START UP MESSAGES

FIRSTLY I AM PRETTY MUCH A NOVICE, TRYING TO GET BETTER.
I AM RUNNING WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION SERVICE PACK 2 AND NORTON INTERNET
SECURITY 2005.

WHEN I START PC AFTER MOST THINGS HAVE LOADED I RECIEVE 2 MESSAGES,FIRSTLY I
GET A WINDOWS INSTALLER SAYING "PREPARING TO INSTALL" BUT I AM INSTALLIN
NOTHING. SECONDLY I GET "NORTON ANTIVIRUS DOES NOT SUPPORT REPAIR" REPAIR
WHAT????
I HAVE 4 SPYWARE REMOVERS,SPY BOT,AD AWARE,MICROSOFTS ANTISYWARE AND AOL`S
VERSION........CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE?
8 answers Last reply
More about start messages

    Thanks for the links but the kellys corner one is says unavailiable, do you
    have a revised address please (sorry about caps)

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > How to resolve Common "Windows Installer" Problems
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555175&Product=winxp
    >
    > Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301
    >
    > Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll down to
    > Item No. 94 (Windows Installer Fix).
    >
    > [Courtesy of Kelly Theriot, MS-MVP]
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "SIMON" wrote:
    >
    > | FIRSTLY I AM PRETTY MUCH A NOVICE, TRYING TO GET BETTER.
    > | I AM RUNNING WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION SERVICE PACK 2 AND NORTON INTERNET
    > | SECURITY 2005.
    > |
    > | WHEN I START PC AFTER MOST THINGS HAVE LOADED I RECIEVE 2 MESSAGES,FIRSTLY I
    > | GET A WINDOWS INSTALLER SAYING "PREPARING TO INSTALL" BUT I AM INSTALLIN
    > | NOTHING. SECONDLY I GET "NORTON ANTIVIRUS DOES NOT SUPPORT REPAIR" REPAIR
    > | WHAT????
    > | I HAVE 4 SPYWARE REMOVERS,SPY BOT,AD AWARE,MICROSOFTS ANTISYWARE AND AOL`S
    > | VERSION........CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE?

    Please turn off your caps lock. It is considered shouting and poor ng
    ettiquite.

    "SIMON" <SIMON@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > FIRSTLY I AM PRETTY MUCH A NOVICE, TRYING TO GET BETTER.
    > I AM RUNNING WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION SERVICE PACK 2 AND NORTON INTERNET
    > SECURITY 2005.
    >
    > WHEN I START PC AFTER MOST THINGS HAVE LOADED I RECIEVE 2 MESSAGES,FIRSTLY
    > GET A WINDOWS INSTALLER SAYING "PREPARING TO INSTALL" BUT I AM INSTALLIN
    > NOTHING. SECONDLY I GET "NORTON ANTIVIRUS DOES NOT SUPPORT REPAIR"
    > REPAIR
    > WHAT????
    > I HAVE 4 SPYWARE REMOVERS,SPY BOT,AD AWARE,MICROSOFTS ANTISYWARE AND AOL`S
    > VERSION........CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE?

    Mr BARNHORST do you actually help anyone or just complain about other peoples
    typing? have you nothing better to do? anyway as i was new to the newsgroup
    (TODAY) how would i know?

    "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

    > Please turn off your caps lock. It is considered shouting and poor ng
    > ettiquite.

    > "SIMON" <SIMON@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > FIRSTLY I AM PRETTY MUCH A NOVICE, TRYING TO GET BETTER.
    > > I AM RUNNING WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION SERVICE PACK 2 AND NORTON INTERNET
    > > SECURITY 2005.
    > >
    > > WHEN I START PC AFTER MOST THINGS HAVE LOADED I RECIEVE 2 MESSAGES,FIRSTLY
    > > GET A WINDOWS INSTALLER SAYING "PREPARING TO INSTALL" BUT I AM INSTALLIN
    > > NOTHING. SECONDLY I GET "NORTON ANTIVIRUS DOES NOT SUPPORT REPAIR"
    > > REPAIR
    > > WHAT????
    > > I HAVE 4 SPYWARE REMOVERS,SPY BOT,AD AWARE,MICROSOFTS ANTISYWARE AND AOL`S
    > > VERSION........CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE?

    Mine was the standard message given by many here to those who type in caps.
    It is a general request.

    > Mr BARNHORST do you actually help anyone or just complain about other
    > peoples
    > typing? have you nothing better to do? anyway as i was new to the
    > newsgroup
    > (TODAY) how would i know?
    >
    > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
    >
    >> Please turn off your caps lock. It is considered shouting and poor ng
    >> ettiquite.
    >>
    >> --
    >> "SIMON" <SIMON@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > FIRSTLY I AM PRETTY MUCH A NOVICE, TRYING TO GET BETTER.
    >> > I AM RUNNING WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION SERVICE PACK 2 AND NORTON INTERNET
    >> > SECURITY 2005.
    >> >
    >> > WHEN I START PC AFTER MOST THINGS HAVE LOADED I RECIEVE 2
    >> > MESSAGES,FIRSTLY
    >> > GET A WINDOWS INSTALLER SAYING "PREPARING TO INSTALL" BUT I AM
    >> > INSTALLIN
    >> > NOTHING. SECONDLY I GET "NORTON ANTIVIRUS DOES NOT SUPPORT REPAIR"
    >> > REPAIR
    >> > WHAT????
    >> > I HAVE 4 SPYWARE REMOVERS,SPY BOT,AD AWARE,MICROSOFTS ANTISYWARE AND
    >> > AOL`S
    >> > VERSION........CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE?

