Sign in with
Your question

Moving to SSD from HDD/Windows 7 vs 8

Last response: in Windows 8
December 16, 2012 6:35:26 PM

Hi! I'm not sure what is the correct forum section to post this, so I am sorry if I put this in the wrong one. Now onto my question(s).

I have a HP 17- 3277NR
http://www.amazon.com/HP-Envy-17-3277NR-17-3-Inch-Lapto...

I currently have Windows 7 installed on it. Using a 750gb Hdd.

So my question is I will be getting a 128gb SSD in the near future. My laptop has two slots for hard drives, so I want to use my SSD for windows 7 and important apps/games, then use the HDD for everything else. (storage).

How do I do this? Also I'm thinking about moving to windows 8 when I do this, do you think thats a good idea? I play games like League of Legends and I use applications like skype, chrome, word 2010 (I'm a college student)

Do you think its a good idea upgrading to Windows 8? Whats your thoughts about Windows 8 vs Windows 7?

And I'd like to keep some data from this installation if I could, but I'd also like the clean, smooth feeling from a fresh installed OS if I could.

Any help would be great! Thank you!

More about : moving ssd hdd windows

December 17, 2012 4:49:59 PM

Anybody?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
December 17, 2012 5:18:03 PM

Stick with W7, use SSD as boot drive and office etc. Stick the swapfile, temp folder etc on the hdd along with all your games, steam etc etc. Turn off hibernation and system restore for SSD.
m
l
Related resources
December 17, 2012 6:59:06 PM

And how do I set up where everything is stored? Sorry I'm new at this. Any instructions/links you can provide will be very helpful. Thank you!
m
l
December 17, 2012 7:20:31 PM

This is what you do.

1. Install the OS on the SSD
a. Optimize the drive Samsung has a tool called Samsung Magician there are things in there that will optimize your drive. I turn off the power settings because they can be annoying but there are things like turning off fragmenting because you don't do that with a SSD. To turning off indexing.
b. in terms of programs you will custom install and designate it to the storage drive.
m
l
December 17, 2012 8:09:32 PM

Personally I like mostly everything about Windows 8. If I were to use a similar set up to yours, I might mount the hard drive on to the Documents directory. You will probably need to look up how to do that, but it's not hard. otherwise, the hard drive will just be the "D:" drive.
m
l
December 17, 2012 8:10:35 PM

Windows 8 is quite faster than windws 7, I'm currently only using a HDD and my pc boots in 3-5 seconds.

Windows 8 will increase your overall performance in games, because it uses less ram and CPU power. Not by much though.

It all depends on how much it will cost you. :) 
m
l
a b * Windows 8
December 17, 2012 8:28:41 PM

get acronis true image it will do what you need, also windows 8 is far more Superior than 7.

get acronis true image it will do what you need, also windows 8 is far more Superior than 7.

m
l
December 17, 2012 8:31:00 PM

Quote:
Lostgamer_03...

Windows 8 is quite faster than windws 7, I'm currently only using a HDD and my pc boots in 3-5 seconds.

WOW! 3-5 seconds to boot from power up to desktop or is this the difference between your Win7 to Win8 power up?
m
l
a b * Windows 8
December 17, 2012 8:35:09 PM

Btw acronis true image is being run in win 8 seems all programs that peps say cant run in 8 I got them all working with less configuring and less patch updates then 7

again
m
l
December 17, 2012 8:38:36 PM

As a college student, you'll be wanting to save as much money as possible, though you are still getting an SSD for faster speed on your desktop. Skip windows 8, and just install your OS on the new drive. 3-5 seconds isn't possible with an HDD, and I don't care how superior these guys are saying Windows 8 is, because it's just an interface. Also, no start button, which really...I don't even know.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
December 17, 2012 9:00:25 PM

stingstang said:
As a college student, you'll be wanting to save as much money as possible, though you are still getting an SSD for faster speed on your desktop. Skip windows 8, and just install your OS on the new drive. 3-5 seconds isn't possible with an HDD, and I don't care how superior these guys are saying Windows 8 is, because it's just an interface. Also, no start button, which really...I don't even know.

