deploying using ghost

I have created an image on a Dell GX270. Am I going to run into real
problems putting this image onto Compaq and HP desktops. I know the hardware
is going to be different and will probably mean having to install plenty of
drivers on the HPs and Compaqs but I don't want to run into Blue Screens. Is
it likely to be an issue ?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Graeme
3 answers Last reply
More about deploying ghost

    Graeme wrote:
    > I have created an image on a Dell GX270. Am I going to run into real
    > problems putting this image onto Compaq and HP desktops. I know the hardware
    > is going to be different and will probably mean having to install plenty of
    > drivers on the HPs and Compaqs but I don't want to run into Blue Screens. Is
    > it likely to be an issue ?
    >
    > Any advice greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Graeme

    Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations and
    licenses are not transferable to a new motherboard - check yours before
    starting), unless the new motherboard is virtually identical to the old
    one (same chipset, IDE/SCSI controllers, etc), you'll most likely need
    to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at the very
    least (and don't forget to reinstall any service packs and subsequent
    hot fixes):

    How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q292175

    What an In-Place Win2K Upgrade Changes and What It Doesn't
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952

    If that fails:

    How to Move a Windows 2000 Installation to Different Hardware
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q249694&ID=KB;EN-US;Q249694

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    If you don't use Sysprep, then you are very likely to run into issues. If
    you're going to image operating systems for deployment, you should always
    use Sysprep.

    Oli

    Bruce Chambers <bchambers@h0tmail.c0m> wrote in

    > Graeme wrote:
    >> I have created an image on a Dell GX270. Am I going to run into
    >> real problems putting this image onto Compaq and HP desktops. I
    >> know the hardware is going to be different and will probably mean
    >> having to install plenty of drivers on the HPs and Compaqs but I
    >> don't want to run into Blue Screens. Is it likely to be an issue
    >> ?
    >>
    >> Any advice greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> Graeme
    >

    > Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM
    > installations and
    > licenses are not transferable to a new motherboard - check yours
    > before starting), unless the new motherboard is virtually
    > identical to the old one (same chipset, IDE/SCSI controllers,
    > etc), you'll most likely need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place
    > upgrade) installation, at the very least (and don't forget to
    > reinstall any service packs and subsequent hot fixes):

    Actually, you can get really creative with an image supporting lots of
    different hardware. I have one image that works on 3 different models
    of Compaq laptops, 2 different models of Omnitech PCs and 3 different
    models of PDS PCs. I plan to incorporate support for IBM T41 Thinkpads
    when we switch over to the new laptop standard.

    Check out my universal image guide for Windows 2000 here:
    http://stealth.kirenet.com/~aleinss/w2ktips.htm.

    Adam

Windows