Reinstall question - SP2

Zalman

Hi.. sorry for the cross post, but I realize that here is most likely to have
an answer for my problem.
I am having problems with intermitent failures to reboot (sometimes XP
reboots ok, sometimes I get a black screen, no error stored). I already tried
a lot of workarounds to no avail. So I just need to know one thing now:
0- I did a clean install of XP PRO SP2 CD, all my applications are already
installed.
1- Can I try to reinstall XP again over the same installation? I mean
install from the CD while Windows is running, and not booting from the SP2
CD.
2- Is there any known problem by doing this? The old installation will be
overwritten?
3- All my applications will continue to work if I choose to "update" the
installation?

English is not my mother thongue, I hope you understand what I am asking.

Thank you.

You can reinstall xp by all means, but 'not' while windows is running. You
wil need to insert your windows xp cd into the cd-rom, reboot your machine
and during the setup select the 'Repair' option. You will find details on
Repairing windows on my website:
http://freespace.virgin.net/john.freelanceit/index.htm
click the Win XP Faq button and look at Question 55

Do you have a separate cd of SP2 update or did you download it from the
Microsoft website?
Have you tried uninstalling SP2 to see if that cures the problem? You can
uninstall SP2 by going to the Add/Remove option in Control panel.

Are you receiving any error messages that might be useful to us?

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

"Zalman" <Zalman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi.. sorry for the cross post, but I realize that here is most likely to
> have
> an answer for my problem.
> I am having problems with intermitent failures to reboot (sometimes XP
> reboots ok, sometimes I get a black screen, no error stored). I already
> tried
> a lot of workarounds to no avail. So I just need to know one thing now:
> 0- I did a clean install of XP PRO SP2 CD, all my applications are already
> installed.
> 1- Can I try to reinstall XP again over the same installation? I mean
> install from the CD while Windows is running, and not booting from the SP2
> CD.
> 2- Is there any known problem by doing this? The old installation will be
> overwritten?
> 3- All my applications will continue to work if I choose to "update" the
> installation?
>
> English is not my mother thongue, I hope you understand what I am asking.
>
> Thank you.

if you do a repair, and it is successful,
will the contents of "my documents" still be there?

back up your documents before you do the repair if you haven't already done
so.

Have you tried any of the fixes at Jim's site, if not if would be worth
while having a look.
> http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm
Joan

Zalman wrote:
> Hi.. sorry for the cross post, but I realize that here is most likely to have
> an answer for my problem.
> I am having problems with intermitent failures to reboot (sometimes XP
> reboots ok, sometimes I get a black screen, no error stored). I already tried
> a lot of workarounds to no avail. So I just need to know one thing now:
> 0- I did a clean install of XP PRO SP2 CD, all my applications are already
> installed.
> 1- Can I try to reinstall XP again over the same installation? I mean
> install from the CD while Windows is running, and not booting from the SP2
> CD.
> 2- Is there any known problem by doing this? The old installation will be
> overwritten?
> 3- All my applications will continue to work if I choose to "update" the
> installation?
>
> English is not my mother thongue, I hope you understand what I am asking.
>
> Thank you.

Hi Joan,

Yes, I tried every single tweak to no avail.... :(
I guess my last resort will be to try the "repair" instalation...
What puzzles me is: It is intermittent, and only during reboot, it will
start normally when the machine is shutdown. Any ideas before a repair?

Zalman

"Joan Archer" <joanarcher@gmail.com> escreveu na mensagem
> Have you tried any of the fixes at Jim's site, if not if would be worth
> while having a look.
>> http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm
> Joan
>
> Zalman wrote:
>> Hi.. sorry for the cross post, but I realize that here is most likely to
>> have an answer for my problem.
>> I am having problems with intermitent failures to reboot (sometimes XP
>> reboots ok, sometimes I get a black screen, no error stored). I already
>> tried a lot of workarounds to no avail. So I just need to know one thing
>> now:
>> 0- I did a clean install of XP PRO SP2 CD, all my applications are
>> already installed. 1- Can I try to reinstall XP again over the same
>> installation? I mean install from the CD while Windows is running, and
>> not booting from the SP2 CD. 2- Is there any known problem by doing this?
>> The old installation will be overwritten?
>> 3- All my applications will continue to work if I choose to "update" the
>> installation?
>>
>> English is not my mother thongue, I hope you understand what I am asking.
>>
>> Thank you.

Zalman

Thanks Avery, I already did that, although a repair is not supposed to wipe
documents.
I have my CD ready and will try in the next few hours.. I'll let you guys
know the result.
Thanks

Zalman

"-Avery Anderson-" <avery@nospam.com> escreveu na mensagem
> back up your documents before you do the repair if you haven't already
> done so.

Zalman

I am on hold to do a repair install.
Last night I did one last step and so far the system is stable, booting and
restarting without problems.
The last step was:
1- turned off virtual memory.
2- rebooted and deleted the pagefile.sys.
3- changed virtual memory to min 800MB and max 4096.
4- Rebooted and since last night I performed 6 restarts and it went ok.

I don't know yet if that is the cure, but so far so good and hope it stays
like this for a long time.

Regards,

Zalman

"Zalman" <Zalman@discussions.microsoft.com> escreveu na mensagem

Smart Newbie wrote:
> Hi Joan,
>
> Yes, I tried every single tweak to no avail.... :(
> I guess my last resort will be to try the "repair" instalation...
> What puzzles me is: It is intermittent, and only during reboot, it will
> start normally when the machine is shutdown. Any ideas before a repair?

Some people "reboot" by pulling the power plug... don't do that unless
there is no alternative.