IPAQ and SD card

June 13, 2005 12:35:46 AM

I find that when I copy to a 1 Gig SD card from my PC that only a few files
are copied and I'm told there is no space left. If I create a folder on the
SD card then copy the files to the folder I can copy nearly 1 Gig to the SD
card.

Is there a reason why I cannot copy to the SD card root folder?
I have PocketPC 2003 on an IPAQ h5550
Mark

More about : ipaq card

Anonymous
June 13, 2005 12:35:47 AM

"msnews.microsoft.com" <john@a.com> wrote in message
>I find that when I copy to a 1 Gig SD card from my PC that only a few files
>are copied and I'm told there is no space left. If I create a folder on the
>SD card then copy the files to the folder I can copy nearly 1 Gig to the SD
>card.
>
> Is there a reason why I cannot copy to the SD card root folder?
> I have PocketPC 2003 on an IPAQ h5550
> Mark

Run a disk checking utility on the card like your pc's chkdsk, scandisk,
nortons tools or whatever you have. Use PC tools via a card reader or get
such tools for your ppc.
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 12:35:48 AM

Their is a limit to how many files can be stored in the root folder, with a
1 GB card it's possible to reach this limit, and still have lots of room
left. But once you reach that limit you will e unable to write anymore files
at all, until you delete some. Another possibility is the card is defective,
and you have reach a bad spot in the cards structure. If you try to write
say 10 files to the card and it will only take say 4, and then you try to
write say 15 and it will take 6, I would think along the lines of a bad, or
defective SD card.

--
David Hettel
Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices

This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
You assume all risks for your use.

"Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote in message
news:D 8h6k3$938$3@news8.svr.pol.co.uk...

> "msnews.microsoft.com" <john@a.com> wrote in message
>>I find that when I copy to a 1 Gig SD card from my PC that only a few
>>files are copied and I'm told there is no space left. If I create a folder
>>on the SD card then copy the files to the folder I can copy nearly 1 Gig
>>to the SD card.
>>
>> Is there a reason why I cannot copy to the SD card root folder?
>> I have PocketPC 2003 on an IPAQ h5550
>> Mark
>>

> Run a disk checking utility on the card like your pc's chkdsk, scandisk,
> nortons tools or whatever you have. Use PC tools via a card reader or get
> such tools for your ppc.

Related resources
June 13, 2005 12:35:49 AM

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 09:07:46 -0400, David Hettel MS MVP - Mobile
Devices wrote:

>Their is a limit to how many files can be stored in the root folder, with a
>1 GB card it's possible to reach this limit, and still have lots of room
>left. But once you reach that limit you will e unable to write anymore files
>at all, until you delete some. Another possibility is the card is defective,
>and you have reach a bad spot in the cards structure. If you try to write
>say 10 files to the card and it will only take say 4, and then you try to
>write say 15 and it will take 6, I would think along the lines of a bad, or
>defective SD card.

You can run out of inodes?

Oh, wait...

--
"I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
- Slartibartfast

Bruno <spamthis@notaserver.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 09:07:46 -0400, David Hettel MS MVP - Mobile
>Devices wrote:
>
>>Their is a limit to how many files can be stored in the root folder, with a
>>1 GB card it's possible to reach this limit, and still have lots of room
>>left. But once you reach that limit you will e unable to write anymore files
>>at all, until you delete some. Another possibility is the card is defective,
>>and you have reach a bad spot in the cards structure. If you try to write
>>say 10 files to the card and it will only take say 4, and then you try to
>>write say 15 and it will take 6, I would think along the lines of a bad, or
>>defective SD card.
>
>You can run out of inodes?
>
>Oh, wait...

A problem Bruno?? Oh Oh. Better cmon back to your roots... ;)
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 3:42:20 AM

Reply to message from "David Hettel MS MVP - Mobile Devices" <dhettel@fuse.
net> (Sun, 12 Jun 2005 09:07:46) about "Re: IPAQ and SD card":

DH> Their is a limit to how many files can be stored in the root folder,
DH> with a
DH> 1 GB card it's possible to reach this limit, and still have lots of
DH> room left.

A limitation of the FAT (be it 16 or 32) file system that as been around
for as long as I can remember (and I can remember back to DOS days). 255 or
254 files is the maximum number of files you can stick in the root
directory.

Don

===
Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.3
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 3:44:09 AM

thank you for this info. I did not realise the file system was FAT.

I can get all 1 Gig using folders. I will continue to do this.

regards,
mark

"Donald E. Stidwell" <donald.stidwell@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
> Reply to message from "David Hettel MS MVP - Mobile Devices"
> <dhettel@fuse.
> net> (Sun, 12 Jun 2005 09:07:46) about "Re: IPAQ and SD card":
>
> DH> Their is a limit to how many files can be stored in the root folder,
> DH> with a
> DH> 1 GB card it's possible to reach this limit, and still have lots of
> DH> room left.
>

> A limitation of the FAT (be it 16 or 32) file system that as been around
> for as long as I can remember (and I can remember back to DOS days). 255
> or
> 254 files is the maximum number of files you can stick in the root
> directory.
>
> Don
>
> ===
> Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.3
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 1:12:12 PM

I think that 255 is the length of the filename limitation, not the number of
files. If that were true then you would never be able to install any
software on a FAT partition.

I must ask, are you sure you are copying to the right area? If you can copy
to an SD card directly than it can't be an issue with the SD card, just the
means of how you copy to it.

