AMD ahead of NVIDIA

Valtiel

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2005
if it is 65nm this might solve the problem of R600's massive energy consumption. Of course I'm gonna take it with a grain of salt as it's from the inquirer but it would be a good reason for the ATI being behind nVidia for nearly 6 months. If it isn't too expensive I'll probably get one myself :)

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
if its true then it'll be good for AMD, cause the current power consumption details are the sort that make you wonder if you need your own power station to run your pc.

stefx

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
I'm no fan of AMD or ATI but if this is better then the 8800GTX then maybe i'll get one.

8800GTX is a card that was released 6+ months ago. If they release the R600, you'll have to compare it with whatever new card Nvidia will release too, not with the 8800GTX

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
What was the name of that song? Goes something along the line of 'speculation can be fun' or some such. Well something like that...

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
The R600 cards can be compared to whatever the top nvidia card of the moment is. So, if the 8800gtx is still the top card, that is what it will be compared to regardless of when it was released. Same way as Core 2 is compared to K8 even though K8 is how old? It's top compared to top regardless of release date and I don't think anyone in here is saying otherwise, it just happens to be that the 8800gtx is the highend card atm.

wes

LordPope

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
can you die shrink and have the chips in the stores in 5 months?
im not so sure this one is true

how do u know they weren't testing 65nm r600's along side the 80um ones....and decided to skip the 80um that would have launched already and go with the 65um

the first ATHLON was 250um and like 2 months later the 180un athlons were out.

it happens

bitter

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
I'm no fan of AMD or ATI but if this is better then the 8800GTX then maybe i'll get one.

8800GTX is a card that was released 6+ months ago. If they release the R600, you'll have to compare it with whatever new card Nvidia will release too, not with the 8800GTX
so what u say is that core duo should not be compared with K8 chips? am i right?

Harrisson

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
If AMD can pull this off, it would be smart move. Heating R600 which consumes ~240W is hardly anyones dream, but 65nm with lower power consumption and better overclocking chips seems nice way to start managing ATI division IMO.

immagikman

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
Not to pee in the cheerios but, until they actually put product on the shelf, it is all BS....put up or shut up. (to AMD, not you fine folks), Vaporware never impressed me. And guess who isn't talking about what they have waiting to respond with when AMD does finally ship...you think Nvidia is just kicking back and smoking a blunt while they let AMD catch up?

:lol:

Why?
If he's buying he compares against what in the market at the time.

It's not about comparing companies. If the GF8800 series taught us anything it's that waiting isn't always worth it. Better to buy, enjoy, then resell and rebuy when something better comes out .

immagikman

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
Yep, you will wait forever if you wait for the next best thing.

All this hype from AMD right now is the company trying to boost stock prices to fund their business.....thats all the "Pre-release" news ever is, work the crowd so when you do release there is this big spastic surge of sales.

This goes for any company that is releasing news about their "Next" product.

Vaporware never impressed me. And guess who isn't talking about what they have waiting to respond with when AMD does finally ship...

That's a funny segment there, Vaporware doesn't impress you, yet you are certain that the not even on the roadmap part from nV will be right there to reply to a 65nm R600. The thing is this 65nm R600 is being seen at Cebit right now, and by more than just the InQ, with AMD confirming the 'rumour'. Right now there's not much about a 65nm part from nV, so it'll likely be a few months behind. Of course that's just speculation vs speculation.

you think Nvidia is just kicking back and smoking a blunt while they let AMD catch up?

No more so than AMD was while the GF8800 was out, but wanting to release their next part and actually doing it are two different things. Would the GF8900 they currently have on the roadmap be a competitor of the 65nm R600? I suspect we'll see a staggered launch like the GTXD512 -> GF7900, something to fill the pipeline while a replacement comes out.

Until anything launches, including nV's refresh, it's all Vaporware until it solidifies/launches.

No1sFanboy

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006

Why?
If he's buying he compares against what in the market at the time.

It's not about comparing companies. If the GF8800 series taught us anything it's that waiting isn't always worth it. Better to buy, enjoy, then resell and rebuy when something better comes out .

Though it makes perfect sense that as a consumer you can only compare with what you can purchase I still agree with stefx. If the follow up to g80 is released closer to r600 than r600 to g80 then when comparing by generation the g80 had no competition.

Either way let's just get this graphics arms race back on. Six months is too long for G80 to go uncontested.

immagikman

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
:lol: I wasn't implying that I was all Hyped on NV having something better than R600 waiting in the wings, Im just saying that I prefer not to have the hype, mention it and let it go till it ships not this constant cheerleading......altho I guess AMD isn't the sole blame for this....the AMD fanboi club is also doing their share.

I am not saying NV products are better than AMD/ATi Im just saying until product ships its jack....ya know?

:)

Oh and everyone knocks NV for driver issues with Vista and implying that ATi will be soooo much better....welll DuH its easy to say how much better a product is, when it doesn't actually have to perform ;)

G

well it doesn't matter now. because they are already 7 months late compared to nvidia directx 10 card. if nvidia had also introduced geforce 8800 cards in may they would have been at 65nm too.

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Still, you can only compare the top end cards of the time. At this point in time, you can only compare whatever ATI's top end is to the 8800GTX. That's is how it works. So regardless of how long it is until Nvidia comes out with the new high end, the R600 will be compared to the 8800 until that day. When Nvidia comes out with the replacement, then the R600 top end will be compared to it. That is just how it works, doesn't matter how far apart the releases were. We don't compare K8 to Netburst just because the release dates were closer together than K8 and Core. We compare AMD high end parts to Intel high end parts that you can currently buy.

wes

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Why doesn't it matter now? So, they haven't released a DX10 card yet, how many DX10 games have you played or been able to buy? Also, Nvidia has not even released an 80nm core yet, which they ARE scheduled to do. So, since ATI has been selling products, not all, but they have been producing cards with 80nm cores since last October, what makes you think Nvidia would all of the sudden scrap the plans for 80nm and have 65nm? Are you kidding me?

wes

Edit: typo

Periander

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
Vaporware never impressed me. And guess who isn't talking about what they have waiting to respond with when AMD does finally ship...

That's a funny segment there, Vaporware doesn't impress you, yet you are certain that the not even on the roadmap part from nV will be right there to reply to a 65nm R600. The thing is this 65nm R600 is being seen at Cebit right now, and by more than just the InQ, with AMD confirming the 'rumour'. Right now there's not much about a 65nm part from nV, so it'll likely be a few months behind. Of course that's just speculation vs speculation.

Who says the .65nm R600 is being shown now? Everything is behind closed doors and DAMMIT is not even allowing photos of the R600 cards. It's quite possible what they are showing off now are still the old 80nm version, photos of which have been floating around for a while now.

Now its great news that we're supposed to get .65nm R600 in May, the power consumption figures that had been floating around for the 80nm version were insane and made such a card a non-starter for a lot of people. The bad news is this crazy long delay and the fact that DAMMIT couldn't come up with with something at 80nm that was worth releasing against the 90nm G80.

BTW the same source that broke R600 at 65nm is also reporting that the 8800 Ultra is coming out on April 17, before the R600. That is the card the R600 will have to match, and we don't know what changes they have made for it.

http://www.k-hardware.de/news.php?s=c&news_id=6408