THIS IS WHAT THE PRO SAY AND THE CON SAY WHAT YOU SAID

4745454b said:
Anyone got a link to the differences between 7 and 8 on the underside to support this? Only thing I've heard about it better CPU in 8 to better support BD, and the lack of the classical desktop. The deep down inner workings were mostly the same I thought. Don't mean to say the OP is lying/wrong, just wondering whats in 8 that would make it so much better then 7. Guess I should look for a review of 8...

The change over 7
1. Speedy Boot Time
2. Innovative & Dynamic Desktop
3. Improved Search Function
4. Windows To Go
5. Windows Live Syncing
5. Improved task manager
6 Improved Windows Explorer :hello: 
7. Built-In Anti virus with Windows Defender
Quote:
8. improved Direct Access
9. centrally manage VPN-like connection(improves communications)

ALL INFORMATION FROM MS TECHNET
{10. SMB 3.0, the new file-sharing

Feature/functionality

New
Enables administrators to perform hardware or software maintenance of nodes in a clustered file server without interrupting server applications storing data on these file shares. Also, if a hardware or software failure occurs on a cluster node, SMB clients transparently reconnect to another cluster node without interrupting server applications that are storing data on these file shares.

New
Using Cluster Shared Volumes (CSV) version 2, administrators can create file shares that provide simultaneous access to data files, with direct I/O, through all nodes in a file server cluster. This provides better utilization of network bandwidth and load balancing of the file server clients, and optimizes performance for server applications.

Updated
SMB Multichannel

New
Enables aggregation of network bandwidth and network fault tolerance if multiple paths are available between the SMB 3.0 client and the SMB 3.0 server. This enables server applications to take full advantage of all available network bandwidth and be resilient to a network failure.

New SMB Direct
Supports the use of network adapters that have RDMA capability and can function at full speed with very low latency, while using very little CPU. For workloads such as Hyper-V or Microsoft SQL Server, this enables a remote file server to resemble local storage.
Performance Counters for server applications

New
The new SMB performance counters provide detailed, per-share information about throughput, latency, and I/O per second (IOPS), allowing administrators to analyze the performance of SMB 3.0 file shares where their data is stored. These counters are specifically designed for server applications, such as Hyper-V and SQL Server, which store files on remote file shares.
Performance optimizations
Updated
Both the SMB 3.0 client and SMB 3.0 server have been optimized for small random read/write I/O, which is common in server applications such as SQL Server OLTP. In addition, large Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) is turned on by default, which significantly enhances performance in large sequential transfers, such as SQL Server data warehouse, database backup or restore, deploying or copying virtual hard disks.
SMB-specific Windows PowerShell cmdlets

New
With Windows PowerShell cmdlets for SMB, an administrator can manage file shares on the file server, end to end, from the command line.
SMB Encryption

New
Provides end-to-end encryption of SMB data and protects data from eavesdropping occurrences on untrusted networks. Requires no new deployment costs, and no need for Internet Protocol security (IPsec), specialized hardware, or WAN accelerators. It may be configured on a per share basis, or for the entire file server, and may be enabled for a variety of scenarios where data traverses untrusted networks.
SMB Directory Leasing

New
Improves application response times in branch offices. With the use of directory leases, roundtrips from client to server are reduced since metadata is retrieved from a longer living directory cache. Cache coherency is maintained because clients are notified when directory information on the server changes. Works with scenarios for HomeFolder (read/write with no sharing) and Publication (read-only with sharing).
Hardware requirements}

WINDOWS 7 IS OUTDATED COMPARED TO WINDOWS 8 :bounce: 

WINDOWS 7 FROZE WITH LESS THEN HALF THE PROGRAMS RUNNING

11. enhanced multi-monitor support :hello: 

12. Built in Hyper-V
13. full dx11.1 support :hello: 

Little about me, I'm 51 been working and using windows since dos days, I've used ever version of windows since they started windows. I have pushed ever version of windows to its limits, testing its abilities to perform. Windows 8 is the only OS I've seen that can run all these apps. I'm still able to Move my mouse and execute IE and work with it. For me, nobody can tell me any different cause I know from my testing of previous OS.

