deploying using ghost

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
May 24, 2005 2:12:09 PM

I have created an image on a Dell GX270. Am I going to run into real
problems putting this image onto Compaq and HP desktops. I know the hardware
is going to be different and will probably mean having to install plenty of
drivers on the HPs and Compaqs but I don't want to run into Blue Screens. Is
it likely to be an issue ?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Graeme

More about : deploying ghost

Anonymous
May 25, 2005 12:20:24 AM

Graeme wrote:
> I have created an image on a Dell GX270. Am I going to run into real
> problems putting this image onto Compaq and HP desktops. I know the hardware
> is going to be different and will probably mean having to install plenty of
> drivers on the HPs and Compaqs but I don't want to run into Blue Screens. Is
> it likely to be an issue ?
>
> Any advice greatly appreciated.
>
> Graeme

Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations and
licenses are not transferable to a new motherboard - check yours before
starting), unless the new motherboard is virtually identical to the old
one (same chipset, IDE/SCSI controllers, etc), you'll most likely need
to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at the very
least (and don't forget to reinstall any service packs and subsequent
hot fixes):

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q292175

What an In-Place Win2K Upgrade Changes and What It Doesn't
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952

If that fails:

How to Move a Windows 2000 Installation to Different Hardware
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q249694&ID=KB;EN-US;Q249694

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 4:26:51 AM

If you don't use Sysprep, then you are very likely to run into issues. If
you're going to image operating systems for deployment, you should always
use Sysprep.

Oli

"Graeme" <Graeme@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have created an image on a Dell GX270. Am I going to run into real
> problems putting this image onto Compaq and HP desktops. I know the
> hardware
> is going to be different and will probably mean having to install plenty
> of
> drivers on the HPs and Compaqs but I don't want to run into Blue Screens.
> Is
> it likely to be an issue ?
>
> Any advice greatly appreciated.
>
> Graeme
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 6:59:45 AM

Bruce Chambers <bchambers@h0tmail.c0m> wrote in
news:o $2pOBNYFHA.3356@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl:

> Graeme wrote:
>> I have created an image on a Dell GX270. Am I going to run into
>> real problems putting this image onto Compaq and HP desktops. I
>> know the hardware is going to be different and will probably mean
>> having to install plenty of drivers on the HPs and Compaqs but I
>> don't want to run into Blue Screens. Is it likely to be an issue
>> ?
>>
>> Any advice greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Graeme
>

> Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM
> installations and
> licenses are not transferable to a new motherboard - check yours
> before starting), unless the new motherboard is virtually
> identical to the old one (same chipset, IDE/SCSI controllers,
> etc), you'll most likely need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place
> upgrade) installation, at the very least (and don't forget to
> reinstall any service packs and subsequent hot fixes):

Actually, you can get really creative with an image supporting lots of
different hardware. I have one image that works on 3 different models
of Compaq laptops, 2 different models of Omnitech PCs and 3 different
models of PDS PCs. I plan to incorporate support for IBM T41 Thinkpads
when we switch over to the new laptop standard.

Check out my universal image guide for Windows 2000 here:
http://stealth.kirenet.com/~aleinss/w2ktips.htm.

Adam
!