START UP MESSAGES

March 27, 2005 1:07:03 PM

FIRSTLY I AM PRETTY MUCH A NOVICE, TRYING TO GET BETTER.
I AM RUNNING WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION SERVICE PACK 2 AND NORTON INTERNET
SECURITY 2005.

WHEN I START PC AFTER MOST THINGS HAVE LOADED I RECIEVE 2 MESSAGES,FIRSTLY I
GET A WINDOWS INSTALLER SAYING "PREPARING TO INSTALL" BUT I AM INSTALLIN
NOTHING. SECONDLY I GET "NORTON ANTIVIRUS DOES NOT SUPPORT REPAIR" REPAIR
WHAT????
I HAVE 4 SPYWARE REMOVERS,SPY BOT,AD AWARE,MICROSOFTS ANTISYWARE AND AOL`S
VERSION........CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE?

More about : start messages

March 27, 2005 1:59:05 PM

Thanks for the links but the kellys corner one is says unavailiable, do you
have a revised address please (sorry about caps)

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> How to resolve Common "Windows Installer" Problems
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555175&Product=winxp
>
> Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301
>
> Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll down to
> Item No. 94 (Windows Installer Fix).
>
> [Courtesy of Kelly Theriot, MS-MVP]
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "SIMON" wrote:
>
> | FIRSTLY I AM PRETTY MUCH A NOVICE, TRYING TO GET BETTER.
> | I AM RUNNING WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION SERVICE PACK 2 AND NORTON INTERNET
> | SECURITY 2005.
> |
> | WHEN I START PC AFTER MOST THINGS HAVE LOADED I RECIEVE 2 MESSAGES,FIRSTLY I
> | GET A WINDOWS INSTALLER SAYING "PREPARING TO INSTALL" BUT I AM INSTALLIN
> | NOTHING. SECONDLY I GET "NORTON ANTIVIRUS DOES NOT SUPPORT REPAIR" REPAIR
> | WHAT????
> | I HAVE 4 SPYWARE REMOVERS,SPY BOT,AD AWARE,MICROSOFTS ANTISYWARE AND AOL`S
> | VERSION........CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE?
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 2:26:49 PM

Please turn off your caps lock. It is considered shouting and poor ng
ettiquite.

"SIMON" <SIMON@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> FIRSTLY I AM PRETTY MUCH A NOVICE, TRYING TO GET BETTER.
> I AM RUNNING WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION SERVICE PACK 2 AND NORTON INTERNET
> SECURITY 2005.
>
> WHEN I START PC AFTER MOST THINGS HAVE LOADED I RECIEVE 2 MESSAGES,FIRSTLY
> GET A WINDOWS INSTALLER SAYING "PREPARING TO INSTALL" BUT I AM INSTALLIN
> NOTHING. SECONDLY I GET "NORTON ANTIVIRUS DOES NOT SUPPORT REPAIR"
> REPAIR
> WHAT????
> I HAVE 4 SPYWARE REMOVERS,SPY BOT,AD AWARE,MICROSOFTS ANTISYWARE AND AOL`S
> VERSION........CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE?
Related resources
March 27, 2005 2:41:04 PM

Mr BARNHORST do you actually help anyone or just complain about other peoples
typing? have you nothing better to do? anyway as i was new to the newsgroup
(TODAY) how would i know?

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> Please turn off your caps lock. It is considered shouting and poor ng
> ettiquite.

> "SIMON" <SIMON@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > FIRSTLY I AM PRETTY MUCH A NOVICE, TRYING TO GET BETTER.
> > I AM RUNNING WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION SERVICE PACK 2 AND NORTON INTERNET
> > SECURITY 2005.
> >
> > WHEN I START PC AFTER MOST THINGS HAVE LOADED I RECIEVE 2 MESSAGES,FIRSTLY
> > GET A WINDOWS INSTALLER SAYING "PREPARING TO INSTALL" BUT I AM INSTALLIN
> > NOTHING. SECONDLY I GET "NORTON ANTIVIRUS DOES NOT SUPPORT REPAIR"
> > REPAIR
> > WHAT????
> > I HAVE 4 SPYWARE REMOVERS,SPY BOT,AD AWARE,MICROSOFTS ANTISYWARE AND AOL`S
> > VERSION........CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE?

Anonymous
March 27, 2005 4:39:15 PM

Mine was the standard message given by many here to those who type in caps.
It is a general request.

> Mr BARNHORST do you actually help anyone or just complain about other
> peoples
> typing? have you nothing better to do? anyway as i was new to the
> newsgroup
> (TODAY) how would i know?
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> Please turn off your caps lock. It is considered shouting and poor ng
>> ettiquite.
>>
>> --
>> "SIMON" <SIMON@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > FIRSTLY I AM PRETTY MUCH A NOVICE, TRYING TO GET BETTER.
>> > I AM RUNNING WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION SERVICE PACK 2 AND NORTON INTERNET
>> > SECURITY 2005.
>> >
>> > WHEN I START PC AFTER MOST THINGS HAVE LOADED I RECIEVE 2
>> > MESSAGES,FIRSTLY
>> > GET A WINDOWS INSTALLER SAYING "PREPARING TO INSTALL" BUT I AM
>> > INSTALLIN
>> > NOTHING. SECONDLY I GET "NORTON ANTIVIRUS DOES NOT SUPPORT REPAIR"
>> > REPAIR
>> > WHAT????
>> > I HAVE 4 SPYWARE REMOVERS,SPY BOT,AD AWARE,MICROSOFTS ANTISYWARE AND
>> > AOL`S
>> > VERSION........CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE?

