano <Stefano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> <7A6597B1-5713-4CC5-AA40-D2D028D04B2D@microsoft.com>
>
> > Hi when I try to upload an image from a windows xp workstation to a
> windows
> > 2003 server (also RIS server) I keep on getting the message "The
> RIS server
> > to which you are attempting to post this installation does not
> contain the
> > correct cd-based image. the version of the cd-based image on the
> server must
> > match the version of the system you are attempting to image
> [version 5.1
> > build 2600, language English]. Please either select a different RIS
> server to
> > post this installation to or add the corresponding cd-based image
> to the
> > current RIS server" What should I do? Can you help? Thanks, Stefano

When you installed RIS on the server, you had to provide a Windows
2000, XP, or 2003 CD. What version was it? You must run RISetup on
the RIS server and provide the CD for the same version of Windows
(product, language, and service pack) as what is on the system you
are running RIPrep on. Even then YMMV, as some hotfixes will taint
what RIS looks for to compare, and may still not work.
Basically, every RIPrep image (think like a Sysprep image) you put up
on the RIS server must have a matching RISetup (effectively a
specially tweaked CD layout) image.
That help at all?

4/15/2005 11:32:02 AM
Stefano <Stefano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
<08666A92-4EBB-4191-9441-CC64DF9DC5E4@microsoft.com>

> I don't know how to answer your question WM. However, I have a
windows 2003
> server machine that is a domain controller and a RIS. And I have a
windows XP
> machine which is a domain client and is also the one that I'm using
to run
> "riprep.exe" with. But when I do that I receive the error message
that I
> previously mentioned.
>
> "WM" wrote:
>
> > Do you actually have a matching (same version/SP) RISetup image
on
> > the server?
> >
> > 4/14/2005 12:55:01 PM
> > Stefano <Stefano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > <7A6597B1-5713-4CC5-AA40-D2D028D04B2D@microsoft.com>
> >
> > > Hi when I try to upload an image from a windows xp workstation
to a
> > windows
> > > 2003 server (also RIS server) I keep on getting the message
"The
> > RIS server
> > > to which you are attempting to post this installation does not
> > contain the
> > > correct cd-based image. the version of the cd-based image on
the
> > server must
> > > match the version of the system you are attempting to image
> > [version 5.1
> > > build 2600, language English]. Please either select a different
RIS
> > server to
> > > post this installation to or add the corresponding cd-based
image
> > to the
> > > current RIS server" What should I do? Can you help? Thanks,
Stefano

I did provide the cd like you said and it's the right version and all of that
but still does not work? What should I do?

"WM" wrote:

> When you installed RIS on the server, you had to provide a Windows
> 2000, XP, or 2003 CD. What version was it? You must run RISetup on
> the RIS server and provide the CD for the same version of Windows
> (product, language, and service pack) as what is on the system you
> are running RIPrep on. Even then YMMV, as some hotfixes will taint
> what RIS looks for to compare, and may still not work.
> Basically, every RIPrep image (think like a Sysprep image) you put up
> on the RIS server must have a matching RISetup (effectively a
> specially tweaked CD layout) image.
> That help at all?
>
> 4/15/2005 11:32:02 AM
> Stefano <Stefano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> <08666A92-4EBB-4191-9441-CC64DF9DC5E4@microsoft.com>
>
> > I don't know how to answer your question WM. However, I have a
> windows 2003
> > server machine that is a domain controller and a RIS. And I have a
> windows XP
> > machine which is a domain client and is also the one that I'm using
> to run
> > "riprep.exe" with. But when I do that I receive the error message
> that I
> > previously mentioned.
> >
> > "WM" wrote:
> >
> > > Do you actually have a matching (same version/SP) RISetup image
> on
> > > the server?
> > >
> > > 4/14/2005 12:55:01 PM
> > > Stefano <Stefano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > <7A6597B1-5713-4CC5-AA40-D2D028D04B2D@microsoft.com>

> to a
> > > windows
> "The
> > > RIS server
> > > contain the
> the
> > > server must
> > > [version 5.1
> RIS
> > > server to
> image
> > > to the
> Stefano

I had a problem like this with an XP RIS last week. Come to find out some of
the hot fixes that I preinstalled were messing up the NTOSKRNL.exe which is
what Riprep uses to compare your image to the CD. I ended up holding off on
the hotfixes and will push them down via SUS. Hope this helps!!!

