Dell v. Sanji Build?

PwrSerge

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
I am trying to decide whether to buy a Dell E521 from the Dell outlet, or build my own computer. I want to spend around $325. The computer would be used for Photoshop, Flash and some light gaming -- Rome: Total War in particular. The cheap AMD build Sanji described looked like a good option. (Sanji's Guide to Gaming PCs on a Budget)

The $300 Dell E521 Specs are:

-- AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (2.0GHz)
-- 512 MB DDR2 SDRAM 533MHz (1 DIMM)
-- 80 GB EIDE SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
-- 48X CD RW/DVD Combo Drive, and
-- Integrated NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE GPU

Does this seem like a reasonable system for $300, or should I build my own to ensure I get the most bang for my buck?

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Sanji's FTW!

Pretty much same CPU, but double the RAM and a better graphics card (compared to Dell's onboard). Plus a DVD burner, not a DVD ROM.

Sanji's suggestion is FAR better.

ON a completely unrelated sidenote, how did that Overclockers Canucks banner get attached to my post(s)? It's not in my sig, that's for sure. Tom's in-forum, in-post advertising? Getting creative for the advert dollars or WHAT? 8O

eckre

Distinguished
May 31, 2006
yeah, and uh, you're asking in the wrong areana is you are pro-dell. pretty much everyone here is dedicated to building their own crap. but does the non-dell come with OS? it's amazing how cheap that dell is. .. .

Mondoman

Splendid
.... I want to spend around $325. The computer would be used for Photoshop, ...?
Unless I'm missing something, you'll want (1) tons of RAM (2GB minimum, 3GB better) for Photoshop, and (2) a nice big hard disk (you can get 320GB for $80), and (3) a more powerful CPU.
I'd at least double your budget if you really want to use Photoshop.

sanjiwatsuki

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
Yay! My build is getting praised.

Be sure to remember the operating system.

Granted, there are a few "pirate" ways to run Windows XP and there is always Linux, but Dell has the OS.

Keep that in mind.

PwrSerge

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
I've been checking in Dell's outlet section. I've found e521's for as low as $219. One of the main appeals for me was the OS included.