A little nervous, first Intel build

kitchenshark

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
I'm a long time AMD fan, but the recent C2D developments and the good price/performance of Intel has won me over to give them a try.

I've just ordered the Gigabyte DS3
Intel Allendale 4300
Scythe Ninja Plus
Corsair ValueSelect 2x1Gb DDR2 667

I've done a lot of research, and none of it says I won't be able to use all of this together. My research seems to indicate that all of it will work well together. Just needing a post or two from someone experienced in Intel to calm my nerves.

My biggest concern is the ram and processor compatibility with the motherboard. I don't have a spare proc or mem or the money to get them if I have to make BIOS adjustments.

So, number one: Does the processor have a high likelyhood of dropping into the motherboard and running?

2: Will the ram drop in and run as well?

Next is overclocking. I am DEFINITLY going to need to OC this processor. I'm NOT going for max, just enough to take me up to something equal to or slightly above AMD FX-62 performance. I seem to think that 2.4-2.6Ghz on the 4300 should achieve this goal. Can I just raise the FSB to 270-290Mhz to get the clock speed I need without doing much else? (I'm well aware of the excellent C2D overclock guide here on Toms Forumz and will be using it for all the other config stuff)

Other than the prerequisites in the OC guide, is there anything else I might have to do? Can I jump straight to FSB 270 with the RAM I've purchased?

Thank you all for your time.

stan116

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
OK,I just built 6 intel systems this week,and i am starting on the 7th tonite.1st,go with a eVGA 122-CK-Nf68 motherboard,and you should really go with at least DDR2 PC6400 for memory.Stay away friom the value if you can,if you cant,then at least buy the PC6400.If you let me know how much you have to worrk with,ilkl can help you out a little better.I build and sell Highend SLI gaming machines,so if you ever need any help,just email me,or if you want to take a look at what i just finished,email me and ill send you a few photos.Heres my address:

[ stanj.miranda@comcast.net ] just remember to put the dot after the j.

Stan

angelkiller

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
Yes, everything should work out of the box. I've seen many people do it before. As for your RAM, consider this. At stock speeds, the e4300 has a FSB of 200MHz. DDR2 runs twice as fast as the FSB. (Hence the D) The ideal FSB to RAM ratio is 1:1. So running the FSB at 300MHz with a FSB to RAM ratio of 1:1 would equal a RAM speed of DDR2-600, which is slower than DDR2-667. So you would have to underclock any RAM faster than DDR2-600. Just a thought.