Performance meter is more accurate then any OS ever made, allows more ease of use on system hardware by handling the resources of data and power through sync to cpu, hd, cache, threads are efficiently handled by multi core cpus, also handles virtual cpus more efficiently with direct access to hardware. Management of connections are upgraded to handle private and public usage to access dynamically between hardware connections and user profiles. This is a huge performance and compatible issue resolved with windows 8 over 7 specially LAN connections and wireless.
m
l
December 17, 2012 10:23:31 PM

gomerpile said:

The change over 7
1. Speedy Boot Time
4. Windows To Go
5. Windows Live Syncing
5. Improved task manager
Quote:

Feature/functionality

New
Enables administrators to perform hardware or software maintenance of nodes in a clustered file server without interrupting server applications storing data on these file shares. Also, if a hardware or software failure occurs on a cluster node, SMB clients transparently reconnect to another cluster node without interrupting server applications that are storing data on these file shares.

New
Using Cluster Shared Volumes (CSV) version 2, administrators can create file shares that provide simultaneous access to data files, with direct I/O, through all nodes in a file server cluster. This provides better utilization of network bandwidth and load balancing of the file server clients, and optimizes performance for server applications.

Updated
SMB Multichannel

New
Enables aggregation of network bandwidth and network fault tolerance if multiple paths are available between the SMB 3.0 client and the SMB 3.0 server. This enables server applications to take full advantage of all available network bandwidth and be resilient to a network failure.

New SMB Direct
Supports the use of network adapters that have RDMA capability and can function at full speed with very low latency, while using very little CPU. For workloads such as Hyper-V or Microsoft SQL Server, this enables a remote file server to resemble local storage.

New
The new SMB performance counters provide detailed, per-share information about throughput, latency, and I/O per second (IOPS), allowing administrators to analyze the performance of SMB 3.0 file shares where their data is stored. These counters are specifically designed for server applications, such as Hyper-V and SQL Server, which store files on remote file shares.
Updated
Both the SMB 3.0 client and SMB 3.0 server have been optimized for small random read/write I/O, which is common in server applications such as SQL Server OLTP. In addition, large Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) is turned on by default, which significantly enhances performance in large sequential transfers, such as SQL Server data warehouse, database backup or restore, deploying or copying virtual hard disks.

New
With Windows PowerShell cmdlets for SMB, an administrator can manage file shares on the file server, end to end, from the command line.
SMB Encryption

New
Provides end-to-end encryption of SMB data and protects data from eavesdropping occurrences on untrusted networks. Requires no new deployment costs, and no need for Internet Protocol security (IPsec), specialized hardware, or WAN accelerators. It may be configured on a per share basis, or for the entire file server, and may be enabled for a variety of scenarios where data traverses untrusted networks.
SMB Directory Leasing

New
Improves application response times in branch offices. With the use of directory leases, roundtrips from client to server are reduced since metadata is retrieved from a longer living directory cache. Cache coherency is maintained because clients are notified when directory information on the server changes. Works with scenarios for HomeFolder (read/write with no sharing) and Publication (read-only with sharing).
Hardware requirements}

http://bfvets.dyndns.org/xcpus/apps.png

12. Built in Hyper-V

Little about me, I'm 51 been working and using windows since dos days, I've used ever version of windows since they started windows. I have pushed ever version of windows to its limits, testing its abilities to perform. Windows 8 is the only OS I've seen that can run all these apps. I'm still able to Move my mouse and execute IE and work with it. For me, nobody can tell me any different cause I know from my testing of previous OS.

Performance meter is more accurate then any OS ever made, allows more ease of use on system hardware by handling the resources of data and power through sync to cpu, hd, cache, threads are efficiently handled by multi core cpus, also handles virtual cpus more efficiently with direct access to hardware. Management of connections are upgraded to handle private and public usage to access dynamically between hardware connections and user profiles. This is a huge performance and compatible issue resolved with windows 8 over 7 specially LAN connections and wireless.