BTW, you could do a quick check on your image's NTOSKRNL.exe verion versus
what you have on your CD image.

"Stefano" wrote:

> I did provide the cd like you said and it's the right version and all of that
> but still does not work? What should I do?
>
> "WM" wrote:
>
> > When you installed RIS on the server, you had to provide a Windows
> > 2000, XP, or 2003 CD. What version was it? You must run RISetup on
> > the RIS server and provide the CD for the same version of Windows
> > (product, language, and service pack) as what is on the system you
> > are running RIPrep on. Even then YMMV, as some hotfixes will taint
> > what RIS looks for to compare, and may still not work.
> > Basically, every RIPrep image (think like a Sysprep image) you put up
> > on the RIS server must have a matching RISetup (effectively a
> > specially tweaked CD layout) image.
> > That help at all?
> >
> > 4/15/2005 11:32:02 AM
> > Stefano <Stefano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > <08666A92-4EBB-4191-9441-CC64DF9DC5E4@microsoft.com>
> >
> > > I don't know how to answer your question WM. However, I have a
> > windows 2003
> > > server machine that is a domain controller and a RIS. And I have a
> > windows XP
> > > machine which is a domain client and is also the one that I'm using
> > to run
> > > "riprep.exe" with. But when I do that I receive the error message
> > that I
> > > previously mentioned.

> > on

> > to a
> > "The
> > the
> > RIS
> > image
> > Stefano

Thanks!

"Ryan C." wrote:

> I had a problem like this with an XP RIS last week. Come to find out some of
> the hot fixes that I preinstalled were messing up the NTOSKRNL.exe which is
> what Riprep uses to compare your image to the CD. I ended up holding off on
> the hotfixes and will push them down via SUS. Hope this helps!!!
>
> BTW, you could do a quick check on your image's NTOSKRNL.exe verion versus
> what you have on your CD image.
>
> "Stefano" wrote:
>
> > I did provide the cd like you said and it's the right version and all of that
> > but still does not work? What should I do?
> >
> > "WM" wrote:
> >
> > > When you installed RIS on the server, you had to provide a Windows
> > > 2000, XP, or 2003 CD. What version was it? You must run RISetup on
> > > the RIS server and provide the CD for the same version of Windows
> > > (product, language, and service pack) as what is on the system you
> > > are running RIPrep on. Even then YMMV, as some hotfixes will taint
> > > what RIS looks for to compare, and may still not work.
> > > Basically, every RIPrep image (think like a Sysprep image) you put up
> > > on the RIS server must have a matching RISetup (effectively a
> > > specially tweaked CD layout) image.
> > > That help at all?
> > >
> > > 4/15/2005 11:32:02 AM
> > > Stefano <Stefano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > <08666A92-4EBB-4191-9441-CC64DF9DC5E4@microsoft.com>

> > > windows 2003
> > > windows XP
> > > to run
> > > that I

> > > on

> > > to a
> > > "The
> > > the
> > > RIS
> > > image
> > > Stefano

You need a flat CD-ROM image on the server that matches the OS you are
trying to RIPREP from the workstation. And the flat CD image has to match
the SP level of the Riprep image. If you are trying to Riprep a WinXP RTM
image, you will need a WinXP RTM flat image on the server. If you are trying
to Riprep a WinXP SP1 image, you will need a WinXP SP1 flat image on the
server. If you are trying to Riprep a WinXP SP2 image, you will need a WinXP
SP2 flat image on the server. etc.

Nick