    Try this again. I just tried it and it's working.

    or this one...
    Windows Installer Fix
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/wininstaller.reg

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:C4C33F64-CAA7-4F4B-91BB-503C8F1D921C@microsoft.com,
    SIMON <SIMON@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Thanks for the links but the kellys corner one is says unavailiable,
    > do you have a revised address please (sorry about caps)
    >
    > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> How to resolve Common "Windows Installer" Problems

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555175&Product=winxp

    >> Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301
    >>
    >> Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll down
    >> to Item No. 94 (Windows Installer Fix).
    >>
    >> [Courtesy of Kelly Theriot, MS-MVP]
    >>
    >> --
    >> Carey Frisch
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP - Shell/User
    >> Microsoft Newsgroups

    >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

    ------------------

    >> "SIMON" wrote:
    >>
    >>> FIRSTLY I AM PRETTY MUCH A NOVICE, TRYING TO GET BETTER.
    >>> I AM RUNNING WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION SERVICE PACK 2 AND NORTON
    >>> INTERNET SECURITY 2005.
    >>>
    >>> WHEN I START PC AFTER MOST THINGS HAVE LOADED I RECIEVE 2
    >>> MESSAGES,FIRSTLY I GET A WINDOWS INSTALLER SAYING "PREPARING TO
    >>> INSTALL" BUT I AM INSTALLIN NOTHING. SECONDLY I GET "NORTON
    >>> ANTIVIRUS DOES NOT SUPPORT REPAIR" REPAIR WHAT????
    >>> I HAVE 4 SPYWARE REMOVERS,SPY BOT,AD AWARE,MICROSOFTS ANTISYWARE
    >>> AND AOL`S VERSION........CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE?

    Thanks for your reply but can you tell me what it does and what i have to do
    because as i said earlier i am a pc novice and am nervous of doing more harm
    than good

    Simon

    In news:2DF44C54-533C-443B-9FA0-E39D132CB1A9@microsoft.com,
    SIMON <SIMON@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > Mr BARNHORST do you actually help anyone

    Colin is a regular contributor here and very often helps people.

    > or just complain about other
    > peoples typing? have you nothing better to do?

    I didn't see a complaint at all. He made a polite request (note
    his use of the word "please"). Others often say the same thing
    much more rudely.

    > anyway as i was new to
    > the newsgroup (TODAY) how would i know?

    You wouldn't know. That's why he told you. You may see it as a
    complaint, but it was designed to help you. Many people,
    including some who might know the answer to your question, will
    simply bypass a message all in caps as being too difficult to
    read. Learn to post properly and you'll be in a much better
    position to get help.

    I would have sent you a message much like Colin's if he hadn't
    done it first.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
    >
    >> Please turn off your caps lock. It is considered shouting and
    >> poor
    >> ng ettiquite.
    >>
    >> --
    >> "SIMON" <SIMON@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> FIRSTLY I AM PRETTY MUCH A NOVICE, TRYING TO GET BETTER.
    >>> I AM RUNNING WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION SERVICE PACK 2 AND
    >>> NORTON
    >>> INTERNET SECURITY 2005.
    >>>
    >>> WHEN I START PC AFTER MOST THINGS HAVE LOADED I RECIEVE 2
    >>> MESSAGES,FIRSTLY I
    >>> GET A WINDOWS INSTALLER SAYING "PREPARING TO INSTALL" BUT I
    >>> AM
    >>> INSTALLIN NOTHING. SECONDLY I GET "NORTON ANTIVIRUS DOES NOT
    >>> SUPPORT REPAIR"
    >>> REPAIR
    >>> WHAT????
    >>> I HAVE 4 SPYWARE REMOVERS,SPY BOT,AD AWARE,MICROSOFTS
    >>> ANTISYWARE
    >>> AND AOL`S VERSION........CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE?

    Thanks for that,it is a little better the installer messages comes on but
    goes away again and the norton message has gone

    simon

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > Try this again. I just tried it and it's working.

    > or this one...
    > Windows Installer Fix
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/wininstaller.reg
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:C4C33F64-CAA7-4F4B-91BB-503C8F1D921C@microsoft.com,
    > SIMON <SIMON@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > Thanks for the links but the kellys corner one is says unavailiable,
    > > do you have a revised address please (sorry about caps)
    > >
    > > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
    > >
    > >> How to resolve Common "Windows Installer" Problems
    > >>
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555175&Product=winxp
    > >>
    > >> Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301
    > >>
    > >> Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll down
    > >> to Item No. 94 (Windows Installer Fix).
    > >>
    > >> [Courtesy of Kelly Theriot, MS-MVP]
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Carey Frisch
    > >> Microsoft MVP
    > >> Windows XP - Shell/User
    > >> Microsoft Newsgroups
    > >>
    > >> Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

Windows XP