Are you trying to copy a large amount of files at once? Try doing a little
at a time. I'm not sure but when you copy a file to the SD card through
your IPAQ, it might have to store the file in memory as it writes it to the
SD card. You might be running out of memory there and the system can't
handle it. Try copying 1 file at a time.

Jaz

"Donald E. Stidwell" <donald.stidwell@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
> Reply to message from "David Hettel MS MVP - Mobile Devices"
<dhettel@fuse.
> net> (Sun, 12 Jun 2005 09:07:46) about "Re: IPAQ and SD card":
>
> DH> Their is a limit to how many files can be stored in the root folder,
> DH> with a
> DH> 1 GB card it's possible to reach this limit, and still have lots of
> DH> room left.
>

> A limitation of the FAT (be it 16 or 32) file system that as been around
> for as long as I can remember (and I can remember back to DOS days). 255
or
> 254 files is the maximum number of files you can stick in the root
> directory.
>
> Don
>
> ===
> Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.3
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 4:33:54 PM

Reply to message from "Jaz" <jrecto99@yahoo.com> (Wed, 15 Jun 2005 09:12:
12) about "Re: IPAQ and SD card":

J> I think that 255 is the length of the filename limitation, not the
J> number of files. If that were true then you would never be able to
J> install any software on a FAT partition.

No - the file name limit is much shorter than that I believe. I install
programs to my SD card all the time and they go to their own subdiretories.
The number of files that can go in the ROOT directory is limited.

(Or at least it is with FAT16. I just tried to Goggle on FAT32 limits and
haven't come up with anything yet).

Don

===
Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.3
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 8:55:22 PM

Is it the number of files that are limited on the root directory or the
amount of storage space that is limited?
Jaz
> Reply to message from "Jaz" <jrecto99@yahoo.com> (Wed, 15 Jun 2005 09:12:
> 12) about "Re: IPAQ and SD card":
>
> J> I think that 255 is the length of the filename limitation, not the
> J> number of files. If that were true then you would never be able to
> J> install any software on a FAT partition.
>
> No - the file name limit is much shorter than that I believe. I install
> programs to my SD card all the time and they go to their own
subdiretories.
> The number of files that can go in the ROOT directory is limited.
>
> (Or at least it is with FAT16. I just tried to Goggle on FAT32 limits and
> haven't come up with anything yet).
>
> Don
>
> ===
> Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.3
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 2:35:38 AM

The FAT 16 system uses 32 sectors of 512 bytes each to store the root
directory. This limits the size of the root directory on a hard disk or SD
card to 512 entries. In other words, you can have at most 512 files and
folders in the root directory. Under the FAT 32 system, you can have as many
files and folders in the root directory as you want.

Bob

"Jaz" <jrecto99@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o 1p3MyecFHA.3400@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Is it the number of files that are limited on the root directory or the
> amount of storage space that is limited?
> Jaz
> "Donald E. Stidwell" <donald.stidwell@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
>> Reply to message from "Jaz" <jrecto99@yahoo.com> (Wed, 15 Jun 2005 09:12:
>> 12) about "Re: IPAQ and SD card":
>>
>> J> I think that 255 is the length of the filename limitation, not the
>> J> number of files. If that were true then you would never be able to
>> J> install any software on a FAT partition.
>>
>> No - the file name limit is much shorter than that I believe. I install
>> programs to my SD card all the time and they go to their own
> subdiretories.
>> The number of files that can go in the ROOT directory is limited.
>>
>> (Or at least it is with FAT16. I just tried to Goggle on FAT32 limits and
>> haven't come up with anything yet).
>>
>> Don
>>
>> ===
>> Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.3

Anonymous
June 16, 2005 2:53:06 AM

You could always try reformatting the card to FAT32 ... not sure if that
would make any difference tho.

> thank you for this info. I did not realise the file system was FAT.
>
> I can get all 1 Gig using folders. I will continue to do this.
>
> regards,
> mark
>
> "Donald E. Stidwell" <donald.stidwell@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
>> Reply to message from "David Hettel MS MVP - Mobile Devices"
>> <dhettel@fuse.
>> net> (Sun, 12 Jun 2005 09:07:46) about "Re: IPAQ and SD card":
>>
>> DH> Their is a limit to how many files can be stored in the root folder,
>> DH> with a
>> DH> 1 GB card it's possible to reach this limit, and still have lots of
>> DH> room left.
>>

>> A limitation of the FAT (be it 16 or 32) file system that as been around
>> for as long as I can remember (and I can remember back to DOS days). 255
>> or
>> 254 files is the maximum number of files you can stick in the root
>> directory.
>>
>> Don
>>
>> ===
>> Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.3

Anonymous
June 16, 2005 1:36:43 PM

Reply to message from "Robert Cyr" <rcyrs@videotron.ca> (Wed, 15 Jun 2005
22:35:38) about "Re: IPAQ and SD card":

RC> The FAT 16 system uses 32 sectors of
RC> 512 bytes each to store the root directory. This limits the size of
RC> the root directory on a hard disk or SD card to 512 entries. In other
RC> words, you can have at most 512 files and folders in the root
RC> directory. Under the FAT 32 system, you can have as many files and
RC> folders in the root directory as you want.

RC> Bob

Thanks the clarification, Bob. I tried to Google on FAT32 limits and came
up blank.

I'm an old pre-DOS guy, so the limits on the root directory are burned in
my brain! At any rate, I can't imagine why one would eschew the use of
subdirectories.

Don

===
Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.3