CM Stacker 832 Fan Layout.

LRyuuzaki

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
Ok i have a question to all you people out there who know how to effectively cool a system on just air.

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/6386/79ef11525c6af9c88429bcbtj1.jpg

The following link is a picture of the case that i have and i'd just like to know which fans should i put as intake fans and which as exhaust fans?

A friend of mine has told me to do it like this.... (using 120mm fans)

Fans 1,2,5 and 7 as exhaust fans.
Fans 3,4 and 6 as intake fans.

I have provided you with my specs, the heatsink will also have a 120mm fan and being a complete newcomer to non-stock heatsinks could you tell me if the 120mm fan put onto the heatsink should be blowing air onto or off the heatsink.

I hope you can help me, thanks for your time, L.

My Specs Are;

Mobo : MSI P6N Diamond
CPU : C2D E6600
Heatsink : Thermalright Ultra 120
GPU : 2x EVGA 8800GTX ACS3
HD : 500GB Seagate 7200.10
PSU : Thermaltake Toughpower 850w
RAM : Corsair Dominator DDR2-800 (Twin2X2048-6400C4D)
Case : CM Stacker 832 (Already Bought)
Monitor : Dell 3007WFP-HC* 30" (Already Bought)

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
I just bought the same case and was wondering about optimal fan placement. I agree with what you posted except that I would think that since hot air rises the two bottom side panel fans should be intake and the two top should be outlet. I'm not sure though as the top left fan will be above the HSF.

LRyuuzaki

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
Sup AU, Yea i seem to be getting minimal feedback on the matter through quite a few forums.

I've been told that fan 1 may be unusable because of my large heatsink So it may be that the lower are intake and higher are exhaust.

If you have MSN feel free to PM me your addy through the forums and i'll talk to you on there.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Don't have MSN.

I have always herd conflicting views on positive vs. negative case pressure I would imagine it depends on the case design. Considering the fact that that case has an odd number of fan sites your going to end up with one or the other.

Using one more fan as an outlet will create a slight vacuum which will increase the efficiency of the intake fans and pull more cool air into your system.

Contrary using an extra fan as inlet will increase internal pressure and since that case is essentially a big screen that pressure will escape where ever it can. postive pressure will also reduce the amount of dust in your system.

Also with that case depending upon your choice of HSF you might not be able to use the top left fan on the side panel.

I think the optimal configuration would be front-in, back-out, top-out, both side bottom-in, and side top right-out but you might want to change that one to blow some air on your ram. I think it's just going to be a case of trial and error to figure out which is the best config.

The_Interloper

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
Even though I watercool now, I still strive for optimal fan configurations to minimize noise. I'm positive that an incorrect fan configuration will minimize effectiveness. Start off by not having the side panel fans running, then play around with different setups. Every case may respond different to various setups. You'll have to do a little trial an error.

telim

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
IMHO, the 4 "side" fans should all be intake, suck in as much cold air as possible across your components.

The PSU fan will be intake as well, giving you plenty of intake.

Now to clear that hot air inside your case, have the back, top and front fans all exhaust.

This way you'll have hot internal air leaving your case from 3 locations (directions) and all the cold air coming in across your crucial components.

Alternatively you may want the front fan to be INTAKE rather then exhaust to setup a crossflow from front-to-back(and top) as much as possible.

This should also help cut down on noise (front fan exhaust = noisey) and you don't really want hot air blowing out the front onto your legs.

-tel

MaxLatG

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2007
My config:
1 120 mm intake in the bottom front using the supplied air duct (3 bays)
1 120 mm intake cooling my 2 Raptors & 2 Cavier's (3 bays)
2 120 mm intakes on the bottom of my swing out fan bracket blowing on my GTX8800
1 120 mm exhaust rear
1 120 exhaust top

If it didn't have so many grills, I would of kept the intake/exhaust ratio the same, but there is plenty of places for the hot air to excape. With this config, there isn't a single component that hits 85*

proof

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
My config:
1 120 mm intake in the bottom front using the supplied air duct (3 bays)
1 120 mm intake cooling my 2 Raptors & 2 Cavier's (3 bays)
2 120 mm intakes on the bottom of my swing out fan bracket blowing on my GTX8800
1 120 mm exhaust rear
1 120 exhaust top

If it didn't have so many grills, I would of kept the intake/exhaust ratio the same, but there is plenty of places for the hot air to excape. With this config, there isn't a single component that hits 85*

The amount of exhaust fans should always be higher than the intake fans. (Save the CM Stacker). This creates a slight negative pressure in the case and moves the air more efficently and quickly.

Tamorlane

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2007
but...

Running 2,3,4 as intake (not using 1 since it negatively affects the airflow for the cpu cooler).

5,7 output. MB idle at 34c. Have dual 7950GX2's so 2 & 3 help them a lot.

CORRECTION: MB Idle at 28c, CPU Idle @ 34c

Running E6700 stock.

Tamorlane

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2007
Thank you. I love the 832 for builds. It's, umm, rather roomy.

The best thing I ever did with the 832's was to get a sheet of washable air filter from Home Depot, cut it into shape and fit it inside the side bezel grills (the grill frame is flexible enough to 'stuff' the filter material in). Eliminated dust draw from the side fan array and dropped noise on the whole unit by 8db. Everest Ultimate actually reported an overall temp decrease of 1-2c across the MB, CPU, Cores, and GPU's. Used cheap Zalman FM3 fans all the way around, with the 'silent' adapters in the fan cage.

zenikal

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
I had this since 2009, i tested it too much, my setup is as follows:

-1 x Front top intake (silenteagle 2000)
-1 x Front bot intake (modded silenteagle 2000)

-1 x Side top right intake (Scythe Gentle Typhoon 5400rpm)
-1 x Side bot left ext (Scythe Gentle Typhoon 5400rpm)

-1 x Rear ext (silenteagle 2000)

-1 x Top ext (noctua 800rpm)

This is the best setup for my build:

29º-59º: i7 975ee @ 4,4Ghz with noctua u12p SE and 1 x Ultra kaze 3000, 1 x noctua default

35º-44º: P6T deluxe OC Palm

43º-74º: GTX 295 QuadSli

There isnt better setup, believe me, the only change that u can do, is to put Side Bot Left for intake air, i have it ext coz i gtx 295 ext air from side.