printing/login scripts

Hello,

I've got an issue in that the user login script we use to install our
printers is inadequate as users keep changing locations....

we have a group called x and the user works there 2 days a week then moves
to a different area.

We need to install printers based on the computers location...not the users
group membership.

Has anyone come across this problem?

Could you run a script that installs printers at the OU level...and
therefore we could place computers in the specific OU?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

Just thinking out loud, but could you create groups for your computers per
location and create the login script based on the hostname and its group
membership?

"Dan Collins" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've got an issue in that the user login script we use to install our
> printers is inadequate as users keep changing locations....
>
> we have a group called x and the user works there 2 days a week then moves
> to a different area.
>
> We need to install printers based on the computers location...not the users
> group membership.
>
> Has anyone come across this problem?
>
> Could you run a script that installs printers at the OU level...and
> therefore we could place computers in the specific OU?
>
> Any thoughts would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dan

You mean a user login script, that checks the group or OU membership before
running the script that installs the printer?

Hmm.....I can see that working in theory...would you know if you can define
the computer you are logging in from as a variable with vbs?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Dan.

"Ryan C." wrote:

> Just thinking out loud, but could you create groups for your computers per
> location and create the login script based on the hostname and its group
> membership?
>
> "Dan Collins" wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've got an issue in that the user login script we use to install our
> > printers is inadequate as users keep changing locations....
> >
> > we have a group called x and the user works there 2 days a week then moves
> > to a different area.
> >
> > We need to install printers based on the computers location...not the users
> > group membership.
> >
> > Has anyone come across this problem?
> >
> > Could you run a script that installs printers at the OU level...and
> > therefore we could place computers in the specific OU?
> >
> > Any thoughts would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Dan

Create an OU, place your computer accounts in that OU and assign a COMPUTER
startup script, not a USER logon script. This will apply to only the
computers that the respective OU, so create as many OU's as you have
locations, and assign a COMPUTER startup script for the respective OU that
mapps to the correct printer!