Upgrading to a 2003 AD from Windows 2000 AD

I have a Windows 2000 AD that has been running for 5 years. I am also running
Exchange 5.5 on a 2nd DC.

I will be replacing the servers with new 2003 boxes. I will also be
installing Exchange 2003 on one of the new servers.

What will be the best way to go about this upgrade? My new 2003 servers are
not running SP1 (I have read about issues with SP1 and Exchange)

(I got this from another post)

Performing a "not in place" upgrade:

1. Run Adprep /forestprep, Adprep /domainprep on win2k DC.

2. Install win2k3 on your new machine and join it to the win2k domain.

3. Promote win2k3 to be an additional DC. This process will replicate
user/computer accounts from 2k to 2k3.

4. Install AD-integrated DNS on 2k3, this process will auto replicate DNS
from 2k to 2k3.

5. Move Global Catalog to the new server.

6. Switch FSMO Roles to the new server.

Where does my Exchange 2003 fit into this picture since it is so much a part
of AD? Is there other ADPREP things that I need to worry about while I am
doing this?

Thanks

Kelly Hale, MCP
ICS Systems, Inc.

See:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331161
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325379
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326480

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

"khale" <khale@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Windows 2000 AD that has been running for 5 years. I am also
>running
> Exchange 5.5 on a 2nd DC.
>
> I will be replacing the servers with new 2003 boxes. I will also be
> installing Exchange 2003 on one of the new servers.
>
> What will be the best way to go about this upgrade? My new 2003 servers
> are
> not running SP1 (I have read about issues with SP1 and Exchange)
>
> (I got this from another post)
>
> Performing a "not in place" upgrade:
>
> 1. Run Adprep /forestprep, Adprep /domainprep on win2k DC.
>
> 2. Install win2k3 on your new machine and join it to the win2k domain.
>
> 3. Promote win2k3 to be an additional DC. This process will replicate
> user/computer accounts from 2k to 2k3.
>
> 4. Install AD-integrated DNS on 2k3, this process will auto replicate DNS
> from 2k to 2k3.
>
> 5. Move Global Catalog to the new server.
>
> 6. Switch FSMO Roles to the new server.

> Where does my Exchange 2003 fit into this picture since it is so much a
> part
> of AD? Is there other ADPREP things that I need to worry about while I am
> doing this?
>
> Thanks
>
> Kelly Hale, MCP
> ICS Systems, Inc.