Anonymous
March 27, 2005 4:41:11 PM

Try this again. I just tried it and it's working.

or this one...
Windows Installer Fix
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/wininstaller...

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:C4C33F64-CAA7-4F4B-91BB-503C8F1D921C@microsoft.com,
SIMON <SIMON@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Thanks for the links but the kellys corner one is says unavailiable,
> do you have a revised address please (sorry about caps)
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> How to resolve Common "Windows Installer" Problems

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555175&Product=winxp

>> Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301
>>
>> Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll down
>> to Item No. 94 (Windows Installer Fix).
>>
>> [Courtesy of Kelly Theriot, MS-MVP]
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups

>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...

------------------

>> "SIMON" wrote:
>>
>>> FIRSTLY I AM PRETTY MUCH A NOVICE, TRYING TO GET BETTER.
>>> I AM RUNNING WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION SERVICE PACK 2 AND NORTON
>>> INTERNET SECURITY 2005.
>>>
>>> WHEN I START PC AFTER MOST THINGS HAVE LOADED I RECIEVE 2
>>> MESSAGES,FIRSTLY I GET A WINDOWS INSTALLER SAYING "PREPARING TO
>>> INSTALL" BUT I AM INSTALLIN NOTHING. SECONDLY I GET "NORTON
>>> ANTIVIRUS DOES NOT SUPPORT REPAIR" REPAIR WHAT????
>>> I HAVE 4 SPYWARE REMOVERS,SPY BOT,AD AWARE,MICROSOFTS ANTISYWARE
>>> AND AOL`S VERSION........CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE?
March 27, 2005 4:41:12 PM

Thanks for your reply but can you tell me what it does and what i have to do
because as i said earlier i am a pc novice and am nervous of doing more harm
than good

Simon

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Try this again. I just tried it and it's working.

> or this one...
> Windows Installer Fix
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/wininstaller...
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:C4C33F64-CAA7-4F4B-91BB-503C8F1D921C@microsoft.com,
> SIMON <SIMON@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Thanks for the links but the kellys corner one is says unavailiable,
> > do you have a revised address please (sorry about caps)
> >
> > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> How to resolve Common "Windows Installer" Problems
> >>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555175&Product=winxp
> >>
> >> Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301
> >>
> >> Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll down
> >> to Item No. 94 (Windows Installer Fix).
> >>
> >> [Courtesy of Kelly Theriot, MS-MVP]
> >>
> >> --
> >> Carey Frisch
> >> Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows XP - Shell/User
> >> Microsoft Newsgroups
> >>
> >> Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...

> ------------------

Anonymous
March 27, 2005 5:06:11 PM

In news:2DF44C54-533C-443B-9FA0-E39D132CB1A9@microsoft.com,
SIMON <SIMON@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Mr BARNHORST do you actually help anyone

Colin is a regular contributor here and very often helps people.

> or just complain about other
> peoples typing? have you nothing better to do?

I didn't see a complaint at all. He made a polite request (note
his use of the word "please"). Others often say the same thing
much more rudely.

> anyway as i was new to
> the newsgroup (TODAY) how would i know?

You wouldn't know. That's why he told you. You may see it as a
complaint, but it was designed to help you. Many people,
including some who might know the answer to your question, will
simply bypass a message all in caps as being too difficult to
read. Learn to post properly and you'll be in a much better
position to get help.

I would have sent you a message much like Colin's if he hadn't
done it first.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> Please turn off your caps lock. It is considered shouting and
>> poor
>> ng ettiquite.
>>
>> --
>> "SIMON" <SIMON@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> FIRSTLY I AM PRETTY MUCH A NOVICE, TRYING TO GET BETTER.
>>> I AM RUNNING WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION SERVICE PACK 2 AND
>>> NORTON
>>> INTERNET SECURITY 2005.
>>>
>>> WHEN I START PC AFTER MOST THINGS HAVE LOADED I RECIEVE 2
>>> MESSAGES,FIRSTLY I
>>> GET A WINDOWS INSTALLER SAYING "PREPARING TO INSTALL" BUT I
>>> AM
>>> INSTALLIN NOTHING. SECONDLY I GET "NORTON ANTIVIRUS DOES NOT
>>> SUPPORT REPAIR"
>>> REPAIR
>>> WHAT????
>>> I HAVE 4 SPYWARE REMOVERS,SPY BOT,AD AWARE,MICROSOFTS
>>> ANTISYWARE
>>> AND AOL`S VERSION........CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE?
March 27, 2005 5:29:02 PM

Thanks for that,it is a little better the installer messages comes on but
goes away again and the norton message has gone

simon

!