Riprep images - question about adding new drivers

Tags:
  • Drivers
  • Microsoft
  • Dell
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
May 4, 2005 9:43:03 AM

Hi

I seem to have Riprep almost working and am able to create a riprep image on
a Dell GX270 which I can then image to a Dell GX240. I have a couple of
drivers which aren't being picked up but it might be because I don't have the
correct ones.

The way I have done it is to create a drivers folder (with my drivers in it
for all different types of desktops) on the c: of the machine I am imaging.
I have also created a Sysprep folder on the c:\ and have a sysprep.inf file
which sets the drivers path to c:\drivers. On the server I have changed the
riprep.sif file associated with the image to point to "drivers\gx270nic;
drivers\gx240\video..."

I think this is the correct way of doing things. The question I have is,
what do I do when I get new drivers that I want to install ? Do I have to
update the sysprep.inf file, add the drivers to the location c:\drivers, and
riprep the machine again to create a new image ?

Can I set the drivers location to be a shared folder on the network so that
when I need to add new drivers I don't need to create a new image.

Any advice about the way I am doing this stuff would be very helpful.

Thanks

Graeme

More about : riprep images question adding drivers

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
May 7, 2005 12:32:44 AM

sysprep.inf needs to point to "drivers\gx270nic;drivers\gx240\video" etc.

I just have drivers\nic;drivers\video;drivers\inf etc and bung all the nic
drivers for the various models in drivers\nic, all the video drivers for the
various models in drivers\video, all the chipset inf files in drivers\inf
etc. Seems to work fine - I have a single Riprep RIS image that installs
correctly on GX150/240/260/270/280, including models with and without AGP
video cards. The only caveat is that we have to disable hyperthreading on
the GX270/280 for the duration of the RIS install, as the image was created
for halaacpi.dll. Once the OS is installed hyperthreading can be enabled if
wanted (we don't bother).

Nick

!