1.Speedy Bootup I agree - it should be faster than it is on 7.
2.Dynamic Desktop? What do you mean? Innovative? Nah.
3.Improved search function is fine as long as it's not based on INDEXING.
4.Windows to Go -nice one but 7 also has something similar - Windows Embedded Standard 7 so no huge deal.
5.Sort of Dropbox with its advantages and probably some disadvantages(still 5GB)
6."Improved Windows Explorer" - you've got to b e kidding me - it DECREASES my overall speed through the system(using keyboard and mouse). Buttons are not placed smartly and Windows 7 is better organized overall.
7.Built in antivirus - I NEVER use that software as my antivirus or protection suite - never - and never will. It's always better to use a "dedicated" antivirus software. I've been through a lot of stuff like this. I know Windows Defender is more effective in removing malware and all that but still - I wouldn't trust WinDefender when it comes to protecting my whole PC and my info .

There are MAJOR drawbacks in Windows 8 such as the interface, lack of a proper menu - lack of ingenuity in terms of menu locations(shutting down a multi-monitor computer was a pain in the neck).
Many things seem to have been done by dumb people - when was the last time you had to enter the "SETTINGS" section in order to TURN OFF a device(excepting Win8) ? It couldn't be any dumber...and it's not the only problem in Windows 8.
Thank God there's support for Windows Se7en until 2020.
m
l
December 17, 2012 10:23:39 PM

gomerpile said:

The change over 7
1. Speedy Boot Time
4. Windows To Go
5. Windows Live Syncing
5. Improved task manager
Quote:

Feature/functionality

New

New

Updated
SMB Multichannel

New

New SMB Direct

New
Updated

New
SMB Encryption

New
SMB Directory Leasing

New
Hardware requirements}

12. Built in Hyper-V

4.Windows to Go -nice one but 7 also has something similar - Windows Embedded Standard 7 so no huge deal.
5.Sort of Dropbox with its advantages and probably some disadvantages(still 5GB)
6."Improved Windows Explorer" - you've got to b e kidding me - it DECREASES my overall speed through the system(using keyboard and mouse). Buttons are not placed smartly and Windows 7 is better organized overall.
7.Built in antivirus - I NEVER use that software as my antivirus or protection suite - never - and never will. It's always better to use a "dedicated" antivirus software. I've been through a lot of stuff like this. I know Windows Defender is more effective in removing malware and all that but still - I wouldn't trust WinDefender when it comes to protecting my whole PC and my info .

There are MAJOR drawbacks in Windows 8 such as the interface, lack of a proper menu - lack of ingenuity in terms of menu locations(shutting down a multi-monitor computer was a pain in the neck).
Many things seem to have been done by dumb people - when was the last time you had to enter the "SETTINGS" section in order to TURN OFF a device(excepting Win8) ? It couldn't be any dumber...and it's not the only problem in Windows 8.
m
l
December 17, 2012 10:23:48 PM

gomerpile said:

The change over 7
1. Speedy Boot Time
4. Windows To Go
5. Windows Live Syncing
5. Improved task manager
Quote:

Feature/functionality

New

New

Updated
SMB Multichannel

New

New SMB Direct

New
Updated

New
SMB Encryption

New
SMB Directory Leasing

New
Hardware requirements}

12. Built in Hyper-V

m
l
a b * Windows 8
December 17, 2012 10:52:29 PM

3ogdy said:

thats your opinion with no back up with what you say, At least I have bck up proof that 8 is far more advanced then 7. YOU GO AHEAD AND TOY WITH 7, ALL THE PROS HAVE FUN WITH 8. We will leave the rookies toying with 7
Give me one example of a problems, rather than blabbery, 8 got problems. I'll prove its not a problem, so far nobody has stood up and given an example. I See all tech reviews are much better, now they actually have used the OS.

which device would you like disable, or customized, I'll teach you the way to complete the simple task
EDIT: Advice from a guy that cant even post correctly Humm :hello: 
m
l
!