workstation build - asus p5w64 ws pro

stouffa

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
hey, new to the forums but not to toms hardware site and would really like some help. i decided to build a pc for design work rather than go out and buy some overpriced alienware pc. i have built a few pcs in the last five years or so but am currently having some problems.

the problem - i have not been able to get the motherboard to post, i mean the led lights up with no warning beeps and everything powers up okay but i get no display, i have tried 2 different graphics cards and different slots but no luck.

i have tried everything i can think of but with no luck at all, i think the problem maybe something to with the power supply as it's a 20 pin and although this is supposed to be compatible im not sure which other power leads i need to connect.

specs:- asus p5w64 ws pro,
Intel Core 2 Quadro Extreme Edition QX6700 "LGA775 Kentsfield" 2.66GHz (1066FSB),
OCZ 4GB (4 x 1GB) PC2-8500 1066MHz SLI-Ready Edition Dual Channel DDR2,
OCZ GameXStream 700w Silent SLI Ready ATX2 ,
quadro fx 5500 graphics card, also tried quadro fx 1300

thats about all regarding relevant hardware, i been without a computer for ages now so i'd be really grateful for any help

Mondoman

Splendid
Your power supply is not a 20-pin, it's a 20+4 pin (that clips together to make the 24 pin), along with 2 more 4 pin connectors (different than the first), which clip together to make the 8-pin connector.
Make sure the full 24-pin is plugged in, and the full 8-pin is plugged in.
Make sure the 6-pin connector is plugged into your graphics card as needed.

Also, you mentioned you had tried different combos of the 4-pin connectors. They are keyed so they will only (easily) fit in the correct connector in the correct orientation. Did you force the 4-pin cable from the 20+4 into the 4-pin connector of the 4+4 connector on the MB, or vice versa? If so, the MB may have been damaged due to the wrong voltages.